IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

The prospect of 'you can do anything' isn't as appealing to me as learning the limitations of something that can be flexible if someone puts the time to learn it. Like the MnM for example. :)

This is definitely the case with the OT. You can make any sound you like using it alone, but you'll have to use some tricks and learn how to use it efficiently in order to do so. 

I think it's a perfect companion to the MnM, or really any other device, especially something with enough outputs to plug into the 4 OT inputs, but I often end up using it on its own, and shaping/mangling samples far beyond their original sound.

What about a tempest. It can do soooo much. Always wanted to pair a tempest with a mnm

6 voices

32 “tracks”

make any subtractive synth sound

some FM stuff

sequencer wide beat-wife effects

8x8 mod matrix

2 lfos

5 envelopes

8 bar patterns

A bunch of drum samples

Really wooden sounding kicks

The prospect of 'you can do anything' isn't as appealing to me as learning the limitations of something that can be flexible if someone puts the time to learn it. Like the MnM for example. :)

This is definitely the case with the OT. You can make any sound you like using it alone, but you'll have to use some tricks and learn how to use it efficiently in order to do so. 

I think it's a perfect companion to the MnM, or really any other device, especially something with enough outputs to plug into the 4 OT inputs, but I often end up using it on its own, and shaping/mangling samples far beyond their original sound.

I'm sure it's great and I'd love to get one. Two of my friends said they couldn't understand the workflow compared to other Elektron gear and I love learning new gear. But my plans are still to get better at drum/perc synthesis first. 

What about a tempest. It can do soooo much. Always wanted to pair a tempest with a mnm

6 voices

32 “tracks”

make any subtractive synth sound

some FM stuff

sequencer wide beat-wife effects

8x8 mod matrix

2 lfos

5 envelopes

8 bar patterns

A bunch of drum samples

Really wooden sounding kicks

I would absolutely love a Tempest. I've thought a lot about it and it's probably the best fit for what I want. But $ is tight since I've consciously taken a cut in yearly income for more free time for music. I could almost afford two original RYTM at what the Tempest is going for. In reality, even buying a RYTM would a risky financial move for me, but living modestly in exchange for more time for myself and family is well worth it.

What about MDuw then? You can also find a non-uw MD for 600 euros

From what I've seen, the MD and RYTM are close to the same price on used market in Canada.

If you don't need the fancy sequencer features and can tolerate a little button-pushing in place of knob-per-function, the Nord Drum 2 is great-sounding, versatile and quite tweakable, and can easily be used as a (percussive) melodic synth as well, plus it has great MIDI spec. Not sure what the RYTM runs, but I think I got my ND2 for 450 USD. You might have to watch the used market like a hawk for a while before you can snag one, though.

Also that new volca is looking pretty good but it might be a little cheap-sounding for your tastes.

Alternately get a cheap computer (used Thinkpads run ~$150 or even just run a Raspberry Pi headless), set up some patches in SuperCollider or PD, and pretend it's a hardware synth.

There’s a world beyond canada, y’no? ;)

So, you’d prefer rytm over md?

Still about the same price or more with shipping!

I think the RYTM has more room to expand when it comes to design compared to the MD, though the MD is also an amazing machine.

the whole day today i was playing with my OT and controlling MnM with it and MnM froze 4 times after i'd stop the music, let it blink and went to eat or something. repeated reboot didnt help, it'd get stuck showing the logo and OS number so i had to test-reboot it every time. diagnostics would show normal functioning, then i'd reboot it normally again and it'd work without problems. after it happened for the first time i almost died of horror but soon i found the solution, after 4th time im telling you this isnt funny anymore! now i'm afraid it could be a sign of a sirius problem... paranerd, now i feel your pain even more

Ah man!

Well, in my case this time it was just the PSU-2. It had a break in the cable, so my friend just cut it off and soldered it back together. So my MnM is not dead.

In your case, you probably just need to open it up and reseat all the ribbon cables. I had that problem happen to me before and reseating everything fixed it. This thread helped:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/how-i-repaired-my-monomachine-mk1-pics-of-internals-included/10880/7

i cant open the link, something went wrong with elektronauts page...

if it's just the internal cables that'd be great news! but i'm not sure should i open it myself cause it's still under warranty, i've bought it on june 16, 2016 from red dog online store in uk... FOR JUST 679 GBP :):):) (+ 55 gbp for shipping)

another question is to whom should i send it to..., to elektron or to red dog store?

post-7829-0-19284900-1553768239_thumb.jpg

Got my Fabrikat granulation pedal, it is an absolute beast and a beautiful piece of engineering.

16 different algorithms, each with multiple parameters, CV control, feedback loops, eq control etc...

It is more than just granulation though, there are delay, time stretch, speed effects which can all be controlled.

Plugged it into the kick and instantly made beauty.

Going to have some amazing times with this pedal, actually can't wait to get home to play with it again.

/gas

Edited by fletcher

If you don't need the fancy sequencer features and can tolerate a little button-pushing in place of knob-per-function, the Nord Drum 2 is great-sounding, versatile and quite tweakable, and can easily be used as a (percussive) melodic synth as well, plus it has great MIDI spec. Not sure what the RYTM runs, but I think I got my ND2 for 450 USD. You might have to watch the used market like a hawk for a while before you can snag one, though.

Also that new volca is looking pretty good but it might be a little cheap-sounding for your tastes.

Alternately get a cheap computer (used Thinkpads run ~$150 or even just run a Raspberry Pi headless), set up some patches in SuperCollider or PD, and pretend it's a hardware synth.

I did look at the ND2 last year it does look like fun. If it would pop up for cheap, it'd be tempting. 

New Volca does sound cool, but I fear it being too limited a palette. Who knows though, it's cheap.

I did take some time this Winter to learn some basics in PD for exactly that purpose since I have an unused Raspberry Pi. I looked into some drum synth patches out there to try out, but nothing grabbed me and sounded very CR8000/606/808 which would be redundant for me. For some reason PD patch builders love plonky sounding retro drums the most. One of my goals was to learn PD and build something I liked, but that's a lot of time to invest in between other things. I'm still learning the maths for building oscillators. :P

I also looked into Reaktor 5 since I had bought a copy years ago and did little with it. Again, none of the patches I was trying out interested me (more retro plonky drums!) and I didn't want to learn a different architecture when I was already getting versed in PD.

At this point I'm teetering over continuing to learn PD, a beneficial pursuit for many fields, or going to the more immediate lazy route and buying a RYTM.  :psyduck:

I did take some time this Winter to learn some basics in PD for exactly that purpose since I have an unused Raspberry Pi. I looked into some drum synth patches out there to try out, but nothing grabbed me and sounded very CR8000/606/808 which would be redundant for me. For some reason PD patch builders love plonky sounding retro drums the most. One of my goals was to learn PD and build something I liked, but that's a lot of time to invest in between other things. I'm still learning the maths for building oscillators.

I also looked into Reaktor 5 since I had bought a copy years ago and did little with it. Again, none of the patches I was trying out interested me (more retro plonky drums!) and I didn't want to learn a different architecture when I was already getting versed in PD.

At this point I'm teetering over continuing to learn PD, a beneficial pursuit for many fields, or going to the more immediate lazy route and buying a RYTM. :psyduck:

Yeah I have had mixed results with software modulars myself, but I'm giving Supercollider a try. It's slow going so far, but I consistently like what I hear out of it, and all signs point to it being the path forward for me.

I always end up frustrated with tools, hardware or software, so I'm trying to build something from the ground up that I can customize to suit my tastes. If I'm not skilled enough to make some part myself, and I can't find something I can customize, at least I can keep that part separate from the core, and I'll control how it integrates with the rest of the system instead of having to work around the frustrating limits of someone else's workstation design.

Or an Axoloti.

fabrikat-kick.jpg

Got my Fabrikat granulation pedal, it is an absolute beast and a beautiful piece of engineering.

16 different algorithms, each with multiple parameters, CV control, feedback loops, eq control etc...

It is more than just granulation though, there are delay, time stretch, speed effects which can all be controlled.

Going to have some amazing times with this pedal, actually can't wait to get home to play with it again.

/gas

At some point we are gonna have to stop calling them pedals

I say we call them petals

Edited by sheathe

Funny story: I bought a RYTM from a person on Elektronauts last night. This only happened because of all these ruminations in this thread and casually browsing ebay at work yesterday.

A person who lives an hour and a half from me had one up with 0 bids at $900. I quickly offered $1000 and that I'd come pick it up personally. No immediate answer, but a friend of mine messages me saying 'stop trying to weasel the RYTM from me!' He had made the same offer 2 hours before me and the person agreed! I fucking lost it because I knew this RYTM was going to be played with for maybe a day or two and then forgotten in the rest of his pile of high end gear forever. I went on a fevered rant that my GF had listen to about how many people I personally know who snipe prized gear to just watch it all gather dust in a corner. I was so livid because I've been mulling over this RYTM idea for a year to figure out if I could take the financial hit, if it was the right fit in my setup, would it give me the design flexibility I want, etc. At most, this person who knee-jerk sniped it will probably say how awesome it is after dicking around with the preset sounds for a few hours. 

I calm down and go on Elektronauts to find someone in British Columbia selling one at $1100+shipping. I quickly offered $1000+shipping and they agreed. I'm excited. Thanks for helping me get my gear priorities figured out, guys.

fabrikat-kick.jpg

/gas

At some point we are gonna have to stop calling them pedals

I say we call them petals

I know right.  I am totally in love with this machine, my only gripe is the mono output but I stuck my DOD stereo flanger straight after it to rectify the issue.   Made so many sounds last night that reminded me of Quaristice / elseq beat fuckery.

We've been short staffed at work since January so I've been getting about 10  extra hours a week, which means I'm less broke than usual.

So I did the responsible thing and finally got myself the legendary Behringer V-Verb Pro, to complement the excellent fake sounding reverbs in the BAM with some pretty well regarded realistic reverbs. It's not as special as it was when it came out and there wasn't really anything nearly as good in its price range for realistic reverb, but even now it's a whole lot cheaper than something like a Strymon pedal, plus some people seem to really like the multiband compressor they threw in as a bonus so hey, maybe that's good too.

Extra justification is that I can hook up the S/PDIF optical and wordclock connections to my interface and get an extra pair of decent 24/96 I/O channels, and even with the inflated eBay prices a well maintained one is still cheaper than a Volca.

I am obsessed with reverbs, it's true. Especially cheap/crappy ones, but cheap nice ones are good too. 

I blame my friend who came over Thursday night for this last one, we spent a couple of hours just playing two guitars through a reclocked Behringer reverb with the clock rate all the way down and it set off my reverb GAS big time and then I got an eBay alert for a V-Verb at an acceptable price the next morning and couldn't resist.