IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Waiting for Superbooth... then will probably go for a Digitone.

All the vids/audio exemples I've heard are great, and the more I jam with TidalCycles the more I want to keep everything real-time (and need to free up CPU), and a Digitone definitely looks like the perfect contender.

I didn't want to start my own thread for this but how does this computer look for music making (i already bought it oops)

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 processor

16GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Dual Storage (3.5'' 1TB HDD+ M.2 128GB PCIe SSD)

Yes!! The Grandmother already had all my attention but I really didn't need another monophonic semi modular synth. I was looking for a good paraphonic so I guess the Matriarch will be my first Moog!

at first i was thinking.. paraphonic could be bad and annoying.. and it might still be.. 

but i also think what i've heard so far sounds Good. you could maybe use sequencing as a means of working around the shortcomings + the modular open nature of the interface means you could have fun with the 4 oscs i think. it looks good. but also $$$ so i won't be getting it anytime soon ofc. just a bit of GAS is all :-) 

yeah a bit pricey IMHO but sounds super lush. Also +1 for the valhalla Delay , looking forward to try it this summer in my future home (about time)

Edited by D4M0

So today was my best gear score day in a long time, probably the best since I got an MPC2000xl and an Otari MX5050MKIV for $120 back in 2009, or when some stranger offered me a really clean, mid 70s Ampeg B-15 out of his back yard for $30 because he saw me loading gear into a basement for a show next door back on '04 or '05.  This sort of thing doesn't happen very often since I moved to a smaller city (the only thing here that came close is when a neighbor gave me a pair of AR2AX speakers and a matched set of almost unused Yamaha stereo components from the late 90s, with a dual cassette deck, a surround amp and a 5 disc CD changer, the latter two of which I gave away instantly). Someone I know inherited a bunch of gear from a relative who was a jazz musician and offered it all to me for free, no strings attached, because she wants it to go to other people who will use it, whether I keep it all or give it to friends or whatever.  So when I have a chance to go get it all in about two weeks I will have (in ascending order of coolness):

A Tascam RCA patchbay

A Realistic desktop graphic EQ

Some unspecified noise reduction unit

A nice, late 90s Technics CD player

A nice Onkyo dual cassette deck

Some sort of 80s 1u stereo compressor I don't recognize (the logo wasn't visible in the photo)

A Digitech VTP-1 tube preamp in a top-line SKB 2u rack case

A Peavey Univerb (not a Univerb II) for some more exotic cheesy 80s digital reverb than anything I currently own

A pristine mid 60s Akai M8 portable tube 1/4" reel to reel with fantastic preamps

100% free.  The catch is most of them don't have power supplies, but most of them are pretty standard and easy to replace if I don't already have something that will work.

Also there's possibly some unspecified variety of 4 track down the road, but she's using that to digitize all of the relative's old recordings before she gets rid of it. Most of it is single owner, and all of it was well cared for by a working musician and record collector with perfect pitch who took very good care of it.

She was a lo-fi experimental musician in the 80s and early 90s and knows what this stuff is, so it's all above board, she just wants it to keep being used.

post-19174-0-81587800-1556499149_thumb.jpg

(Sadly that oscilloscope in the photo wasn't offered and I'd feel bad asking after all she's already given me, but maybe I should)

Also if that wasn't enough, an old friend of mine just texted to offer me side work testing and repairing old arcade machines this summer, which is something I've always wanted to get in to but never mentioned to anyone.

Mind = blown

Edited by RSP

^yeah saw that a few weeks ago or when he posted it, insane the sounds he was easily getting. really cool machine, probably way too expensive, haven't even looked lol

I've been seriously, seriously considering selling off most of my rack synths and using the money to buy a kit and parts to make a Kimji and taht video is not helping.

You know what I want?  What I really, really want?

Something that will convert RGBHV component video into S-video and/or composite video ENTIRELY IN THE ANALOG DOMAIN.  I haven't found anything.  Ever.  Digital stuff, sure, but that doesn't play well with what I want to do - patch the individual color channels into guitar pedals and stuff and then recombine them with the sync signals and record it to VHS.

I've done it before by taking a pair of VGA-to RGBHV and RGBHV-to-VGA cables, patching the sync lines straight to each other and patching the color lines through filters and pedals, and then using the VGA out on my laptop as the source and an old Dell LCD monitor as the output, and that works great but I've never successfully gotten anything that could record the results, other than pointing a camera at the LCD.  I guess a timebase corrector would work but they're hard to find with RGBHV (I have one for digitizing damaged VHS tapes but it only does composite and S-video).

I'd given up on it years ago but now I suddenly have a line on some decent paying work messing up video footage for a guy and it would be cool if I could do that.  So far, still no luck.

EDIT: I know some of the new modular video synth stuff that's been coming out the last couple years can do it, but this wouldn't pay nearly well enough to cover a video synth unfortunately.

Edited by RSP

Is it not possible to make your own cable to go from rgbhv to s-video if you find out the right pins? 

It needs additional circuitry, which is the part that I want but can't design myself.  RGBHV has the sync on separate lines (5 discrete signals total), S-video and other component formats multiplex the sync with other components of the video signal, so they don't work for this because you completely destroy the sync signal with even minimal processing. If I had a timebase corrector that could accept RGBHV that might do the job, but they're harder to find and tend to cost more if you do find them.  I've tried a few inexpensive VGA-to-composite converters but they won't handle the signals I'm trying to feed them.  Only thing I've tried so far that works is those old Dell LCDs.

But I have picked up a couple dirt cheap old Avermedia AverKey VGA to composite downscalers that I use to run the VGA output from laptops into old video switchers and VCRs and things, but I haven't had a chance to try with this yet so maybe I'll luck out with those where other VGA-to-composite boxes failed.

Ah right, I knew that component has the sync on green but for some reason though s-video, because of the 5 pins, would have separate lines as well.   

Edited by user
weird commas

IIRC s-video is chroma, Lumia and sync with two pins unused  or something like that. I know my old capture device accepts s-video on three BNC connectors instead of the usual cable.

Does anyone have experience with Roland XV-5080? I have been thinking about downsizing my stuff and getting some cool multi timbral rack module that does basic stuff like sampled pianos and old trance/hip hop presets.

10 hours ago, thawkins said:

Does anyone have experience with Roland XV-5080? I have been thinking about downsizing my stuff and getting some cool multi timbral rack module that does basic stuff like sampled pianos and old trance/hip hop presets.

I own one. It's one of the all-time great ROMPLER's for synth tones. Monster patch design capabilities. If you have the patience to work with it, you can get some ridiculously cool stuff. Effects are unfortunately a bit light (no COSM weirdness, just standard Roland Chorus/Phaser, Reverb/Delays of the era), and the drums are hilariously bad. It sounds like someone sampled the exact same sound and layered it about 6 times over and not doing anything about the aliasing.

So yeah, for what you want, it will more than fill that role. Just avoid the drums ?

edit:  And long shot but I'll ask 'cause I'm curious. Has anyone here used both an XV-5080 and an Integra-7 and have any comparisons?

Edited by Taupe Beats

12 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

I own one. It's one of the all-time great ROMPLER's for synth tones. Monster patch design capabilities. If you have the patience to work with it, you can get some ridiculously cool stuff. Effects are unfortunately a bit light (no COSM weirdness, just standard Roland Chorus/Phaser, Reverb/Delays of the era), and the drums are hilariously bad. It sounds like someone sampled the exact same sound and layered it about 6 times over and not doing anything about the aliasing.

So yeah, for what you want, it will more than fill that role. Just avoid the drums ?

edit:  And long shot but I'll ask 'cause I'm curious. Has anyone here used both an XV-5080 and an Integra-7 and have any comparisons?

Hey thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like something nice for my small studio. I currently have a Korg MicroX that I use basically as a sound module like that, but that one does not fit neatly in a rack. I have already sampled all the drums off it (or most of them) so should be well prepared for the bad drums on XV-5080.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to use an editor for the XV-5080? I found something called Patch Base and it seems really good (but only for iPad) https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

Someone I know is selling me an almost unused 2016 laptop so I don't have to budget for replacing my current one (it's almost a decade old and barely works), plus a guy I do work for occasionally in LA asked me to do video effects for a music video he's pitched to an artist I can't name yet, and it's not 100% yet but it's looking more and more likely and I should know within a week or so at most.  Between that stuff and my usual spring freelance job and a bunch of extra hours at my day job this month I've got a really good shot at being able to afford a Kijimi PCB set by the end of June.  Which would be amazing.  Getting parts, having a front panel made, and building the whole thing would take a few months but it would definitely be worth it.

Realistically it would be smarter to put the money into a barebones modular video synth with room to grow, since it could actually pay for itself, but forget that, the Kijimi is everything I want in a polysynth and more, and I'd probably be able to sell of about half of my current setup if I had one.

Edited by TubularCorporation

I can't remember what this thing is called, it's got 4 letters in its name, and it's like a portable sampler but it keys off of electromagnetic interference or something?

It's proper cool. Want want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiGn0LPMPs

funnily enough, sheathe posted a very similar question last month about the same company. 

the dude makes cool interesting shit ? 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:36 AM, sheatheman said:

What’s that one semi modular drum machine that uses alligator clips? Anyone heard anything on it?