modey

the watmm GAS thread

1 hour ago, flacid said:

What are your favourite/best sounding modular oscillators 

i tend to prefer the ones that go bleep, but I do also like some that go bloop.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

I now have this exact GAS.

It is june - my GAS ban is lifted! But I need some money yet... 🙂

Christ, why did you have to remind me of this little thing.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, modey said:

I haven't tried the quant yet actually! I'm mostly using the disting for wavetable/sample playback at the moment. The 2hp tune is alright, but pretty limited. I haven't noticed any weirdness with it yet.

The disting is great though. I could imagine having two in my rack at some point. Multipurpose modules are great imo. It'd be interesting making a mini 42hp rack with 3x warps (w/parasite firmware) and 3x disting lol.

Just installed a μO_C in my rack. Wasn't really planning on it but turns out there's someone in my area building them and was selling for a good price, great build too. It's even deeper than I anticipated, on the other hand it's easy to get something started after cursory manual reading. It's amazing how many avenues it opens up and how many cables and attenuverters it eats up :D

9 hours ago, flacid said:

I like STO. Pretty basic but it sounds nice. I'm also considering swapping my Elements for a Plaits or Braids (or maybe just Rings for the pseudo-polyphony).

5 hours ago, user said:

Just installed a μO_C in my rack. Wasn't really planning on it but turns out there's someone in my area building them and was selling for a good price, great build too. It's even deeper than I anticipated, on the other hand it's easy to get something started after cursory manual reading. It's amazing how many avenues it opens up and how many cables and attenuverters it eats up 😄

Oh nice! I'm always tempted by O_C when it comes up in sale groups, but I think two menu-divey modules are enough for my small setup.

i first got a dixie 2 then got an STO, and between the two i def prefer the STO. that triangle looking out with the pulsewidth modulation is just real nice and buzzy, but still pretty basic and simple. when you feed it into filters you just get nicer sounding things coming out of it i found.. compared to the dixie. maybe my dixie set to 'boring' or something on the dip switch ???

Posted (edited)

"Lets spread some GAS" - meetup 1991

ccrmaphoto.jpg

(standing from left, John Chowning, Bob Moog, Paul Lansky, David Wessel, Roger Lind, Dave Smith, Don Buchla, ???, Tom Oberheim, Victor Karamov
seated, from left, David Jaffe, Lev Theremin, Max Mathews, Theremin's granddaughter, Andy Schloss)

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 2

Holy shit.

That is indeed an awesome photo.

No turning back now, I ordered a Kijimi PCB set. 

I figure that at the rate I'll be able to afford parts it should be finished by the end of January.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:03 PM, flacid said:

I can't think of any oscillators I've had that sound bad, it comes down more to the features.  Having said that the Serge NTO (and DUSG) sound great.  The STO was obviously inspired by it.  Expensive even as diy, but worth it. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, kakapo said:

I can't think of any oscillators I've had that sound bad, it comes down more to the features.  Having said that the Serge NTO (and DUSG) sound great.  The STO was obviously inspired by it.  Expensive even as diy, but worth it. 

On 6/6/2019 at 4:10 AM, modey said:

I like STO. Pretty basic but it sounds nice. I'm also considering swapping my Elements for a Plaits or Braids (or maybe just Rings for the pseudo-polyphony).

Oh nice! I'm always tempted by O_C when it comes up in sale groups, but I think two menu-divey modules are enough for my small setup.

Sounds like the STO is where it's at. Some nice FM sounds on Youtube. Presume the DPO is STO x2? 

10 hours ago, flacid said:

Sounds like the STO is where it's at. Some nice FM sounds on Youtube. Presume the DPO is STO x2? 

To clarify, I like the STO, but I'm referring to Euro Serge NTO as expensive but worth it(Random*Source in particular).  The DPO isn't a double STO.  DPO takes inspiration from Buchla, the STO Serge, but they will pair together well.

DPO rules.