IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Guest Chesney

haha yeah, I had to leave a FB synth sale group because of that, and the fact there were lots of arseholes driving prices up stupidly.

the prices in eurorack atm are pretty stupid purely because of brexit. i get about 550 euros for 500 pounds, and yet a module i can buy in rubadub for 400 pounds new is often 400 euros for sale in europe, not the sellers fault, but its great for my spontaneous drunken want to buy shit. 

should I buy a nord lead 1 (keys version) with broken headphone out (easy fix) and broken upper C key (also probably easy fix) for $500 or best offer (my offer would be $400)? It *is* my birthday next week.. or maybe I should hold off for a nord rack so I can actually take it to gigs..

i have a pretty goog thing going on with my modular. i just pay 40 quid a week to my local dealer, and get the modules on tick. so a 200 quid module i have 5 weeks to actually get to grips with it in the context of my system, an eventide pedal would be 2 months etc. its a perfect balance between just buying stuff you dont want cos its there and you have cash, and actually learning and understanding what you are buying. 

im actually ready to write an entire album of lush ambient/classically structured music just using my blofeld, clouds, and eventide space. absolutely beautiful sounds coming through that combo. 

Yeah, a friend of mine who moved away a couple years ago had a space and it sounded fantastic, and a guy who used to play in a band with both of us around that same time had a Blofeld, so I can imagine how good the two would sound together even though I've never had them in the same place at the same time.

Modey, that is a hard call.  I usually go with the rack versions of stuff because they're typically cheaper and they take up less space, but then the couple of keyboards I usually have around tend to get the most use because for me it's just faster and more fun to program sounds on something self contained.

Edited by RSP

It just keeps growing....

SYh8Nz8.jpg

I have an RYO 3X VCA build that is giving me trouble.  Once it's finished I'll have built 6U of 104hp and I'll be taking a break from expansion since we just bought a house and my student loan payments have shot up nearly 5x  :cry:

Modey, that is a hard call.  I usually go with the rack versions of stuff because they're typically cheaper and they take up less space, but then the couple of keyboards I usually have around tend to get the most use because for me it's just faster and more fun to program sounds on something self contained.

yeah, my thoughts are the same. Realistically, I would probably still keep a rack version at home, because they're still fairly wide, and instead sample it into the octatrack for gig use. I'll do a bit more research, and maybe put in an offer and see how I go. From my research so far, the nord lead 1 seems to be more of the 'classic' sound that I've been using emulated versions of (a reaktor patch and Synth1), rather than the 2, which apparently had a redesigned engine?

SYh8Nz8.jpg

I have an RYO 3X VCA build that is giving me trouble.  Once it's finished I'll have built 6U of 104hp and I'll be taking a break from expansion since we just bought a house and my student loan payments have shot up nearly 5x  :cry:

god damnit every time I look at modular stuff lately, I think "hmm, what if?".. realistically though, the most I'd get out of modular is probably the sequencing. For me, I still haven't quite progressed beyond FM and subtractive synthesis. Still though, it's getting more and more difficult to resist..

Edited by modey

It's about $2k worth of parts and hours of my time.

The missing one isn't working properly yet but the gap doesn't bother me, it's taken me 6 months to get this far.

SYh8Nz8.jpg

how much did you paid for all of this?

btw... you miss one :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Chesney

Was about to say, they're all the DIY ones yeah?

The mutable modules do sound rad. Mate has a few and I got a deep pang of GAS for modular when I went round and had a go. I have held off though and quelled the feeling.

The missing one isn't working properly yet but the gap doesn't bother me, it's taken me 6 months to get this far.

SYh8Nz8.jpg

2k? Well, that's ok, i guess. I tought it was more.

i buy everything brand new without discount from my synth shop because it means i get stuff on tick, and also its just nice supporting a local business and i really dont mind spending all my money on synths. 

if i was to save up the money for modules before i actually buy them i would save ten percent, but sensibility is not really my style. 

im on about £5000 so far.

Moneny! If id work in uk what i've been working in my country id have a monthly salary of 5-10k pounds and i wouldnt mind spending 1-2k every month on gear.

Edit: Hmmm waitaminute! That'd be 12, or lets say 25k per year, after 10 yrs id have a studio with gear worth of 250.000 pounds! My god!

Edited by xox

watmm_hautlle-rack.jpg

Yah, but if you pay yourself $5,000 an hour and spent about 20 hours completing it, that's like $102,000 total, yo.  Fucking luxurious.

Edited by peace 7

lol

Got the nord lead, it's everything I wanted it to be. I think the broken key is just dirty (given that about 20% of the keys play stuck notes sometimes, and it was covered in a layer of dust), and the headphone jack looks like a pretty standard PCB mount deal, so it's likely I can fix it this weekend.

It's only the unexpanded (4-voice) version, but I kinda thrive on limited polyphony anyway. Sequencing it from the octatrack is awesome.

Well, it's running a bit behind schedule so it won't be here until tomorrow or Thursday, but a little over a week ago I finally found a low enough price to put my many years of wanting a 90s video switcher, and will soon have a Sony VFX-100 taking up way too much shelf space (for the price of 3 or 4 dinners at a local Indian place, or as many cab rides across town).

Well worth it for something that will let me do all kinds of public access grade wipes and keying, and also make my apartment feel just a bit more like a spaceship.

consola-sony-modelo-fxe-100-p-video-edit

The price of analog video equipment on eBay compared to reputable dealers is just as insane as ever, if not more so.  Cheapest I could find one of these from an actual dealer was over $2600 USD, but on eBay even an overpriced one is well below 10% of that. I paid a little under $80 for one about as clean as that photo, that is allegedly fully tested and from a seller who offers returns.  I've seen some great inputless-mixer glitchy video stuff done with similar switchers, they have a great look especially if you have two of them to feed into one another.

Edited by RSP

Unfortunately about half of the features of it are completely useles for me, I wish it was much smaller.  All of those oldschool computer keyboard looking keys on the right are jsut for remote controlling VCRs (you can build an edit list and then have it automatically assemble your edit from two source VCRs onto a third recording VCR, but that of course means you need 3 professional VCRS - which are also dirt cheap but HUGE, heavy and will inevitably fail, plus there's absolutely no reason to work that way unless you're an analog video purist (I'm sure they're on the way if they aren't already out there), which seems like a kind of silly thing to be.

But yeah, 80s and 90s broadcast equipment looks amazing, and again it costs nothing.  I've got half a mind to buy an animated logo generator (basically you can load like 20 seconds of video into it and it will chroma-key that over whatever signal you put through it, which was SERIOUS BUSINESS 25 years ago when they were new, so they're very overbuilt, professional machines that amount to a real-time hardware implementation of Blingee technology) just because they're like $25 but I'm not that far gone yet.

My first plan for it is to hook up the handful of old security cameras and little CRT TVs I've trashpicked over the years and go nuts with video feedback for a weekend.