IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I'm keen to see what they've done in terms of performance features, as most trackers are pretty lacking in that department. Renoise has a few things, but is still a bit rigid. I did get some interesting performances out of Buzz though, as the pattern format itself was quite modular, I'm wondering if Polyend will do something similar. 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, psn said:

That Polyend Tracker is intriguing. 

will be too expensive for most and i don't personally need one but i'm also intrigued and am waiting for them to drop some real info about it. the 'tracker' thing sounds like it might be a bit of a misstep in branding from what i've gathered (but i have zero experience with trackers so i cannot comment myself)

Yeah the reason why a tracker workflow works for me is that it's very fast with a keyboard. Then again, people love using LSDJ/LGPT etc on game consoles..

1 hour ago, xox said:

I’ve never used one so... What’s the advantage of trackers vs regular sequencers anyway? 

More precision, or at least precision is at the forefront. And depending on who you talk to, more focus on maximising sequences; have a look at early 90s Amiga modules and there are a lot of tricks used to make it sound like there are more channels than the four that were available. 

Elektron sequencers were basically inspired by trackers, which have had the equivalent of parameter locks since the beginning. 

1 hour ago, Brian Dance said:

This guy can make anything sound dull.

oof, you best not be dissing my boy richie*

(* I don't know him personally, but I admire his sound design work, and he's just an all round wholesome guy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, modey said:

Yeah the reason why a tracker workflow works for me is that it's very fast with a keyboard. Then again, people love using LSDJ/LGPT etc on game consoles..

LSDJ/LGPT are much better than traditional trackers at copy/paste, shifting blocks of values up/down, and sequence reuse (via phrases and tables), so to some degree they make up for it, and in some instances might actually be better.

LGPT is powerful. If it had been maintained for the last 5 years, including minor feature additions (like better filters, maybe smooth vector-type automation) I think it could be enjoying a decent following today instead of the dozen or so people still using it. However, the C++ codebase has a ton of bit rot, and I'm not aware of anyone who's taken on modernizing it. I've taken a couple stabs at it, but I have no other C++ experience and got in the weeds pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Entorwellian said:

The best handheld tracker is always going to be lsdj for gameboy.

I think Trash80's one looks promising, as it's based on lsdj to an extent. He invented the "prosound" mod for gameboy, and the arduinoboy + associated lsdj code mods for midi control, so he knows his shit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Yeah it's kinda hard to google. Try Little GP Tracker or Little GamePark Tracker. 

Hey this reminds me... what do you guys think of the PRON sequencer?? 

heh

ehehe

:emotawesomepm9: