IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

40 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

well damn fellas. i've made better stuff with the cycles in the first few hours than any other elektron stuff ive had.

Are you saying that the models model is futaaa?!

p.s. im very close to sell my elektrons (ot, mduw, mnm, ah) and go back itb

...(ok, maybe not mnm)

@xox

why! you always saying how much you love em?

i dont think i understand your comment tho.

this is me trying to do some more crazy kind of stuff. since i totaled my truck on the hwy on saturday i just feel like posting song clips. sorry.

ddnq7e8-d428c054-26a3-4cb4-9bc4-70f82a91

sudran.mp3

Edited by sheatheman

i do miss mine. i really prefer clickly buttons like that (mechanical?) opposed to these rubber ones on the cycles. and the knobs are so hard to turn when i work up a sweat during a jam...

• Like 1

It wasn't a 100% confident purchase, there are a lot of options out there, but I like what it seems to be going for and willing to give it a try. I wanted more flexibility than a dedicated drum machine and the idea of messing with straight recordings seems very fun. The keys are alright, I was worried they'd be too noisy and clicky like cash register buttons, but they're alright, not very resistant. The menus seem fairly straightforward, I bet there's a lot of weirdness in there. People have small freaking hands on YouTube, i thought it'd be bigger but it's small enough to move around. The lights are freaking bright!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheatheman said:

well damn fellas. i've made better stuff with the cycles in the first few hours than any other elektron stuff ive had.

Yeah same. Something about it really inspires me. Probably just how close it sounds to nanoloop 2 tbh ?

I'm glad it's working out for you!

Edited by modey
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kakapo said:

Where's this from, is it on the Kijimi fb group?  That just about settles the decision for next diy job, I have 9 eurorack filters and the e440 is still my favourite 6 years after I got it.  Sometimes I'm tempted to sell the rest and just got 7 more e440s.

Yeah, Roman posted in there the other day with a photo, boards are done and preorder is being sorted out.

• Like 1

Oh man I had the greatest session with some of Legowelt's Mono/Poly samples and various drums. It sounds great, drums great and is also excellent at melodic lines and dubby B/G stuff. It's easy to do glitchy weirdness but I wanted to get more natural sounds out of it and that's no problem.  I expected more of a learning curve but it's pretty effortless, soo quick and responsive once you get the hang of it. It gets kind of messy trying to work elaborate trigs. I'd have loved a way to combine the chance and A:B trig options. But that seems to be a Digitakt thing, it's got a wicked workflow despite some serious limits like lousy memory, 8 tracks (the 8 unused midi tracks just sitting there hurts), few filter options and F/X. Mono sampling isn't really an issue and the one LFO per track thing didn't bother me as you can do so much with just the envelopes and trigs.  So if you can cherrypick your samples and just want to get funky with some patterns, it's a beast. You can easily do a full track by multitracking two or three separate patterns.

Finally bought my first eurorack case last night. Kind of a dumb move because still I'm not 100% sure what modules I want, but it felt like I was going to hem and haw forever unless I just picked one. At least I got one that's nice and deep so it shouldn't be an issue. Wish me luck...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Finally bought my first eurorack case last night. Kind of a dumb move because still I'm not 100% sure what modules I want, but it felt like I was going to hem and haw forever unless I just picked one. At least I got one that's nice and deep so it shouldn't be an issue. Wish me luck...

youre-doomed.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

youre-doomed.png

It was only a matter of time!

I'm going through that stupid beginner indecision and urge to fill it up that everyone talks about. The weird thing for me is that I'm super attracted to utility modules like Maths, Cold Mac, Happy Nerding's mixers, Stages, etc., but I'm not finding many oscillators that are interesting to me - it seems like most noobs start out the other way around. I might just go for one of those sampler/tape modules like the Morphagene, W/, Disting, or that new-ish Instruo one because I can do some sound-on-sound and delay-type stuff as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

It was only a matter of time!

I'm going through that stupid beginner indecision and urge to fill it up that everyone talks about. The weird thing for me is that I'm super attracted to utility modules like Maths, Cold Mac, Happy Nerding's mixers, Stages, etc., but I'm not finding many oscillators that are interesting to me - it seems like most noobs start out the other way around. I might just go for one of those sampler/tape modules like the Morphagene, W/, Disting, or that new-ish Instruo one because I can do some sound-on-sound and delay-type stuff as well.

I'm taking a break but I've got something like 140hp full and only one 8HP oscillator in there, it's all modulation sources and filters and other stuff for processing signals from other places, even the oscillator I've only hooked up as a sound source once when I was calibrating it, I mostly use it for audio rate modulation.

As far as sample based stuff, they're not cheap but the Bitbox modules look really cool.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

As far as sample based stuff, they're not cheap but the Bitbox modules look really cool.

Those seem very full-featured. I know I'm being a real princess saying this, but I want to avoid getting a module without a screen if I can help it, at least for now. That said I can see a Disting and/or a Pam's in my near future, I'd just like to focus on more touchy feely (and somewhat blinky) UIs for a bit.

6 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Welcome to the club.

The dumb losers club.

The dumb losers of money club.

Also, if you’re interested in Maths but think it’s a bit expensive, check out the Doepfer A-171-2. In a way it’s like half of a Maths. It definitely is very versatile. AND it has a bit of a Serge sound to it because, well, it’s a Serge design:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1712.htm

• Like 2

Just now, rhmilo said:

Welcome to the club.

The dumb losers club.

The dumb losers of money club.

Also, if you’re interested in Maths but think it’s a bit expensive, check out the Doepfer A-171-2. In a way it’s like half of a Maths. It definitely is very versatile. AND it has a bit of a Serge sound to it because, well, it’s a Serge design:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1712.htm

Thank you thank you :cisfor:

Nice, I like how much less HP it is - I wonder how it compares to the MN Function? I really, really like how Maths can be like 8+ different things (including a mixer, constant voltage, and offset), which makes it seem reasonably priced to me, but I'm open to other options. Also the Befaco Rampage looks tempting but I have the impression that it doesn't go into audio rate like Maths does? At any rate, I do hope to get some Doepfer in this case - in particular their sequential switch, switchable mults, and dual S&H look good.

I've already set aside more money for this thing than I expect I can fill up my first case with, unless I go for Cwejman or an ER-301 or something silly like that.

Side note: yay, I snagged a Three Sisters whose price wasn't totally gouged. First module! Filters sorted. For now ;)

• Like 1

Nnnhhgggh.... resisting eurorack still.. for now.  If I make the leap I will have to sell a bunch of stuff I have to make space for it (and raise some funds).

Happy fiddling with pedals and sticking with my lo-fi approach. Yes.  really, I am.

• Like 1

I didn't want to create a new thread about this, so I'm just gonna post this here...

How far should one bother to go in order to get what was promised by a customer support? We're talking about a company that does hardware and software here. Long story short: my order got delayed by two months and I was promised a plugin for free. Ever since I told them, "Thank you and I would like THIS plugin" I haven't heard back from them. I've emailed them four times since and I haven't heard a word.
With everything going on in the world I feel like it would be the most tone deaf thing to tag them in a tweet, but this is just getting silly.

I actually saw a minor celebrity on Instagram tagging them because he had bought some of their hardware which didn't work as advertised and they immediately contacted him in order to prevent a celebrity-forest-fire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squee said:

I didn't want to create a new thread about this, so I'm just gonna post this here...

How far should one bother to go in order to get what was promised by a customer support? We're talking about a company that does hardware and software here. Long story short: my order got delayed by two months and I was promised a plugin for free. Ever since I told them, "Thank you and I would like THIS plugin" I haven't heard back from them. I've emailed them four times since and I haven't heard a word.
With everything going on in the world I feel like it would be the most tone deaf thing to tag them in a tweet, but this is just getting silly.

I actually saw a minor celebrity on Instagram tagging them because he had bought some of their hardware which didn't work as advertised and they immediately contacted him in order to prevent a celebrity-forest-fire.

Twitter storm away, and tag the minor-celebrity in it too.  What could go wrong.

5 minutes ago, Squee said:

Personally I would just let it slide if the original delay was due to the pandemic issues or something huge and beyond their control like that.

Otherwise, fuck it and tag them. There are so many companies doing their customer support on social media now that I am not surprised some have forgotten how to use e-mail properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thawkins said:

Personally I would just let it slide if the original delay was due to the pandemic issues or something huge and beyond their control like that.

Otherwise, fuck it and tag them. There are so many companies doing their customer support on social media now that I am not surprised some have forgotten how to use e-mail properly.

The delay happened back in October 2019, so unless they had a bat in their mouth, I don't think it anything to do with Covid-19.

Yeah, I might just try and tag them. But I don't want to come off as being an entitled little asshole.

11 minutes ago, Squee said:

The delay happened back in October 2019, so unless they had a bat in their mouth, I don't think it anything to do with Covid-19.

Yeah, I might just try and tag them. But I don't want to come off as being an entitled little asshole.

Hit them up on their Facebook page? That interaction will not be public.

Otherwise make a throwaway account on Twitter/Instagram and tag them there. Only bring your main public account into this if you need to - it's ridiculous already to have to depend on your "celebrity" status to get a response from customer service.

Honestly even though these are tough times, running things in e-commerce should not really be affected as everything is online anyway. Yes, the physical delivery will get delayed probably, but everything else should work, doubly so because this will help "the economy" to function as much as it can nowadays.

Edit: in any interactions you will never come off as an entitled asshole if you are polite and understanding of the situation.

Edited by thawkins

6 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Those seem very full-featured. I know I'm being a real princess saying this, but I want to avoid getting a module without a screen if I can help it, at least for now. That said I can see a Disting and/or a Pam's in my near future, I'd just like to focus on more touchy feely (and somewhat blinky) UIs for a bit.

I get that completely, it sort of defeats the purpose for me.

• Like 1

Following up that sequencer topic, I did not order any new hardware or anything like that.

Instead I sat down and put some MIDI effects together in a chain in Live. There's a really cool M4L effect called the NoteModulator that comes as a part of some free pack, so I fed two alternating chords in an arpeggiator and put modulated the individual "steps" velocity using the modulator. The Chord effect was also useful to add additional harmonics. This track is just one take of recording while messing with Push to change parameters.

Just wanted to post this as a motivational to prove small victories are possible against GAS. I still want a hardware sequencer but not so much anymore...

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Following up that sequencer topic, I did not order any new hardware or anything like that.

Instead I sat down and put some MIDI effects together in a chain in Live. There's a really cool M4L effect called the NoteModulator that comes as a part of some free pack, so I fed two alternating chords in an arpeggiator and put modulated the individual "steps" velocity using the modulator. The Chord effect was also useful to add additional harmonics. This track is just one take of recording while messing with Push to change parameters.

Just wanted to post this as a motivational to prove small victories are possible against GAS. I still want a hardware sequencer but not so much anymore...

There's very little GAS that can't be cured either by waiting a week or two or by sitting down behind a computer and downloading an M4L tool or two.

(said the man who owns half a dozen monos, including a Eurorack setup - do as I say, not as I do)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

There's very little GAS that can't be cured either by waiting a week or two or by sitting down behind a computer and downloading an M4L tool or two.

(said the man who owns half a dozen monos, including a Eurorack setup - do as I say, not as I do)

Yeah, "by waiting a week or two" means that this is your regular mail delivery time from order date?

In this case sometimes my GAS is cured only 3 days later, even faster if paying for priority delivery.

:emotawesomepm9:

• Haha 1