IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

sheeee....i'm moving to tokyo!!!

peace, how bout other gear, like hw audio processors, comps and eqs? are those cheap too? 

On the non-junk floor, only a bit cheap...  Like standard used whatever.  But on the junk floor, last time I checked, the only audio processor ting was a Roland GP-100 and some other stuff I don't remember.  Nothing that I was like HOLY FUCK over.

Figured this should be the right thread.

I have between €1200-€1500 ($1300 - $1600 / £1000 - £1300).  I could potentially buy a few smaller units (of which I'm pretty much already decided on) for the setup I've wanted for a while.  Or I could take that I buy a belter of a synth, as I'm not likely to have this much money all in one go for a little while.

I want/need analog polyphony.  A keyboard would be useful but not necessary.  I mainly make noisey techno in the vein of Shifted and Abdulla Rashim, so I want dark chords/pad (thus the polyphony) as well as dirty ass low end.

What might be in that price range - either brand new or potentially second hand.  I know there's the DSI Mopho X4 and the Prophet 08 Module.  I know the Behringer DeepMind12 has been discussed in another thread too.  I'd lusted after an Elektron Rytm for ages, but I've gone off them a bit since everyone uses them these days.

Suggestions?

i cannot recommend a prophet 08 for noisey techno. its an interesting synth, but its capabilities lie in a different area i would say. its low end is a bit weak aswell. 

what about a pro 2 though? it has 4 voice paraphony, and sounds absolutely fucking wild. you can pick them up for about 1500 quid if you haggle. 

this thing will keep you entertained for years. i dont own one, but ive tried one, and its a world apart from the propeht 08/12 . so filthy. and you can still play pads even though its technically monophonic. the filters on it are amazing compared to the curtis filters. 

Edited by messiaen

Interesting, never heard this before.  Just from looking at a few youtube vids I can definitely hear what you mean, sounds like it has a lot of potential, especially when it comes to sound design-y type sounds.  Great recommendation, cheers.

Guest Chesney

Not many options when it comes to analogue poly and most are kinda not cutting it for the price. Or maybe expectations in hype is way too high.

I'd maybe go for a really wild digi like a microwave XT or XTK. A Q keyboard? V-Synth? and yeah a Pro2 maybe. Something a little different. The new analogue poly's don't really feel that alive to me and you would need to save up more for vintage. maybe get an AN1xif you are set on analogue sounds. That is a really amazing sounding synth to be honest.

And don't worry about other people using Elektron because 95% of users only use 10% of the machines for standard ideas. You can go so much further than that, and past.

Why not a blofeld for polyphony, or if you must have analog a pulse2? I think it would be very suitable for dark/noisey techno stuff and maybe add a dreadbox hades for bass duties? 

Maybe throw in a drumbrute or tr8 with some outboard distortion/effects and maybe a RNLA on the masterbuss for glue and perhaps even some grime.

Just some ideas.

I think a lot of the shifted sound is in external processing anyway so simple units can go a long way in terms of drums.

Edited by user

Why not a blofeld for polyphony, or if you must have analog a pulse2? I think it would be very suitable for dark/noisey techno stuff and maybe add a dreadbox hades for bass duties? 

Maybe throw in a drumbrute or tr8 with some outboard distortion/effects and maybe a RNLA on the masterbuss for glue and perhaps even some grime.

Just some ideas.

I think a lot of the shifted sound is in external processing anyway so simple units can go a long way in terms of drums.

I've got a Pulse 2, and I wouldn't ever recommend it for its polyphony. I personally like what it can do in polyphonic mode, but it's range of sounds in that mode is very weak. As a mono synth for techno, sure, maybe so.

Analog polyphonic for techno? Elektron Analog Four? Mopho x4 and Deepmind would probably be good choices as well but I've only heard those via Youtube and such. As for the Prophet 08 module, everything I've heard from the Prophet series could be great for techno.

Also the Rytm is great and yes everyone has one now but half the people who use them are idiots and the other half barely release music so I don't think the sound is ubiquitous, yet.

Just some ideas.

I've got a Pulse 2, and I wouldn't ever recommend it for its polyphony. I personally like what it can do in polyphonic mode, but it's range of sounds in that mode is very weak. As a mono synth for techno, sure, maybe so.

Analog polyphonic for techno? Elektron Analog Four? Mopho x4 and Deepmind would probably be good choices as well but I've only heard those via Youtube and such. As for the Prophet 08 module, everything I've heard from the Prophet series could be great for techno.

Also the Rytm is great and yes everyone has one now but half the people who use them are idiots and the other half barely release music so I don't think the sound is ubiquitous, yet.

The A4 was also a consideration but I'm not sure if I like how much menu-diving could be involved, albeit that's just from what YouTube videos I've seen, and to be fair I did like the results nonetheless.  Any owners/users here?  The actual functionality, especially with the sequencer is what makes me think it could be worth putting up with.

Elektron gear is perfect for techno, imo. You won't get lush 12-note chords out of the A4 (well, I guess you could if you tuned the oscillators for each voice) but I'd say it'd be able to go pretty deep. 

Menu diving on Elektrons isn't nearly as bad as some other synths; the multiple encoder/page based system is actually fairly intuitive. Sure, it's not knob per function, but it's pretty good regardless.

Guest Chesney

I can vouch that the A4 is glorious and not hard at all to program. It's straight forward and quick. You have 4 tracks each with 2 osc's with subs too so you can get get complex chords, pads because you can lock each note/step to whatever tuning you want. I love it for pads, you get chords that sound amazing that shouldn't work on paper.

An alternative would be the vermona perfourmer but it goes nowhere near as far at the A4 but sounds amazing.

The Vermona had also caught my eye, especially given the DRM mkIII provides all my drum sounds.

Thanks all, got a good idea about some possibilities now, time to hit the right shops and try this gear out.

Will report back!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

I finally have something to show for my GAS of late, lol.. my initial octatrack+nord lead jam. They play very nicely together! I need to get cracking with some scene stuff for this but I think it could actually turn into something decent.

https://soundcloud.com/0f-digital/ndst-initial

I had a great Monomachine jam this week and realized that it's fucking gold and I should be ashamed of myself for not using it.

Now I just want a volca sample.

lol I gotta get on to using the monomachine + nord (+ octatrack?) together. honestly though I'm loving the nord so much that it's almost making me want to sell all of my other synths, get a bunch of nords (lead 2x or 4, maybe wave, G2) and control them all from octatrack.. I'm not that crazy.. yet.

And yeah, the volca sample sounds wicked, love that aliased sound. Have you used vosyr? It's essentially a fully functional volca sample in an app, with the benefit of being able to transfer samples and sequences across to the volca..

lol I gotta get on to using the monomachine + nord (+ octatrack?) together. honestly though I'm loving the nord so much that it's almost making me want to sell all of my other synths, get a bunch of nords (lead 2x or 4, maybe wave, G2) and control them all from octatrack.. I'm not that crazy.. yet.

Haha, that sounds mental! Might be cool though... lots of real time control!

And yeah, the volca sample sounds wicked, love that aliased sound. Have you used vosyr? It's essentially a fully functional volca sample in an app, with the benefit of being able to transfer samples and sequences across to the volca..

Yes, yes, that aliased sound, that's what I'm talking about! Among a lot of other things about it.

Yeah, vosyr is surprisingly good! I didn't even have v-sample lust until I played with that a few months back. So flexible and sounds so good.

nord g2 + octatrack is all you would need for the rest of your life. The possibilities there are truly endless.

both machines can control & sequence each other via midi, process each others output, etc...

yeah, too bad about the essentially nonexistent support for osx though.. that said, I'm not totally against having a cheap dedicated windows laptop to program it.. hmmmmm

Guest Chesney

The only trouble about G2+Octa combo is the lack of diverse end timbre, I feel you'd get a little fatigued by the same output all the time and long for some processing, if that makes any sense at all?. The sound possibilities are endless and insane apart from that it will always sound like a G2+Octa track. if there is anything wrong with this, i'm not sure. Add an old warm mixer or maybe the analogue heat into the mix then i'd consider the combo myself (as long as I can have a CS30 too, and a... and .... and a .... etc)

Ha, no beef obv.

Yeah, I get that. Probably a bit ridiculous to think that I should just go total nord for all my synthesis heh.

Dilemma though: I'm tempted to get the expansion board, which is currently on ebay for ~$400AU incl. postage from japan.. but on the other hand someone local is selling a nord rack 2 for $600.. It'd fulfil my desire to get a second nord already, with the four outputs that the nl2 provides.. and leave the nl1 in 4-voice mode for that glitchy voice stealing I've been into recently :P

then again, it's not like I'm wanting to do super lush chordy stuff with the nord.. god damnit