IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

1 hour ago, modey said:

Definitely. I hate "pure experimental" gigs for this reason. For years I've wanted to get on the bill at one of those shows and just play a straight pop set or something. 

I feel like local/underground shows used to be way more eclectic, I've seen/played so many shows where there would be, for example, a psych band, a sort of EDM/synthpop, a pure noise act, some kind of weird leftfield hip hop act and a mathrock band, and people would just show up to see what was happening, but since social media really blew up things are always ~~cUrAt3d~~ and most of the audience show up for one act they already know and then leaves or smokes outside for everyone else. So you might get 50-100 people at a show but the audience will be around 20 and they'll just circulate through.  It's not always like that but that seems like the default now around here, where in the 2000s the default was "show up and see something new."

Not to be all "kids these days" but it it really feels like the people who are really in to stuff are staying home and making their own music and the people who go to shows are there for Instagram.  Which is cool in that there's more good music than ever these days (even though there's also more BAD music than ever), but when I go to shows lately it all feels kind of fake.

Or maybe it's just because I had undiagnosed low level hypothyroidism for the last 5-6 years.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, modey said:

Definitely. I hate "pure experimental" gigs for this reason. For years I've wanted to get on the bill at one of those shows and just play a straight pop set or something. 

I did this in Cafe Oto once ?  specifically remember a complaint during We like To Party. Bloody philistines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some years back I went to a day long noise festival in Tokyo that also had teenage idol bands and a couple of really nice experimental art/installation kind of things. Probably one of the best concerts I have been to.

Not sure about the overlap between idol group fans and noise fans though.

I too listened to a lot of Frank Zappa in high school. Back then I thought it would be funny to play Bobby Brown as graduation ceremony soundtrack.

Edited by thawkins

22 hours ago, kakapo said:

Book is now taken.

I have a little library going of books on electronic music.  The best introduction to modular is probably the Patch & Tweak book that was funded through kickstarter, but its quite expensive.  Equally useful for the beginner is a book by a guy called Peter Elsea on muffwiggler, who used to teach a class on modular synthesis.  It's just one of those print on demand spiral bound jobs, but the quality is fine.

http://peterelsea.com/Notes on Modular Synthesizers.html 

Ordered the Peter Elsea book, remember reading his thread on mw but somehow forgot that it made it to book form. 

Can vouch for the patch and tweak, recently shelled out the cash for it. When seeing it initially I thought it was some shitty coffee table book but it’s been very informative and very nicely laid out. Like the mix of interview it has as well. 

Found a free Yamaha dd11 today. It seems to be working as it should, has midi in and out and seems quite modable.

Between this, the d-110 and korg i5m I’m set for shitty 90s pcm drums. 
On first listen this seems to have the samples I like the most, even on the built in speakers they seem quite punchy and crunchy. 

CA11C194-F188-49BB-8CEA-3A6BB34486D8.jpeg.ee6df7ca5d521ed67109931b9e65680b.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice, I had one of the others in that range for a while (also free) and it was a lot of fun, but I ended up trading it for some pads and slowly piecing together a small early 90s electonic drum kit.

Cool! Are you still using it?

Feel quite lucky because last Friday I thought how nice it would be to have some pads to hit and considered making the trip to a friends place where there’s 2 pads that came with a sds200 I got a couple of years ago but couldn’t really find the time. 

2 hours ago, user said:

Cool! Are you still using it?

Feel quite lucky because last Friday I thought how nice it would be to have some pads to hit and considered making the trip to a friends place where there’s 2 pads that came with a sds200 I got a couple of years ago but couldn’t really find the time. 

Not as much as I should because I don't have the space to keep it set up, so I basically pull it out and set up as few pads as possible if I need to record some live-sounding drums.  Record the MIDI, put it away, fix the mistakes because I'm a pretty crap drummer. I was actually going to sell it to a friend before the Covid hit and he got laid off.

What is that synth?

10 hours ago, user said:

Found a free Yamaha dd11 today. It seems to be working as it should, has midi in and out and seems quite modable.

Between this, the d-110 and korg i5m I’m set for shitty 90s pcm drums. 
On first listen this seems to have the samples I like the most, even on the built in speakers they seem quite punchy and crunchy. 

CA11C194-F188-49BB-8CEA-3A6BB34486D8.jpeg.ee6df7ca5d521ed67109931b9e65680b.jpeg

Make sure it does not have an ant/cockroach/wasp/colundi/microtonal/chiptunes infestation, those things suck to get rid of once they spread to the rest of your studio.

• Like 2

Happy camper! Cut a deal on an excellent TX7 that includes the seller installing a battery holder. Fresh breath of air after lots of owners asking where these things have batteries... 

I discovered that the Vintage Synth expansion of the roland JV consoles has its own module, the M-VS1, it looks super cool but is unfortunately very rare. Not sure when a Kawai K1M will be available, but I guess I've got some toys in the meantime. Also got a taste for the Korg EX-800. Weird & exciting (albeit expensive) times for synth enthusiasts. 

51 minutes ago, chim said:

Happy camper! Cut a deal on an excellent TX7 that includes the seller installing a battery holder. Fresh breath of air after lots of owners asking where these things have batteries... 

I discovered that the Vintage Synth expansion of the roland JV consoles has its own module, the M-VS1, it looks super cool but is unfortunately very rare. Not sure when a Kawai K1M will be available, but I guess I've got some toys in the meantime. Also got a taste for the Korg EX-800. Weird & exciting (albeit expensive) times for synth enthusiasts. 

Get psyched for that K1M

I used to share a practice space with a guy who got an EX-800 in perfect shape for $5 at an antique mall while his band was on tour, and said he'd probably sel it to me for $20 but needed some time to think about it.  Then he never made up his mind, stacked a bunch of heavy gear on top ofit, and broke the display, volume knob and probably some buttons.

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

Bandmates get a rough talking to when they mess Creedence lyrics up. when they do that kind of stuff it's time for pain.

Edited by chim
  • Like 1

Ornament + Crime users:  there's a new branch of the Hemisphere suite called "Logarythm" that includes a TB303 style gate+pattern generator robot.  I had some fun last night messing with just the pattern portion>

Muffs thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=233572

Github: https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-HemisphereSuite/

Edited by Hautlle
fixed IG video link
  • Like 3

Got paid last Wednesday, designed and ordered a 1u output panel, PCBs and the parts I didn't have on hand to get the MBseq up to 4 each panel mounted DIN MIDI inputs and outputs.  Will add panel mounted USB and line driver for external CV output modules later on. Next step is to start working on a more permanent case.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Hautlle said:

Ornament + Crime users:  there's a new branch of the Hemisphere suite called "Logarythm" that includes a TB303 style gate+pattern generator robot.  I had some fun last night messing with just the pattern portion>

Muffs thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=233572

Github: https://github.com/Logarhythm1/O_C-HemisphereSuite/

Excellent! Wasn't using the cap midi app anyway so don't mind losing that to make space. The mods he made seem quite useful as well.

I have a Drumbrute which is fun but now really want a 808 / 909. Of course getting originals is kind of off the table due to $$$$. The TR-8 seems like a nice option but i can't tell when the TR-9 is actually arriving. Anyone know?

I think I can save a bit by going rack-mounted so I'm looking at Novation Drum, Station v2, which seem be $250-300 used. Anyone have an strong opinions on these? I have a couple specific questions and I'd like to message with an owner.

I'd really love a JoMoX AirBase 99, but can only seem to find one for sale in Japan, and it's a biiiittt toooo pricey with shipping. I don't know, is it worth it???

Edited by cooliofranco
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the tr8 has 909 sounds as well.

Another option is the Roland R8.  Go for a mk2 if you can find one, but if you're looking at rack mounts you can usually find an R8m for cheap.

• Like 1

Yeah the TR-8 has 808 and 909 sounds stock. And you can upgrade it to get 606/707/727 sounds. I love the TR-8 personally.

edit:  And I just couldn't click with the Drumbrute. Loved the individual outs, loved the sequencer (really loved the sequencer, actually), loved BD2 (BD1's not half-shabby either but BD2 has a nice 909 quality, imo). Hated the rest of the sounds. Toms/Congas require a ton of processing to get them sounding strong, and the snare just sounds like a rusty trombone version of a brostep snare.

Edited by Taupe Beats

59 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Yeah the TR-8 has 808 and 909 sounds stock. And you can upgrade it to get 606/707/727 sounds. I love the TR-8 personally.

edit:  And I just couldn't click with the Drumbrute. Loved the individual outs, loved the sequencer (really loved the sequencer, actually), loved BD2 (BD1's not half-shabby either but BD2 has a nice 909 quality, imo). Hated the rest of the sounds. Toms/Congas require a ton of processing to get them sounding strong, and the snare just sounds like a rusty trombone version of a brostep snare.

1 hour ago, kakapo said:

I'm pretty sure the tr8 has 909 sounds as well.

Another option is the Roland R8.  Go for a mk2 if you can find one, but if you're looking at rack mounts you can usually find an R8m for cheap.

oh shoot u guys are right TR-8 does have 909 sounds. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Never mind the stuff that was in the post before this edit, none of that's available any more at all.

But I'm really starting to have a powerful urge to build at least one of these:

22 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

Snare is pretty bad / unusable. I tend to treat it like a closed hi hat. BD is meh but I like the rest, the clap is pretty pretty pretty good