IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

5 hours ago, xox said:

No gasing for lyra 8 on watmm?!

@modey iirc you had one... is it any good?

It's awesome. Can sound super beautiful if tamed, or make crazy industrial rhythmic noise.

It's definitely a luxury instrument though, and I couldn't justify keeping it. I think I miss the effects the most, I might try to track down the eurorack module someday. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, modey said:

It's awesome. Can sound super beautiful if tamed, or make crazy industrial rhythmic noise.

It's definitely a luxury instrument though, and I couldn't justify keeping it. I think I miss the effects the most, I might try to track down the eurorack module someday. 

I’m a total control freak so i need something like it to bring back balance to the force! ... im also quite good when i let my spontaneity do the job, what i rarely do, so id like to give it a try with Lyra. I believe that my Octatrack (with sampling-resampling, rhythmic and metric sequencing) and Analog heat (with envelope follower, lfos and filters) will tame it just beautifully! OT and AH will make it to be more than it is so in that case I’ll be a bit less luxurious, i believe! (actually, im just desperately trying to justify a gas purchase) lol

also, @modey what color is your Lyra?

i can’t decide between the Atom Heart Mother Control Room Green: image.jpeg.b54dc5d83f926b246b6bb9fc0e730527.jpeg

The Pacifist (military green): image.jpeg.d55bacad5e98b088e456ff10cdbc5495.jpeg

and The Black Beast: image.jpeg

the white one is beautiful and i wanted white at first but it doesn’t sound white to my ears, white looks too dentist and polite ?

image.jpeg.270dcd6c381eb84a95712d9fc68d859b.jpeg

Somehow nuclear power plant green suits its character the best imo, black second... atm

image.thumb.jpeg.f134549c7dfd91892f869ebeaf021636.jpeg

the atomic green was also the color of the old bruel & kjaer test equipment:

image.thumb.jpeg.851f753a16eead280b759203640f55c2.jpeg

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

I’ve a M Audio axiom 61 that I’m no longer using and was wondering if anyone on here wants it, don’t want any money for it as long as you pay the shipping. Obviously you’re free to do with it what you want so if you know someone that could use a midi keyboard that’s fine as well. 
There’s one catch; the middle octave B key sends out a much higher velocity than the rest. I worked around this with ableton’s velocity device and some help from the WATMM massive, imagine most daws are able to offer a similar, simple, workaround. 

The keyboard weights 5.3 kg meaning the shipping would be €6,75 within NL and €19,50 to Belgium, France, UK, Spain and Germany. Not sure about other eu countries. Outside of eu it’s probably not worth the cost of shipping.  

If you want it send me a pm and it’s yours. 

The keyboard in question:

5A3422CF-49A7-4939-9BA0-FB40121245F2.jpeg.d6159b5d08c7d8219e1f5678ed860142.jpeg

Edited by user

12 hours ago, xox said:

I’m a total control freak so i need something like it to bring back balance to the force! ... im also quite good when i let my spontaneity do the job, what i rarely do, so id like to give it a try with Lyra. I believe that my Octatrack (with sampling-resampling, rhythmic and metric sequencing) and Analog heat (with envelope follower, lfos and filters) will tame it just beautifully! OT and AH will make it to be more than it is so in that case I’ll be a bit less luxurious, i believe! (actually, im just desperately trying to justify a gas purchase) lol

also, @modey what color is your Lyra?

Mine was the black one. It sounds weird but I probably would have kept it if it were the white one lol. I totally fell in love with the white one at Schneidersladen when I visited Europe a couple of years ago, but it may have been the setting (and the general positive vibe of that holiday) that influenced my feelings.

I did try taming it with the OT, but the fact is that it just sounded like any other synth once it got shaped by the OT's filters etc. It really is its own thing that sounds best just going direct into an amplifier.

The best recordings I made with it were from running other gear through it, like a 606 and Volca Drum.. which is why I'm considering the Lyra-8 FX module.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, modey said:

Mine was the black one. It sounds weird but I probably would have kept it if it were the white one lol. I totally fell in love with the white one at Schneidersladen when I visited Europe a couple of years ago

Nooo you’re making it worse! Lol ? 

was the white one that much better?

I know that this seems totally trivial but the visual aspect influences my musical  decisions probably more than it should

also, here’s an example of using it with a  machinedrum as a sampler/sequencer. I can imagine how much an OT would be better for this!

Edited by xox

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

That nuclear facility green is the best color choice for anything.

Isn’t it?! ?? ?

i wonder what’s the story behind that color... why it’s been used in nuclear power plants and on some pro testing equipment (?) maybe bc it looks stimulating and relaxing at the same time? ?

Edited by xox

I went on a bit of a tear last winter trying to figure out the closest Pantone match I could to it (not the color in this thread exactly, it's the one you see in nuclear missile silos and control centers which has more blue to it), pretty sure I posted something about it in this thread a bunch of pages ago but I don't remember what I decided on.  Only real way to do it would be to take an old, 60s or 70s Pantone chip book on a missile silo tour and compare in person, and then find the modern equivalent of your best match.

Which, if you were actually developing a commercial synth or modules, would be totally worth it IMO.

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

I went on a bit of a tear last winter trying to figure out the closest Pantone match I could to it (not the color in this thread exactly, it's the one you see in nuclear missile silos and control centers which has more blue to it), pretty sure I posted something about it in this thread a bunch of pages ago but I don't remember what I decided on.  Only real way to do it would be to take an old, 60s or 70s Pantone chip book on a missile silo tour and compare in person, and then find the modern equivalent of your best match.

Which, if you were actually developing a commercial synth or modules, would be totally worth it IMO.

Do you have the number/code of that color? Or do you have a picture as an example, a power plant maybe? The color inside this power plant in hungry seems like more blue-ish turquoiseimage.jpeg.e4fce9bcbd1db79302d5194831d1bb2b.jpeg

this other green, the military green Lyra, the number of that color is RAL 6013. I don’t know which exactly color is this atomic green on Lyra, probably verde menta

https://medium.com/infraculture/control-rooms-of-seafoam-green-628c71cb3a7c

Edited by xox

This is the post:

The first missile control center is a US one and it has a sort of almost teal color that I like a lot.  Pretty close to that power plant.  The second picture is a UK one and it uses the same color as the "pacifist" Lyra 8, which is also a good color.

This one has some of the blue-green I have in mind visible in the back, to the left of the door:

image.jpg

And this one is like a greatest-hits of hospital green, light blue, less light blue, olive green, white, biege... just looks at this shit!

DSCN2158.jpg

This NASA launch control room is exactly what I had in mind:

launch_control_room_PANO1.jpg

I think I might have deleted the text file I wrote my best-guess Pantone numbers in, though. If I find it I'll post them.

Anyway, looking at them now all of these are closer to the Lyra 8 color than I was remembering, the differences could just be lighting and film stock.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

Also I didn't notice the DIY Lyra 8 was a thing.

I really like the idea of it but it's on the expensive side for me, especially these days.  But a DIY version sounds just right.  Probably wouldn't be any cheaper in the end (depending on the front panel it might end up being more expensive), but I could do it a bit at a time so it's a lot more tempting, I might have to put off buying the parts I was going to get next paycheck to finish a couple small things I've been working on and put that money toward a Lyra 8 PCB set to work on this fall.

Damn it, thread.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xox said:

was the white one that much better?

I know that this seems totally trivial but the visual aspect influences my musical  decisions probably more than it should

No, I totally understand. Aesthetics and UI design is why I've held on to certain gear—it does have an influence on the kind of music I make. 

It's weird to say, but the white one had a certain ethereal/heavenly quality added to it by the white colouring that contrasted the industrial feel of the knobs and switches. Plus I think it was more of a glossy coat than the black one I ended up with, which was quite close to the textured matte black finish of early Octatrack mk1 builds. So it fit nicely with my OT, but drove me towards making more dark sounds, rather than the transcendental stuff I was making at Schneidersladen. Haha what a bunch of wank. 

• Like 1

Vlad's got a real talent, I thought the Lyra might have been a one off and that the pulsar23 would just be some mad slavic noise machine suitable only for awful 90s russian industrial bands but I've heard some good stuff from it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kakapo said:

Vlad's got a real talent, I thought the Lyra might have been a one off and that the pulsar23 would just be some mad slavic noise machine suitable only for awful 90s russian industrial bands but I've heard some good stuff from it.

Pulsar23 is my ultimate GAS lust

12 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

This is the post:

The first missile control center is a US one and it has a sort of almost teal color that I like a lot.  Pretty close to that power plant.  The second picture is a UK one and it uses the same color as the "pacifist" Lyra 8, which is also a good color.

This one has some of the blue-green I have in mind visible in the back, to the left of the door:

image.jpg

And this one is like a greatest-hits of hospital green, light blue, less light blue, olive green, white, biege... just looks at this shit!

DSCN2158.jpg

This NASA launch control room is exactly what I had in mind:

launch_control_room_PANO1.jpg

I think I might have deleted the text file I wrote my best-guess Pantone numbers in, though. If I find it I'll post them.

Anyway, looking at them now all of these are closer to the Lyra 8 color than I was remembering, the differences could just be lighting and film stock.

Aaaa diz is just gorgeous!!! I could live there! nerd style lol ?

I totally agree that manufacturers of music gear should use these colors more often 

12 hours ago, modey said:

No, I totally understand. Aesthetics and UI design is why I've held on to certain gear—it does have an influence on the kind of music I make. 

It's weird to say, but the white one had a certain ethereal/heavenly quality added to it by the white colouring that contrasted the industrial feel of the knobs and switches. Plus I think it was more of a glossy coat than the black one I ended up with, which was quite close to the textured matte black finish of early Octatrack mk1 builds. So it fit nicely with my OT, but drove me towards making more dark sounds, rather than the transcendental stuff I was making at Schneidersladen. Haha what a bunch of wank. 

that ethereal/heavenly quality is exactly how i feel it and it’s its advantage and disadvantage over the black (and other colors). Speaking of disadvantage, i was afraid that it would stop me going full retard in noise, telling me “no, no... you can’t do that anymore! You’re in heaven now!” ? 

the positive side is it would probably stop me going into total noise with delusional thinking that what ever I do on it must me brilliant. 
that’s why the atomic green was like a compromise, “weird shit is happening here but behave yourself, you’re in a nuclear facility” lol

It’s a drone/noise machine after all, isn’t it? But I always liked the look of white 4ms noise boxes! 

image.jpeg.a35d8a59363f76fa1769ae019001c348.jpeg

neeed

to

to

thinkaboutit ?

zero world problems lol

Edited by xox