the watmm GAS thread

Vlad's got a real talent, I thought the Lyra might have been a one off and that the pulsar23 would just be some mad slavic noise machine suitable only for awful 90s russian industrial bands but I've heard some good stuff from it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been offered that gorgeous, glorious piece of recording history : a Nagra 4.2. It belonged to my father in law (very cool dude, former filmaker who’s always been fascinated by sound), he gave it

Won a Polyend Tracker in a contest today.  Very excited!

Finally snatched one of these bad boys!   

Posted Images

11 hours ago, kakapo said:

Vlad's got a real talent, I thought the Lyra might have been a one off and that the pulsar23 would just be some mad slavic noise machine suitable only for awful 90s russian industrial bands but I've heard some good stuff from it.

Pulsar23 is my ultimate GAS lust

12 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

This is the post:

The first missile control center is a US one and it has a sort of almost teal color that I like a lot.  Pretty close to that power plant.  The second picture is a UK one and it uses the same color as the "pacifist" Lyra 8, which is also a good color.

This one has some of the blue-green I have in mind visible in the back, to the left of the door:

image.jpg

And this one is like a greatest-hits of hospital green, light blue, less light blue, olive green, white, biege... just looks at this shit!

DSCN2158.jpg

This NASA launch control room is exactly what I had in mind:

launch_control_room_PANO1.jpg

I think I might have deleted the text file I wrote my best-guess Pantone numbers in, though. If I find it I'll post them.

Anyway, looking at them now all of these are closer to the Lyra 8 color than I was remembering, the differences could just be lighting and film stock.

Aaaa diz is just gorgeous!!! I could live there! nerd style lol 🤓

I totally agree that manufacturers of music gear should use these colors more often 

12 hours ago, modey said:

No, I totally understand. Aesthetics and UI design is why I've held on to certain gear—it does have an influence on the kind of music I make. 

It's weird to say, but the white one had a certain ethereal/heavenly quality added to it by the white colouring that contrasted the industrial feel of the knobs and switches. Plus I think it was more of a glossy coat than the black one I ended up with, which was quite close to the textured matte black finish of early Octatrack mk1 builds. So it fit nicely with my OT, but drove me towards making more dark sounds, rather than the transcendental stuff I was making at Schneidersladen. Haha what a bunch of wank. 

that ethereal/heavenly quality is exactly how i feel it and it’s its advantage and disadvantage over the black (and other colors). Speaking of disadvantage, i was afraid that it would stop me going full retard in noise, telling me “no, no... you can’t do that anymore! You’re in heaven now!” 😂 

the positive side is it would probably stop me going into total noise with delusional thinking that what ever I do on it must me brilliant. 
that’s why the atomic green was like a compromise, “weird shit is happening here but behave yourself, you’re in a nuclear facility” lol

It’s a drone/noise machine after all, isn’t it? But I always liked the look of white 4ms noise boxes! 

image.jpeg.a35d8a59363f76fa1769ae019001c348.jpeg

neeed

to

to

thinkaboutit 🙂

zero world problems lol

Edited by xox

Denying the way something looks plays at least some role in wether or not you see yourself using it and creating things with it that align with your sense of what’s important/danceable/has an emotional impact doesn’t make much sense to me. Any music regardless of the personal bond you may forge with it is initially all about aesthetics, I think. For me it’s mostly the possible consumerist/collector associations that make me want to deny this influence on the instruments I choose while in reality my choices are entirely based on availability, attainability, looks and perceived possibilities.  

tldr: I want a nuclear green lyra-8 

Edited by user
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, user said:

in reality my choices are entirely based on availability, attainability, looks and perceived possibilities.

Yeah this has been my struggle recently. I sold a bunch of gear so I could get in on the preorder for Trash80's M8 device, then ended up getting cravings for a Bass VI again, so sold more gear. Couldn't find a Bass VI in stock and got impatient, so my mind wandered and all of a sudden I impulse bought a Chase Bliss MOOD and SH01A instead lol, because they came up for decent prices locally (plus I've wanted an acidy box for a while and that's the closest I'm willing to go without committing to something that only does acid). 

I only barely have enough to scrape in on M8 preorder, but strangely I think I made the right decision re: the MOOD/SH01A. Lately I've been really getting into making music with a single synth voice and an effects chain, and I think that combo would be nice. 

Aaaa FOK it! I've ordered the nuclear Lyra-8 directly from Soma! 

I already feel guilty 😞 ... now i'll need to make it worth it! 

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=10128470

but hey! life is short!

glorify-god-in-your-body-cyxxgj1a.thumb.jpg.b692ebfc841552c1d215762f01254f5c.jpg

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

This thread is responsible for me sending an email about getting TWO Lyra 8 DIY sets (one for me and another for my neighbor).  I'd already earmarked about the same amount of tomorrow's paycheck for a Nanokontrol 2 and HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro so I could set up Auto_Waaaaves and get audio reactive video synthesis into my nascent livestream rig, but that can wait a few more weeks - those things are a lot more readily available than a Lyra 8 PCB set. Waiting to hear back.

Edited by TubularCorporation
1 hour ago, sheatheman said:

Just got a pretty big paycheck for 2 days work. Tempted to dump it on something. Don't know what though...

😉

1 hour ago, sheatheman said:

Just got a pretty big paycheck for 2 days work. Tempted to dump it on something. Don't know what though...

Big paycheck for just 2 days of work?! I want yo job!

7 hours ago, xox said:

Aaaa FOK it! I've ordered the nuclear Lyra-8 directly from Soma! 

I already feel guilty 😞 ... now i'll need to make it worth it! 

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=10128470

but hey! life is short!

glorify-god-in-your-body-cyxxgj1a.thumb.jpg.b692ebfc841552c1d215762f01254f5c.jpg

And how is it?  Ive been eyeing it as well

49 minutes ago, Bluetech said:

And how is it?  Ive been eyeing it as well

Will let you know once I receive it 😉

Was going to recommendthe Roland EF303 but they've gotten stupidly expensive since I picked mine up 5 years ago.

EDIT: this was supposed to be in the "cheap reverb" thread.

Edited by TubularCorporation

iiwy shea, I'd be buying a Subharmonicon. The new dreadbox synth (Typhon) looks fun too. Adds up to about $1200. 

my GAS is telling me I need a model:cycles. I've never used any elektron gear and cycles seems like a pretty good (read: cheap) place to start. @modey I assume you're the guy to ask...recommend or no? 

37 minutes ago, luke viia said:

my GAS is telling me I need a model:cycles. I've never used any elektron gear and cycles seems like a pretty good (read: cheap) place to start. @modey I assume you're the guy to ask...recommend or no? 

My local jam buddy is not an Elektron guy but he picked up a Cycles and really likes it. It sounds huge and they did a good job fine-tuning the parameters for sweet spots.

I've got one and made some stuff i'm happy with. It is an immediate machine and super fun to play with; but lacks the sound design potential of the digitone significantly. If you want to create massive and cool kick sounds without too much fuss its a great option