the watmm GAS thread

1 hour ago, luke viia said:

iiwy shea, I'd be buying a Subharmonicon. The new dreadbox synth (Typhon) looks fun too. Adds up to about $1200. 

my GAS is telling me I need a model:cycles. I've never used any elektron gear and cycles seems like a pretty good (read: cheap) place to start. @modey I assume you're the guy to ask...recommend or no? 

Definitely get a cycles. Its amazing. You can easily make so many different sounds.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been offered that gorgeous, glorious piece of recording history : a Nagra 4.2. It belonged to my father in law (very cool dude, former filmaker who’s always been fascinated by sound), he gave it

Won a Polyend Tracker in a contest today.  Very excited!

Finally snatched one of these bad boys!   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

my GAS is telling me I need a model:cycles. I've never used any elektron gear and cycles seems like a pretty good (read: cheap) place to start. @modey I assume you're the guy to ask...recommend or no? 

Of course I recommend it 😄

It's a good entry into Elektron gear for sure. It's more limited than the other Elektrons but you'll be surprised at how weird you can get with it, especially when you start misusing the machines.

12 hours ago, sheatheman said:

What can I get for $1200?

It’s hard to answer when we don’t know what you already have, need, like...

well... I’d first look into Elektron:

1. Octatrack mk2

2. Monomachine 

3. Digitone or Digitone Keys

4. Model:Samples + Model:Cycles

5. Analog Heat mk2

non-Elektron stuff:

1. Squarp Pyramid if you need a good sequencer

2. Akai MPC One could be fun and powerful (the only akai id buy atm)

3. Soma Lyra 8 + Vermona Retroverb Lancet = analog drones droned in a spring reverb and shaped with beautiful filters

4. For the money you can buy several new Behringer analog synths, which are pretty good (if analog matters to you at all)

5. you can spend all the money on cool pedals/efx - i could name a few if ud wanted

6. MegaFm synth

7. Novation Peak (costs a bit more but you can find it on a discount)

8. HydraSynth

But, before anything else, i would invest in good monitoring headphones, at least for 600 dollars (my recommendation is Neumann NDH20)... or in building a powerful desktop PC ($300-500 just for a cpu). but that’s me

im not seeing much interesting stuff coming out tbh, at least not interesting to me, or there is but not it that price range. So my recommendations are probably pretty boring sorry.

if you can find just few hundred dollars more id advise you to buy Kodamo Essence FM, imo best fm synth atm

Edited by xox
12 hours ago, sheatheman said:

What’s the best of all the new stuff that’s come out in the past few years? Like the generation that zoia and deluge are in. 

The Hydrasynth and Korg Wavestate both look tasty to me, but I have a poly/pad gap in my setup. It really depends what you're looking for.

17 hours ago, sheatheman said:

What’s the best of all the new stuff that’s come out in the past few years? Like the generation that zoia and deluge are in. 

I'm gas'd out after just buying a super 6, but on my keep an eye on list is 

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

Just released so not many demos, but seems interesting and a bit more useful than some of the other boutique loopers.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, kakapo said:

I'm gas'd out after just buying a super 6, but on my keep an eye on list is 

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

Just released so not many demos, but seems interesting and a bit more useful than some of the other boutique loopers.

How do you like the super 6 so far ?

3 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

How do you like the super 6 so far ?

Arriving over the weekend, I'll post some first impressions then.  It was between that, and diying a kijimi (ideally with 2240 filters) or a vs1 oberheim obx clone.  I may still go back to them as my big diy project next year.  I like gear that has 'good vibes', and udo george is at the other end of the spectrum from say black corporation and the feeling that in some way you're getting ripped off.  Also, the uk is completely fucked and as much as I dont want it to be the case, buying British is almost becoming a moral obligation.

• Like 3

I’m suddenly wanting the polyend tracker. I haven’t used renoise very much since my office job in 2016, but made probably some of my best stuff ever in renoise.

looks identical to me, though the MAIN thing I love about renoise besides the sampler is the fx. Cabinet sim, great delays and verbs, amazing chorus. Does the tracker have any fx (not step fx)

@sheatheman have you been keeping track of M8?

https://dirtywave.com/

It's got more effects than the Polyend, and has its own synth engines as well (including a port of Braids). Plus, it's LSDJ based so can get really wacky with timing and micro-step stuff, as well as uneven lengths for each pattern in a track etc.

The only possible downside is that the handheld format isn't for everyone. But it has a lot of useful shortcuts to help where the lack of buttons may otherwise hinder it.

I'm in on the preorder list for one of the 80 "earlybird" units which are being made by hand before the production models, which will likely be produced later this year. Of course I'll be making videos and posting them here 🙂 

The Polyend looks like it'd be better for going back to basics / old style tracking, where a lot of the heavy lifting is done by the quality of the samples/sequencing rather than effects. The M8 has more potential to exploit effects and synthesis. The sound demos have been amazing so far. I mean, listen to the fkn thing:

I'm irrationally excited.

• Like 1

Ordered a i9 9900k + Noctua CPU cooler as my Tidal * Live sessions are slaying my  current i7 6700k. EP is finished and CPU could handle the workload, but as I’m working on multi-tunes sessions I need the update 😕

Planning to keep the i7 and to build a super compact ´puter to run Audiogridder and to use on stage with my RBS lappy.

ps: the M8 video sounds impressive, can’t wait to hear what you’ll do with it @modey

• Like 4

I need to build a new computer sometime in the next 2-3 years.  Not that the old one doesn't do everything I need it to do, but I want to upgrade BEFORE the old one fails, and also it's huge and loud.

post-19174-0-12221700-1528413287_thumb.jpg

41 minutes ago, Nil said:

Ordered a i9 9900k + Noctua CPU cooler as my Tidal * Live sessions are slaying my  current i7 6700k. EP is finished and CPU could handle the workload, but as I’m working on multi-tunes sessions I need the update 😕

That’s a proper beast machine!

when can expect the ep to come out?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Nil said:

my Tidal * Live sessions are slaying my  current i7 6700k

What's the deal with that? I've been making a sequencer in p5js and even the simplest code makes my imac's fan sound like it's about to take off!

• Haha 1

It's the 100% real-time synthesis bit that's hungry for CPU hehe. Tidal isn't demanding at all. As everything is sequenced and generated live (at 24/96), it's actually a lot to process. Live can't anticipate / pre-render anything, hence the CPU madness. Sounds absurd, right ?

EP is 100% finished, I mastered it a couple of weeks ago. Finished the artwork too. Label has validated it. Now I'm waiting for a release date. I'm super pleased with the result, and 1st few feedbacks have been beyond amazing so far. Can't wait to share it with you guys.

I'm working on a short liveset for the upcoming New Moon Tidal Marathon, and keep on hitting huge obstacles to organise my set into something my current machine(s) can handle. I'll certainly have to record it to MIDI in lower Q with less processing to eventuallt export it in full quality.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2
On 8/8/2020 at 10:40 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I went on a bit of a tear last winter trying to figure out the closest Pantone match I could to it (not the color in this thread exactly, it's the one you see in nuclear missile silos and control centers which has more blue to it), pretty sure I posted something about it in this thread a bunch of pages ago but I don't remember what I decided on.  Only real way to do it would be to take an old, 60s or 70s Pantone chip book on a missile silo tour and compare in person, and then find the modern equivalent of your best match.

Which, if you were actually developing a commercial synth or modules, would be totally worth it IMO.

s459418657728573200_p104_i3_w640.jpeg

https://www.tangiblewaves.com/store/p104/AE_modular_STARTER_RACK_2.html

Just got one of these today after hearing the internet hype for a while and it delivers, especially for $13-$18 depending on which AliExpress seller you get it from.  Really good fuzz. Has its own personality, probably loosely based on a Big Muff but doesn't have the tone stack, and sounds a lot different, more gated.  Some similarity to the Devi Ever Vintage Fuzz Master (one of the topologies in the multi-Devi Ever-fuzz pedal I made a little while ago) but even higher gain.  A lot of low end available without sounding muddy, too - it'll probably sound great on synth.

CUVAVE-FUZZ-Vintage-Fuzz-Guitar-Effect-P

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Wow ... that looks really cool! Cheap, too. Wonder how durable those mini pin jacks are though ...

No idea; saw it today for the first time. Also, not sure why it’s so cheap!

The price makes sense.  All the pots are inexpensive trimmers, there are only a few jacks, and the case is laser cut acrylic, so they really eliminated most of the expensive parts.  Simple analog circuits with mostly surface mount parts are pretty inexpensive even in relatively limited quantities.

• Thanks 2
On 8/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, kakapo said:

Arriving over the weekend, I'll post some first impressions then.  It was between that, and diying a kijimi (ideally with 2240 filters) or a vs1 oberheim obx clone.  I may still go back to them as my big diy project next year.  I like gear that has 'good vibes', and udo george is at the other end of the spectrum from say black corporation and the feeling that in some way you're getting ripped off.  Also, the uk is completely fucked and as much as I dont want it to be the case, buying British is almost becoming a moral obligation.

Man Im tempted by the that VS-1.  I have an avalon and love it, although mine has the scratchy pot issue and reading all the other issues people have theirs makes me super nervous about investing $2k in a DIY synth that may not have proper support.  I'm not a total noob, and have built about 20 euro modules successfully, but not sure if that project might be more than I can handle.

But Damn....  the VS-1 sounds good.

crOwBX is a lot less than $2k to make if you want a DIY OBX clone, although it's very bare bones and you'd have to wait until the next run (they're usually available for a couple months once a year, and I'm not too confident they'll be available this year).

Edited by TubularCorporation