Jump to content

the watmm GAS thread


modey
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2020 at 4:01 AM, TubularCorporation said:

I like trackers a lot but using a tracker without a QWERTY keyboard seems weird to me.  I never even really got that in to LSDJ and pretty much lost track of it after about a year of using it pretty regularly.

Yeah I'm mostly of the same thought. M8's mechanical keys make it super quick for me though. Also there are enough shortcuts to make it about as quick as using a tracker with a keyboard and mouse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would be cool would be a mini tracker like we've been seeing, with USB hosting for a QWERTY keyboard for building your sequences and a simple LSDJ-like performance mode with a few buttons/CV controls. I don't know if any of them do that but they should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Retroplug may end up being like that at some point. Not a standalone device, but a way to use up to 4 instances of LSDJ in a DAW with keyboard shortcuts etc. I think there's talk about making a M8 version as well.. early days though. I'm imagining a desktop version of M8 that can make song files that can be transferred to the device.

Ultimately though, if you want a QWERTY keyboard in a tracker, just use a laptop with Renoise imo. If it's too small, a QWERTY keyboard is basically pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone used Renoise Redux at all?

I like the idea of using a tracker plugin inside of Reaper (rather than fucking with ReWire etc), but I don't see a ton of discussion about Redux one way or another, even on the Renoise forum or its own support documentation.

For the record, I don't really have much experience with Renoise itself, just downloaded a trial version years ago.  Kind of liked it but I had my hands full figuring Reaper out at the time.  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, baph said:

Has anyone used Renoise Redux at all?

I like the idea of using a tracker plugin inside of Reaper (rather than fucking with ReWire etc), but I don't see a ton of discussion about Redux one way or another, even on the Renoise forum or its own support documentation.

For the record, I don't really have much experience with Renoise itself, just downloaded a trial version years ago.  Kind of liked it but I had my hands full figuring Reaper out at the time.  

Yeah, I've been using it recently, mostly as a sample player in Reaper, finally, after buying it years ago. I haven't used the phrases much, but it's really nice to at least have Renoise instruments alongside the stuff I'm doing in Reaper. When I get back to making prog stuff I'll probably start using the phrases more for my leads and other things that benefit from the tracker workflow.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, modey said:

Retroplug may end up being like that at some point. Not a standalone device, but a way to use up to 4 instances of LSDJ in a DAW with keyboard shortcuts etc. I think there's talk about making a M8 version as well.. early days though. I'm imagining a desktop version of M8 that can make song files that can be transferred to the device.

Ultimately though, if you want a QWERTY keyboard in a tracker, just use a laptop with Renoise imo. If it's too small, a QWERTY keyboard is basically pointless.

Yeah, I was just thinking it would be cool to be able to hook up a QWERTY keyboard to a hardware based tracker for programming but get rid of the keyboard for performing. I guess Sunvox on a Raspberry Pi with some kind of GPIO

 

never mind finishing that, I just Googled and it's already been figured out and looks pretty great.

 

https://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3733

Edited by TubularCorporation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Any Analog Rytm users in here ? Tempted to buy one since I looking for a good drum machine for quite some time, feedbacks would be appreciated !

it's the best drum machine out there right now. i've heard some iffy stuff about QC issues with the mkII but the first ones aren't perfect either (had to have my screen replaced after about 3 years of use)

what do you want to know, specific questions, general questions? what sort of sound are you going for? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want a "Swiss army knife" drum machine (I know some people like to collect them but I don't got room or money for that) I'll always regret selling my MD in 2014/2015, Obviously I'll don't get all the digital engines of the MD with this one but I would like to have your advice on this point, this can go way beyond TR style emulation right ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm not a collector at all (well maybe close to it with synths but not drum machines) so i'm with you on that same approach. MD is nice from the little i've touched it, and obv heard plenty of good out of it...it had some features that the Rytm doesn't of course, and Rytm being an analog sets it apart from the digital counterparts (MD, Roland TR-8, Digitakt, etc.) in plenty of ways. imo the strongest and most obvious way is how deep you can get with the synthesis of the sounds on the Rytm. probably very similar to the depth you could get with an MD, just obviously in the analog realm vs the digital (and certainly not suggesting one is better than the other, for the record!).

honestly the Rytm isn't outstanding at TR-style sounds, other than a few key ones...and if someone wanted that, the TR-8(s) is the obvious choice for that. but you're wanting to move beyond those styles of sounds and the Rytm is probably the easiest/cheapest way to do so, excepting perhaps the Digitakt (but with Digitakt it's 100% sample manipulation of course). can get a really wide range of sounds out of most of the engines on the Rytm (if you're not familiar with how the synth engines work do a little research or just ask for a quick explanation, i'll be glad to), and the sample playback capabilities do help to expand your overall palette with the machine...but i should mention here the sample playback is meh (at least on the mk I, the mk II might be better, not sure there). and honestly with the expanded pseudo-monosynth capabilities of some of the engines along with the simple sample playback, you've got a groovebox. i've written a few tracks on just the Rytm, and regularly use it for non-'drum' sounds. 

analog engines for drums are very strong imo, but they mesh with the sound i'm going for overall. they're versatile obv, so it's not like you're locked into a specific style unless you want to be. 

you're obviously familiar with the Elektron style approach so if you're wanting a drum machine and wanting to do that sorta thing the Rytm is the obvious choice. if you're gonna sequence from elsewhere though, it may not be the top pick. that gets into workflow questions tho...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, auxien said:

i'm not a collector at all (well maybe close to it with synths but not drum machines) so i'm with you on that same approach. MD is nice from the little i've touched it, and obv heard plenty of good out of it...it had some features that the Rytm doesn't of course, and Rytm being an analog sets it apart from the digital counterparts (MD, Roland TR-8, Digitakt, etc.) in plenty of ways. imo the strongest and most obvious way is how deep you can get with the synthesis of the sounds on the Rytm. probably very similar to the depth you could get with an MD, just obviously in the analog realm vs the digital (and certainly not suggesting one is better than the other, for the record!).

honestly the Rytm isn't outstanding at TR-style sounds, other than a few key ones...and if someone wanted that, the TR-8(s) is the obvious choice for that. but you're wanting to move beyond those styles of sounds and the Rytm is probably the easiest/cheapest way to do so, excepting perhaps the Digitakt (but with Digitakt it's 100% sample manipulation of course). can get a really wide range of sounds out of most of the engines on the Rytm (if you're not familiar with how the synth engines work do a little research or just ask for a quick explanation, i'll be glad to), and the sample playback capabilities do help to expand your overall palette with the machine...but i should mention here the sample playback is meh (at least on the mk I, the mk II might be better, not sure there). and honestly with the expanded pseudo-monosynth capabilities of some of the engines along with the simple sample playback, you've got a groovebox. i've written a few tracks on just the Rytm, and regularly use it for non-'drum' sounds. 

analog engines for drums are very strong imo, but they mesh with the sound i'm going for overall. they're versatile obv, so it's not like you're locked into a specific style unless you want to be. 

you're obviously familiar with the Elektron style approach so if you're wanting a drum machine and wanting to do that sorta thing the Rytm is the obvious choice. if you're gonna sequence from elsewhere though, it may not be the top pick. that gets into workflow questions tho...

 

Yeah nothing wrong with collectors, Just looking for a deep drum machine really ! Thanks for the info, will have to think about it because obviously this baby isn't cheap but it's very tempting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Kindohm uses the RYTM this way.

 

yeah, he does some cool shit with it, he was posting a lot of fun stuff over the last year or so on his insta i think it was.

5 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Yeah nothing wrong with collectors, Just looking for a deep drum machine really ! Thanks for the info, will have to think about it because obviously this baby isn't cheap but it's very tempting.

don't watch too many videos on it if you're not ready to buy it just yet 🙂

feel free to tag me or PM me if you have some specific questions or something. there's other Rytm users here too i'm quite sure.

Edited by auxien
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any Analog Rytm users in here ? Tempted to buy one since I looking for a good drum machine for quite some time, feedbacks would be appreciated !
The rytm is the kit I've really spent the most time with out of all my hardware.

It's kind of quirky and has a lot that could be better (the pads suck on the Mk1, the stock sounds are flat as hell and the sample management is really bizarre), but overall you can be really creative with it - whenever I'm stuck in a rut just firing it up and messing around with it usually gives good results.

Tried lots of different workflows and currently using it with lots of 808 / 909 samples along with the dual VCO settings.

If you haven't used elektron stuff before be prepared for a month or so of WTF frustration but once you start finding your own sweet spots it's a great bit of kit.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

@d-a-m-o

Go a second hand RYTM Mk1. Diverse kit and yeah; best drum machine on the market i'd say. You can get very creative with it once you get your head around the elektron sequencer/workflow. My advice with any elektron gear is to spend a bit of time using them solo; without any other kind of instrumentation to really get inside and test what it can do. Other option would be to get a little model cycles but after you shit on it so much earlier in the year this might be not to your liking. The model cycles has great sounding kicks and percussive sounds; many people seem to struggle to get a decent sounding snare though.

In other news; i'm waiting for my Torso Electronics TS-1... getting impatient

 

Yeah TBH I was seriously disappointed  when they released the model cycle, I’m sure it’s a very capable machine but I was really hoping for a new flagship digital drum machine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if a company is working on a FPGA based drum machine, pretty sure this is something we'll see in the near future. Also I know this is the gear acquisition syndrome thread but do you use drum synthesis plugins ? Still need to fully explore DrumSpillage...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.