the watmm GAS thread

modey

5 hours ago, Nil said:

Sold it (as well as the SH-01A and SE-02) to pay my taxes (you know, 2020...). I’ve patched amazing drums with Hive 2 though, they’re all over my upcoming EP, so I don’t miss the Boutiques that much.
I f’ing love the 808, but it gave a slightly nostalgic je ne sais quoi to my tunes that didn’t fit.

Anyway, from the x0x (or should I say « Mid 0 ») series godfathers https://rc-808.com/

Seriously deep and capable drum synth plugin... and free. Some amazing reading on their website too.

Hot diggety! Heard about this on sonic state but no Mac version at that time. See the OS X version got released on the first of this month. I’m continuously amazed by generosity of engineers and general smarty pants around the world, it’s humbling to think about the amount of time and dedication that goes into things people create and discover and then they decide others should be able to benefit from their labour while I bumble my way through life and struggle to grasp basic concepts. 

Edited by user
  • Like 2

I built a new desktop this time last October and have enjoyed a year of extremely powerful computing.  

I have never had a rig this fast before, and nothing I can throw at it can slow it down.  I am working on a track at the moment with 20 Serums with a fuck load of processing plugs on each track, several Kontakts with giant orchestral packs loaded, etc., and am still able to have chrome open on another monitor with a hilarious amount of tabs, Excel, Outlook, Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc., all running and honestly it doesn't even raise an eyebrow.  Incredible.

Since building this, I have spend a fair amount on software as I am just so fucking productive on this new beast.  Bought Ableton, FabFilter bundle, Serum, Reaper, etc.

Currently I am not really lusting over any gear as I bought it all, but wanted to show and tell. 

So there you go. 

Edited by LemanRuss

On 10/2/2020 at 4:08 AM, modey said:

Yeah I'm honestly surprised Elektron haven't made a polyphonic sample playback machine. It seems to be a bit of a gap in the market, with only the OP-1 / OP-Z* and maybe the MPCs supporting it? Maybe the MC-707 as well..

Really it could be a Digitakt firmware update to make it more like the Digitone in terms of voice allocation..

* - OP-Z's utterly abysmal sample storage space makes it almost not count.

Doesn't the 1010 Blackbox allow Polyphony of 3 notes? 

The new unofficial firmware of the dirt cheap Volca Sample can, albeit it looks like you have to adjust some settings.

And the Maschine does that, but I guess that doesn't count 🙂

• Like 2

Messed around with a Subharmonicon last night. It was a lot of fun but it's also a mess of a synthesizer which I can't see myself ever using to make a track. I would record noises with it, and that's it. I did manage to make a classic techno bass pattern by plugging a patch cable into the VCO1 and then touch the other end with my thumb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Squee said:

Messed around with a Subharmonicon last night. It was a lot of fun but it's also a mess of a synthesizer which I can't see myself ever using to make a track. I would record noises with it, and that's it. I did manage to make a classic techno bass pattern by plugging a patch cable into the VCO1 and then touch the other end with my thumb.

sell it to me for cheap then. 🙂

On 9/24/2020 at 10:45 PM, yekker said:

Is it tricky to program?

I've been spending some time with the TX7 now and the architecture is pretty simple. There's no mod matrix, cross-modulation or other wacky shit like that, just one global LFO for pitch or volume and the operator settings. It gets messy with all 6 operators active because each one has a complex ADSR to pilot. It's got one control for the volume of each envelope step and one for the rate at which they get there, so bog-standard subtractive sounding stuff is kinda awkward to pull off. Luckily you can copy-paste envelopes in the software editor, must be lightspeed compared to a DX7 interface. The synthesis capabilities are pretty wild and it's a great sounding kit, lots of woolly low end.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:01 AM, TubularCorporation said:

I like trackers a lot but using a tracker without a QWERTY keyboard seems weird to me.  I never even really got that in to LSDJ and pretty much lost track of it after about a year of using it pretty regularly.

Yeah I'm mostly of the same thought. M8's mechanical keys make it super quick for me though. Also there are enough shortcuts to make it about as quick as using a tracker with a keyboard and mouse. 

What would be cool would be a mini tracker like we've been seeing, with USB hosting for a QWERTY keyboard for building your sequences and a simple LSDJ-like performance mode with a few buttons/CV controls. I don't know if any of them do that but they should.

Retroplug may end up being like that at some point. Not a standalone device, but a way to use up to 4 instances of LSDJ in a DAW with keyboard shortcuts etc. I think there's talk about making a M8 version as well.. early days though. I'm imagining a desktop version of M8 that can make song files that can be transferred to the device.

Ultimately though, if you want a QWERTY keyboard in a tracker, just use a laptop with Renoise imo. If it's too small, a QWERTY keyboard is basically pointless.

Has anyone used Renoise Redux at all?

I like the idea of using a tracker plugin inside of Reaper (rather than fucking with ReWire etc), but I don't see a ton of discussion about Redux one way or another, even on the Renoise forum or its own support documentation.

For the record, I don't really have much experience with Renoise itself, just downloaded a trial version years ago.  Kind of liked it but I had my hands full figuring Reaper out at the time.  

54 minutes ago, baph said:

Has anyone used Renoise Redux at all?

I like the idea of using a tracker plugin inside of Reaper (rather than fucking with ReWire etc), but I don't see a ton of discussion about Redux one way or another, even on the Renoise forum or its own support documentation.

For the record, I don't really have much experience with Renoise itself, just downloaded a trial version years ago.  Kind of liked it but I had my hands full figuring Reaper out at the time.  

Yeah, I've been using it recently, mostly as a sample player in Reaper, finally, after buying it years ago. I haven't used the phrases much, but it's really nice to at least have Renoise instruments alongside the stuff I'm doing in Reaper. When I get back to making prog stuff I'll probably start using the phrases more for my leads and other things that benefit from the tracker workflow.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modey said:

Retroplug may end up being like that at some point. Not a standalone device, but a way to use up to 4 instances of LSDJ in a DAW with keyboard shortcuts etc. I think there's talk about making a M8 version as well.. early days though. I'm imagining a desktop version of M8 that can make song files that can be transferred to the device.

Ultimately though, if you want a QWERTY keyboard in a tracker, just use a laptop with Renoise imo. If it's too small, a QWERTY keyboard is basically pointless.

Yeah, I was just thinking it would be cool to be able to hook up a QWERTY keyboard to a hardware based tracker for programming but get rid of the keyboard for performing. I guess Sunvox on a Raspberry Pi with some kind of GPIO

never mind finishing that, I just Googled and it's already been figured out and looks pretty great.

https://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3733

Edited by TubularCorporation