IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

No faderfox is 100% my style. Wanted one for a long time. I just have 3 kids and can’t spend $400 on a midi controller.

when you say not freely configurable, are you telling me you can’t hit command+m and do fast mapping which is saved to the set? Because that’s the only way I’ve ever used knob controllers.

i have a circuit but I use it as a groovebox and sequencer. I mentioned it because it’s my benchmark of novation quality, and you can get a launch control xl for 25%-50% the price of a faderfox ec4.

i guess I don’t see what sets them apart other than nice design/form factor, build quality, and encoder resolution. The functionality itself is the same. Please correct me if I’m wrong. If I’m making mappings as I need them for ableton, is there any reason to get a faderfox over the launch control?

That's strange and annoying. Is this a known issue with the midifighters? If not I'd at least consider contacting their costumer/techsupport.

I'm sorry to say that out of the midi controllers I've used (mostly cheap(ish) ones though) the faderfox fx3 is the only one that has always been beside me because it doesn't skip values or glitch and the pots feel super nice and solid. Also, it looks cool.

That's strange and annoying. Is this a known issue with the midifighters? If not I'd at least consider contacting their costumer/techsupport.

I'm sorry to say that out of the midi controllers I've used (mostly cheap(ish) ones though) the faderfox fx3 is the only one that has always been beside me because it doesn't skip values or glitch and the pots feel super nice and solid. Also, it looks cool.

10 hours ago, user said:

the faderfox fx3 is the only one that has always been beside me because it doesn't skip values or glitch and the pots feel super nice and solid.

This has been my experience as well, although I've only had my UC4 since January. 

The encoders were weird at first - there's some friction that's barely audible. Once I got used to it, though, I liked it, as it makes the inertia feel more natural. 

Edited by sweepstakes

On 11/27/2020 at 11:36 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I remember hearing lots of good stuff about the knob one and lots of bad stuff about the fader one, apparently you can't cut corners on motorized faders as successfully as you can on encoders.  The only reason I never got a knob one myself is the size.

The BCR2000 (the one with knobs, no faders) are great because of being endless and having led-rings. Quality-wise of course it's still Behringer. Bonus with those is you can turn it into a very dope sequencer if they lost their purpose as controllers - https://zaqaudio.com/ .

Increasing rental prices all over the world and lack of space therefore? ?  Must admit I also don't see the need to make it even tinier than their previous model. But well, it has advantages and disadvantages to have small gear.

If I had the money and the PCB layouts were available (there are schematics and BOMs but no layouts that I've ever found) I'd love to build an NGF Vocoder, which is about as space-inefficient as you can get and really appeals to my sense of maximalism.

Current_state_500px.JPG

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

So jealous! I'm just about to remortgage, was thinking of adding a couple of grand to the already hideous loan and getting myself one 

I wouldn’t suggest stretching yourself that much for one but it kind of got under my skin the very first time I saw Vlad demo it and said I’m fucking having one of them!!!

However, it is a lot of money for what it is - usually when expensive gear is available, people suggest how many ‘budget’ synths they can buy instead, which isn’t always a good comparison. With the Pulsar though, you could buy a RYTM and say a 0-coast for similar money and that should make people think. 

I still ended up with the Pulsar though and I’m extremely happy with it.  It’s like when I get some creative plug-in and I start thinking about effects chains when I’m away from the studio, this thing does the same - I sit there thinking about routings and patches and then try them out when I get chance. For me it’s something that really sparks creativity but in a quite  focused way.

I really cannot recommend the debt thing though as there is a reason that the word Mort is the present in the word Mortgage...... I also think that once all the waiting list has cleared and they are available in shops, a few more will end up 2nd hand as people realise it’s not for them and at that stage the price will be cheaper than new machines. At the moment people are cashing in a little with the waiting list.

just MHO

• Like 1

Finally received my TR-06 preorder yesterday. Such a fun drum machine, takes the vibe of the 606 and really extends it with some very useful features. I just sat and zoned out with it and the TB-03 for a couple of hours today, so good. Might add the SH-01A tomorrow for some electro vibes ?

I think my experience with it (and the other boutiques) has been made even better by people shitting on the Roland Boutique range by calling them "VST in a box". 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, modey said:

Finally received my TR-06 preorder yesterday. Such a fun drum machine, takes the vibe of the 606 and really extends it with some very useful features. I just sat and zoned out with it and the TB-03 for a couple of hours today, so good. Might add the SH-01A tomorrow for some electro vibes ?

I think my experience with it (and the other boutiques) has been made even better by people shitting on the Roland Boutique range by calling them "VST in a box". 

Gear people are just horrible, there are way worse offenders on the market than Roland's WYSIWYG products with solid build quality. The Ju-06 is partly a Juno 60 and had high expectations since Nils Frahm and other hipster trailblazers have inflated the value of the somewhat mediocre original into the stratosphere, and the boutique didn't seem to nail it so it caused a lot of the flak. I'm on the lookout for a D-05. 

That seems more like a mock up of what some people have been asking for for years, i.e. standalone sequencer and mixer, rather than something legit.  It's also in mk2 grey after they've just released the black versions.  Where's the leak from?   

On 11/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, user said:

Yeah I assume it’s some weird outsourced Chinese slave tech that dj tech tools slapped their brand on. On paper it’s the perfect controller: endless encoders, freely assignable full color led rings, a few banks. In reality it’s just very difficult to make work sometimes.

Any users of the ELZ_1 around? The price of it dropped to 411,-€ which sounds like a steal for a truly original synth.  Midi implementation is quite poor, but seems like they're working on it.

Edited by e-mertz

Anyone got Sequential Pro 3? I'm looking for some quality mono (my most "expensive" synth is Korg Monologue, lol) and I originally decided for Subsequent 37. I've had it ordered and been waiting for a month (not in stock in my country) until yesterday when I accidentally stumbled upon Pro 3. I immediately canceled my order because this machine looks perfect to me. Now I'm researching Pro 3 online and falling in love with it.