IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I stopped using 24/96 a few years ago, and use 24/48 now.  People are still arguing wildly about whether rates above 48kHz are better or don't matter or are actually worse, but for me it came down to being able to hear the difference and almost always thinking 48kHz sounded subjectively better than 96kHz on my setup and it saves a lot of drive space.

• Like 1

Really considering getting a smaller Presonus rack unit after I had a huge crash right in the middle of that livestreamed jam session and having read a bunch of posts from two posters with suspiciously similar avatars.

Hope they don't work for Presonus or anything.

It's not the same thing, but that Liven 8Bit Warps I picked up is the most fun synth I've played in years and probably the most fun groovebox type thing I've played ever, so I vote you get one of those and do weird acid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

should I get a beheringer 303? I wanna make some acid, is it fun? Kinda want to try it.

Yes, you should. It’s totally worth it. I had an analogue solutions clone for years, and I can tell you that the td3 beats it for sure. Also, it’s so cheap. I recently sold my analogue solutions clone because I bought some 303 clone modules that ended up making the old one useless to me. However, once I saw how cheap the td3 was (at the time $150) I figured it was worth it. So now I have two clones, one overpriced and integrated into my eurorack, and the other a fun cheap little box. I was not let down at all. You definitely can make some acid- I would say the distortion is kinda shitty, and the snappy attack is a little too harsh for a 303, but the “non 303” stuff only really comes thru when you cover the full spectrum of what it can do. If you keep it minimal it’s pretty convincing. I would also say that it’s pretty cool you get a class compliant usb midi interface, and an awesome cv sequencer. The sequencer is really fun, and you can’t get a eurorack sequencer like it for anywhere close to that price. Definitely get it if your even considering it at all.

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Himelstein said:

I’m pretty much sold on getting one of these. Mainly for the analog string/pad factor. Check out the video about 8:20 in.

Yup, this one and a BBD chorus and phaser would totally set you up for those analord pads and 70's space funk. The behringer Solina is still on the horizon as well. 

I saw this and was pretty floored... 

• Like 3

I'm just waiting for FPAA tech to get to the point where you can just load a component-accurate, analog synth onto an IC like firmware and swap it for a totally different synth at will.  It's not too far off. I mean, it's already here and has been here for a long time but they're still pretty niche and basic. What I'm looking forward to is something ZRNA's longer term goal, which is an Axoloti-based hybrid digital/FPAA analog platform, but with the option of a good hardware UI that doesn't need to be developed by the end user.  So essentially something in the Nord Modular paradigm except modern and with analog operators available alongside the digital ones.

That's when we'll be at the best-of-both-worlds point between hardware/software and analog/digital.

• Like 4

I don't know much about the FPAA stuff but does it let you build things like BBDs or old digital EEPROMs clocked by modulate-able oscillators? Because that early digital sound is chunky and I tend to GAS for those kinds of sounds more than analog mojo alone.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Preordered. Really looking forward to playing with its FM engine and Braids port. And to writing music away from the computer.
Not being a trackerhead myself (even if I’ve enjoyed using Renoise every now and then), I bet I’ll come with different ideas too.

• Like 1

Tax returns are all in and a friend of mine is coming today to pick up my old electronic drum kit.  He wants a couple days to make sure it all works before he actually buys it but that will put me over the threshold to getting the Studiolive 32r, if he pays me soon enough I should be able to get it before next weekend.

Haver you guys seen that : https://modo.sc/id700/ ?

https://cdm.link/2021/04/id700-for-ipad-reboots-the-1987-buchla-700-fm-waveshaping-and-polyphony-hands-on/

I've been given an early Ipad Mini, if I can run ID700 on it then it'll be a great *studio B* set-up along with the M8.

Hopefully it'll get ported to VST too.

Just ordered one of these. The 2612 version with red knobs. I have way too much fm stuff, but I’ve always wanted to exploit the original genesis chip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himelstein said:

Just ordered one of these

Interesting idea, and maybe more convenient, but it's probably cheaper to get genMDM + GENajam + an actual Megadrive/Genesis.. Still, keen to see how you go with it.

• Like 1

I’ll probably get one of these too, for my actual genesis. The main reason that I didn’t was just because I’ve collected so many chiptune things that require the actual unit- and that’s awesome, I love that, but this one was easier. They just take up so much space. Also- I was a Nintendo kid, so it was much more important for me to have the midines and nanoloop. I also would have preferred the sidstation to the mssiah for the same reasons, but at the time (15 years ago) they were too expensive- still are. Basically the sega and c64 weren’t as sentimental for me. Still cool that it uses the actual chip (like the sidstation).

4 hours ago, Himelstein said:

I’ll probably get one of these too, for my actual genesis. The main reason that I didn’t was just because I’ve collected so many chiptune things that require the actual unit- and that’s awesome, I love that, but this one was easier. They just take up so much space. Also- I was a Nintendo kid, so it was much more important for me to have the midines and nanoloop. I also would have preferred the sidstation to the mssiah for the same reasons, but at the time (15 years ago) they were too expensive- still are. Basically the sega and c64 weren’t as sentimental for me. Still cool that it uses the actual chip (like the sidstation).

Which MidiNES version do you have?  I traded a fuzz pedal for one years ago but it's one of the earliest versions (1.0.2 or something), from before they even had a proper label, and unfortunately it doesn't have the wavetable scanning that's probably the must unique feature of the final version, plus it has the bug where some of the onboard samples were trimmed wrong and play a millisecond or two late.  I know it's a huge ask, but if you had the last version AND had the confidence and equipment to desolder the EEPROM and rip a .bin of it...

OTOH I never actually tried to contact the original developer, maybe if I can track him down he'd send me one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Himelstein said:

this one was easier. They just take up so much space.

Valid. There's something good about an all-in-one unit. Please post some videos when you get it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Which MidiNES version do you have?  I traded a fuzz pedal for one years ago but it's one of the earliest versions (1.0.2 or something), from before they even had a proper label, and unfortunately it doesn't have the wavetable scanning that's probably the must unique feature of the final version, plus it has the bug where some of the onboard samples were trimmed wrong and play a millisecond or two late.  I know it's a huge ask, but if you had the last version AND had the confidence and equipment to desolder the EEPROM and rip a .bin of it...

OTOH I never actually tried to contact the original developer, maybe if I can track him down he'd send me one.

Mine is also very old, I think from 2004, it’s either the first version or the second. The samples are definitely off, but I like using the noise for drum sounds anyways. The newer versions look sweet. Mine also has some random pops sometimes, but could be my nes. It’s still the one I had from when I was little- I’m too sentimental to use anything else tho, haha

1 hour ago, modey said:

Valid. There's something good about an all-in-one unit. Please post some videos when you get it!

I definitely will!

The final firmware for the MidiNES sounds like it was really good but they're so hard to come by (and expensive now) in any version that the odds of finding someone who could make an image of it to upgrade an earlier version is pretty low.