the watmm GAS thread

modey

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using one of these for a while now and the chorus is basically a CE-2 (or maybe a CE-3, opinions seem divided) but with a second output so you can do wet/dry pseudo-stereo. I really like it, second favorite chorus pedal I've owned after the original, old, blue DOD chorus that I don't sue as often because the actual effect sounds wonderful but the old DOD bypass buffers sound awful.

Reviews > Effects > Boss BE-5 : DIY Fever - Building my ...

I bet that Waza Craft one sounds fantastic. Can you do the vibrato trick with the stereo outs (use it as a mono pedal but plug a dummy cable into output 2 so it takes the dry signal out of output 1 so you get vibrato instead of chorus)?

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:
I bet that Waza Craft one sounds fantastic. Can you do the vibrato trick with the stereo outs (use it as a mono pedal but plug a dummy cable into output 2 so it takes the dry signal out of output 1 so you get vibrato instead of chorus)?

Yes you can!! It's ridiculous how full it sounds on synth material. Finally snatched it on the second-hand market for a good price, I was on the fence for ages as I already own a Small Clone and imagined it would be an end boss. As good as that one is for a light & liquid BBD touch, it's honestly no competition, the CE-2W hits it out of the park for those full-on chorus beds. If I had known how good this sounded I'd have bought one right away. 

1 minute ago, yekker said:

My friend wants to start music and he told me he's thinking about the mc-101. Thoughts? Opinions on anything better in that price range?

Very hard to say whether it beats software, would advise your friend to spend more time with VST's until he knows for himself.

I haven't used one but there's a lot of competition in that price range.

For $500USD he could get a used MPC500 and have enough left over for a Volca Keys or something. Not necessarily a better choice but something to consider.

And going used means if he doesn't like it he can probably sell it at cost.

Few potentially usable and interesting boxes that I’m kind of thinking about atm...

Synths:

- Soma Pulsar 23

- Moog Matriarch

- Erica Synths Syntrx

- Elektron Digitone

Efx:

- Vermona Retroverb Lancet 

- Eventide H9

- WMD Geiger Counter

...I’m just bored i guess! I need nothing; pure GAS :facepalm:

• Like 1

If I was starting over from the beginning, I'd rather have the MC-101 (or the TR-6s) than a whole bunch of other shit I churned through early on: TR-606, DJX, TR-626, MC-50mkII, RY-30. The only thing I still have and occasionally use from those days is the TX81Z. Hell, I am tempted to replace my volcas with a TR-6s. Seems like a pretty nice, if limited, little beat box.

21 hours ago, yekker said:

My friend wants to start music and he told me he's thinking about the mc-101. Thoughts? Opinions on anything better in that price range?

What does he want to make? 

22 hours ago, xox said:

Few potentially usable and interesting boxes that I’m kind of thinking about atm...

Efx:

- Vermona Retroverb Lancet 

That thing is lovely. It's extremely versatile. Gain stage and the spring reverb are a bit noisy (to be expected with a spring reverb) but it's not hard to find sweet spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yekker said:

Edm Lol.

lol

I feel like people wanting to make that super tight EDM stuff are gonna have a bad time with hardware in general. It seems very much suited to DAW production.

36 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

That thing is lovely. It's extremely versatile. Gain stage and the spring reverb are a bit noisy (to be expected with a spring reverb) but it's not hard to find sweet spots.

Totally agree! Beautiful box! I know bc i had it once briefly, 5-6 yrs ago but i sold it to buy a MDuw when Elektron announced the funeral and the last batch and i was short with the money. But I remembered the sweetness of that box! Even though I also have Analog Heat I could use its immediacy for live tweaks with Lyra 8. Fun and lovely sounding box!

It's not flashy but my annual big gear purchase for the end of 2020 was a JHS Colourbox 2 and hooo boy was it worth it.  I'm mainly using it as a guitar/bass DI for the Octatrack right now, but it sounds amazing on monosynths and I'm looking forward to using it as a preamp next time I have a chance to sit down and do some serious sampling. I might even use it as a mic pre eventually.

jhs-color-box-v2@1400x1050.jpg

the tl;dr version is that it's two stages of Neve-like preamp in series with a stepped gain control between them so you can go from clean mic pre to overdriving the transistors so far that they go into a sort of spitty, square wave thing that sounds like what you'd expect from Death By Audio or something. Plus a three bands of semiparametric EQ and undersized input and output transformers that are easier to saturate than what you would find in a more accurate Neve clone.  It sounds great but it's also possible to make it sound really, really bad (an not in a particularly nice way) which is a positive in my book since it means they've basically given you access to the full range of "this isn't really doing anything" to "I think it's broken" instead of limiting you to the stuff that's actually useful.

If money weren't an object I'd buy at least two more so I could dedicate one to DI and use the other two as a stereo pair of all-purpose preamps/dirtboxes.  Although if money was no object I'd probably actually not do that and get one of those little SSL SiX mixers. Although if money was no object I'd probably actually not do that either and would buy a large house and make an offer for the Dark Side of the Moon console, because if I'm just making up shit anyway why limit myself?

Anyway, the Colourbox sounds great and even though I felt pretty apprehensive about spending that much on something that doesn't really do a whole lot, I'm glad I did.

EDIT: Shit, while I'm at it I'd get a fully loaded Arp 2500, too. And a hovercraft.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, modey said:

lol

I feel like people wanting to make that super tight EDM stuff are gonna have a bad time with hardware in general. It seems very much suited to DAW production.

I told him to just learn ableton. He wanted a box that does everything. He'll figure it out.