Jump to content

the watmm GAS thread


modey
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, xox said:

What exactly? Looks?

Yes. The layout, the gross light-up pads, and the color touch screen like a smart phone. And look and feel matters when it comes to gear. If you truly don't care about look and feel and you fancy yourself a very practical goal-oriented music-maker, then in general software + cheap MIDI controllers are the tools for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Yes. The layout, the gross light-up pads, and the color touch screen like a smart phone. And look and feel matters when it comes to gear. If you truly don't care about look and feel and you fancy yourself a very practical goal-oriented music-maker, then in general software + cheap MIDI controllers are the tools for you.

Yeah except don't buy cheap AKAI MIDI controllers either - well at least not bottom dollar stuff that you want to use for something more than sending pitch and CC data.

For anything that needs to handle timecode, arpeggiator, velocity sensitivity you need something better than the cheapo products.

 

Edited by thawkins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why are you even bothering with linear timecode stuff outside of a DAW? The classic way to do it was ride a bunch of mixer faders. You're not going to get much more precision than that outside of a programmable DAW. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chim said:

Why are you even bothering with linear timecode stuff outside of a DAW? The classic way to do it was ride a bunch of mixer faders. You're not going to get much more precision than that outside of a programmable DAW. 

I mean for example syncing the internal arpeggiator of the AKAI MPK Mini to the DAW. I don't know if timecode is the best term for this but it has to do with realtime MIDI data and the sync with the MPK was really unstable for some reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Linear timecode is potentially a lot tighter than MIDI clock, so there are still some uses for it.  I used to use SMPTE to sync my MPC to the DAW and then use it as the master clock for everything else, and when I was running Windows 7 the difference was HUGE (MIDI clock was essentially useless for me under Windows 7).  Since the new audio interface finally forced me to update to Windows 10, though, I haven't had trouble.  Same MIDI interface, same drivers, same computer, but the clock jitter has gone from being as high as +/- 8ms under Windows 7 to small enough that the clock analysis firmware in the MIDIpal I wasn't using can't even detect it. So I guess for me at least, the whole "MIDI over USB has horrible timing" thing is solved for now.  I'm back to using clock straight from the MIDI interface if (first time I've been able to do that since Windows XP) I need to keep stuff that isn't the Octatrack running in sync with the DAW (I've never gotten the Octatrack to work reliably with ANY external clock source no matter how stable, so I don't even try anymore - if I'm using it I just send it transport messages and let it run on its own clock, which is rock solid).

 

Edited by TubularCorporation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah there is a point with gear where it just seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to integrate all of it unless it's your job. I love gear but I'm also a bit sloppy with it (and only use 1 or 2 things at a time), so that it remains fun. YMMV I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Yeah there is a point with gear where it just seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to integrate all of it unless it's your job. I love gear but I'm also a bit sloppy with it (and only use 1 or 2 things at a time), so that it remains fun. YMMV I guess.

That's the issue, cause we only have two arms. Trying to produce your own shit live with gear is tricky, besides the mixer, 1 synth, 1 drum machine and a sampler could do the job, maybe enhaced with some daw.

Imagine being dr. octopus full surrounded by machines..

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my 15 year old GAS for a Monome Grid has just been reignited but their recent price drop and my having found a job again..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

preordered a behri 909.. hopefully it's not gonna get postponed. shipment date is around the 15th of july according to my local retailer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time getting rid of old gear , eg. Old mixer with spring reverb. It's got such a sweet sound, but it's huge, clunky dusty and broke af. And its mono

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't get rid of it, you'll regret it later.  I learned that lesson hard.

Right now the only thing I want is a cabinet for the tube amp I finished building last weekend.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, TubularCorporation said:

Don't get rid of it, you'll regret it later.  I learned that lesson hard.

Right now the only thing I want is a cabinet for the tube amp I finished building last weekend.

 

Some stuff will do you good to get rid of though, workflow-wise... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chim said:

Some stuff will do you good to get rid of though, workflow-wise... 

Look, just because I don't make music with my grand piano it does not mean it is cramping my workflow. For example, yes I don't have space for a bed but have you considered that you can stick a mattress under the piano and sleep like a baby? And it's a perfectly good table too.

  • Big Brain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thawkins said:

Look, just because I don't make music with my grand piano it does not mean it is cramping my workflow. For example, yes I don't have space for a bed but have you considered that you can stick a mattress under the piano and sleep like a baby? And it's a perfectly good table too.

I used to play inn a band with a guy who shared a warehouse space with a couple friends (back in the 2000s when that was actually a cheap way to live instead of an overpriced condo).  The walls of his room were made out of big, old PA speakers, and his bed was a sheet of plywood laid on top of the first tier of speakers, with another sheet across the next tier (about 4 feet above the bed) for instrument storage.  So he was basically sleeping in a small hole. But three people were splitting about 2500 square feet for $700 a month total so there was plenty of space for everyone, he just liked sleeping that way.

 

That spot in that neighborhood would be at least $3k a month now, but I doubt you could rent anything there anymore at all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By someguy
      New digital single available on Kompakt.
    • By Xyloglotte
      Mylar Melodies (he of excellent Youtube instructional/gas videos concerning all things eurorack- http://www.mylarmelodies.com/) has started producing a podcast including interviews with producers and manufacturers.
       
      If they are anything like his videos beware: I have shelled out over a thousand pounds on this guy's say so (but not regretted a penny of it so far). Very cool guy who knows what he's talking about:
       
      https://itunes.apple.com/nl/podcast/why-we-bleep/id1338201154?l=en&mt=2
    • By cear
      May 2014 - Bleep - BLEEP10

      01. Gas - Die Wand
      02. Lone - Lizard King
      03. Machinedrum - aeolia
      04. Oneohtrix Point Never - Need
      05. Modeselektor - I’m not into Twerk, I’m into KrafTwerk
      06. Untold - That Horn Track
      07. Fuck Buttons - Brainfreeze (Alt mix)
      08. Dabrye - Click Clack
      09. Autechre - SYptixed
      10. Shackleton - Ganda Rising
      11. Nosaj Thing - Particles Aligned
      12. µ-Ziq - Hedges
      13. Byetone - Morning
      14. Nathan Fake - Vanish North

      https://bleep.com/release/50183-various-artists-bleep10

      http://bleep10.com/


    • By KGW
      You might want to be quick on this one... limited to 300 records.
       
      http://www.kompakt.fm/releases/cupids_head_the_gas_remixes
       

×
×
  • Create New...