IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

9 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

My GAS is at its lowest point for 5 years and that's OK.

same here, I only want more cables and if possible more channels of conversion so I can use what I have as easily as possible, and start selling stuff I don't use.

Downsizing might b an exaggeration for me, but I'm going to sell of most of the Eurorack modules I built during lockdown because I almost never use Eurorack and I have a friend who's getting in to it and will appreciate getting some bargains.

5 minutes ago, chronical said:

Friend of mine told me hey man come over for Christmas I have an old synth sitting in my basement you can have it.. Roland JX-3P acquired :w00t:

Not bad.  LAst time something like that happened to me it ended up being a rusty DX27 with a semi-working keyboard and scratchy faders.  I ended up giving it to a friend who could spare the space to use it as a sound module with an external controller.

2 hours ago, auxien said:

just because Elektron haven't released their new shit. just wait. :trollface:

Lol Elektron is not relevant since many years..

They even fired that autistic sales guy.. What was his name? Chin or Jink or something 

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

52 minutes ago, cern said:

Lol Elektron is not relevant since many years..

They even fired that autistic sales guy.. What was his name? Chin or Jink or something 

i sold my MDuw and Mnm but just bc i sold them for alota money and it was the right time to sell them while still totally mint but i'd buya Mnm if they'd ever release it again, which will never happen of course

i still have an Octatrack mk2 but rarely use it ... was thinking about getting a Digitone but i doubt i will ... nothing else elektron interests me tbh ; i wish it does but it doesn't ?

On 12/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, auxien said:

had not heard anything good out of the M (and honestly the price is a huge turn off so i’d mostly ignored it) but this video, they’re getting lots of really interesting sounds out of it.

part 2 of this is also full of some very good sounds

My GAS thoughts lately, now that I have a stable income again:

- What if I sold my Monomachine and bought a Syntrx?

- I want a Monome Grid but maybe should settle on a Launchpad Mini Mk3 for messing around with custom sequencers in Max/Norns

- I saw a $700AUD TR-09 on ebay which would be a bit redundant because I have the TR-06, but omg the toms and cuteness

- It'd be fun to have a Kaoss Pad again

- It'd also be fun to have a Lyra-8 again.. this time the white version, the black one was a mistake

- Maybe I should get one of the next production run of M8s instead of any of the above, so I can keep my beta version at home / make 2x M8 tracks

Money is a curse.

2 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

That synth would be GAS triggering if it cost 1/3 as much 

yeah this. I'm avoiding even watching videos because I know I'll want one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modey said:

- I want a Monome Grid but maybe should settle on a Launchpad Mini Mk3 for messing around with custom sequencers in Max/Norns

Super tempted by everything from Monome to the point I’m avoiding watching vids or staying on their page for too long, GAS is too strong…

OK ok I actually need a 20" ride cymbal for a long time now, got my eyes set on a Paiste Giant Beat multifunctional, but I thought I would not bother with trying to get one during the insane consumerism rush of December, also that series is quite pricey so now I am wondering if there is some alternative that sounds similar, but honestly trying to audition cymbals online is a losing battle and it really is just better to get one but but wait maybe the 24" giant beat that I used to have actually DID NOT fit my setup and I should work a little to find a cymbal that is the one true grail that will magically "tie my sound together" even though right now the cymbals is all I have, and every time we hit a rental studio, the drum kit sounds different anyway and it always takes half an hour or so to find the best way to play to make use of the sound of the day which is quite cool if you come to think of it and eventually I might also need a good snare and a Tama Iron Cobra pedal and a DW cocktail kit and finally a huge cargo bike to transport all that junk across time and space to the studio de jour and set up the recorderman mic set up and yeah maybe then I would have like 2 weeks of peace before I realise that wait I do not have enough hard drive storage for all those crappy jams that show promise, so then it is time to head off to the computer shop to get a massive storage server with like 10 terabytes of disks in RAID or something and I could spend like 3 months minimum full time tinkering and configuring how that thing works and by then I assume the first drive has already failed and needs replacement, but after I do THAT, yeah after replacing the faulty drive I could have 2 more weeks of feeling content until I remember that DUH we do not have a bass player and guitar and drums feels kind of tinny on its own so now I definitely need to get that Subzero Rogue VI baritone guitar and force the guitarist to learn both the Art Of The Looper and Art Of The Sick Bass Riffs and probably get more mics to get the guitar on tape too, but GOD DAMNIT I FORGOT: we also need a portable multichannel recording thing (a cheapo Behringer taped to my old laptop?) and more cables (definitely more cables - I am not poaching cables from my home setup every time I need to head out), and by this point astute readers might have figured out that the cargo bike now needs at the very least some nice rugged custom travel cases for all the crap I am bringing with me each time and well maybe it is also time to admit defeat and start renting a dedicated studio space, oh boy this will take months to find a lease and a good place and talk some other people into it to be able to split the rent and soundproof it and then have some passive aggressive stuff going on with regard to beer bottles or some other kind of weird spills and definitely some other stuff too but after maybe 6 months we should have a working routine in place and then I can probably relax for another 2 weeks until we discover some wacky smelling mold in the place.

On the other hand, maybe I don't need to get that ride cymbal yet.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

8 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Super tempted by everything from Monome to the point I’m avoiding watching vids or staying on their page for too long, GAS is too strong…

I like a lot of the stuff people are making with Norns, but a lot/most of it is designed to work with a monome grid and I'm not that into grids as a UI so that helps (also the complete unavailability of that one codec helps; I do have a Norns PCB set but I'm not going to even think about building it until the supply chain is a little less of a mess; I'm still waiting for the second half of my Lyra 8 parts from last Aprill last update the backorder on some of the ICs was September 2022 again, it had been bumped up to May 2022 for a few weeks).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thawkins said:

Tama Iron Cobra pedal

I'm a pretty bad drummer and don't even own a kit anymore but I'll never, never get rid of the Jacques Capelle kick pedal that a friend found in a relative's basement in high school and let me take when he quit drumming.

I don't know what the odds are of finding one at any kind of decent price but you're probably in just aout the only part of the world where there's a halfway decent chance one might be lying around in a closet someplace so if you do see one, grab it. They're pretty nice.

https://reverb.com/item/48212982-jacques-capelle-twin-spring-bass-drum-pedal-1970-s-rare-collectors-pedal-ultra-clean

EDIT: part of the reason I'm a bad drummer is after high school I never had a place I could practice, but another real factor is that the dual spring on the Jaques Cappelle made it so easy to play that I never really developed any kind of ankle strength and playing on normal pedals always felt like trying to run in a swimming pool so my kick timing pretty much sucked with any other pedal and I'd get a sore ankle after like 5-10 minutes.

Edited by TubularCorporation

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'm a pretty bad drummer and don't even own a kit anymore but I'll never, never get rid of the Jacques Capelle kick pedal that a friend found in a relative's basement in high school and let me take when he quit drumming.

I don't know what the odds are of finding one at any kind of decent price but you're probably in just aout the only part of the world where there's a halfway decent chance one might be lying around in a closet someplace so if you do see one, grab it. They're pretty nice.

https://reverb.com/item/48212982-jacques-capelle-twin-spring-bass-drum-pedal-1970-s-rare-collectors-pedal-ultra-clean

EDIT: part of the reason I'm a bad drummer is after high school I never had a place I could practice, but another real factor is that the dual spring on the Jaques Cappelle made it so easy to play that I never really developed any kind of ankle strength and playing on normal pedals always felt like trying to run in a swimming pool so my kick timing pretty much sucked with any other pedal and I'd get a sore ankle after like 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the tip. That pedal looks insane but getting a new pedal is so low on priorities list now. I pick the iron cobra because I already have one back home and it’s pretty good and you can configure it to your liking. 
Another thing with the bass drum is that so so much depends on how your heads are tuned and set up - whether you have a huge drum, a hole in the resonant head, how low the batter is tuned etc etc. That’s basically why you should not think too much about the pedal until you have a dedicated space with a kit that is kept in good tune and you don’t come back to it one day and see that someone absolutely destroyed the resonant heads because I know that dumbass past me did this kind of stuff for example.

1 minute ago, sheatheman said:

man i love this kind of sound, especially the ones that sound like this

i've always wondered how you get that sound. i've been doing it lately by making really short decays of different waveforms and filtering them etc. this makes me want to make a small eurorack just to have a few modules to send cv to the noon.

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

Thanks for the tip. That pedal looks insane but getting a new pedal is so low on priorities list now. I pick the iron cobra because I already have one back home and it’s pretty good and you can configure it to your liking. 
Another thing with the bass drum is that so so much depends on how your heads are tuned and set up - whether you have a huge drum, a hole in the resonant head, how low the batter is tuned etc etc. That’s basically why you should not think too much about the pedal until you have a dedicated space with a kit that is kept in good tune and you don’t come back to it one day and see that someone absolutely destroyed the resonant heads because I know that dumbass past me did this kind of stuff for example.

The thing about the Jacques Cappele is that since the return speed is also spring adjustable you can make it fel pretty much the same regardless of how badly tuned the worn out head on your crappy drum kit is, which is what made it work for me when I was 17. Fooled me into thinking I could actually play!

There's actually a fancier version that has a huge adjustable bar that clamps vertically across the entire diameter of your kick to make the pedal stay in place even if you drop the drums out a window or something.  I think those are really rare though.  Either way I bet Cerrone played one of these things at one point or another.