IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Going back to the TX-6, I saw this on their site:

"super slimline cables
high quality, slimline cables custom-made for TX–6. the narrow profile allows you to use all 6 channels at once and makes for an easy pack down"

Does that mean that some industry standard (ie Hosa) cables won't work if you need to use all the inputs? If so, that's shady as fuck.

On the Syntakt, it seems like dynamics interplay between tracks is the party piece. That's cool.

Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have a small form factor device that I can bring to trips and use it to mess around and make some music. Then I remember that I have a laptop, a smartphone and a Yamaha QY100.

That said the Teenage Engineering mixer thing will probably be useful for many people who do not want to involve computers in their setup and are willing to pay a premium for that.

Edited by thawkins

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have a small form factor device that I can bring to trips and use it to mess around and make some music.

I was going to make a Roland PMA-5 joke but when I was searching to remember the actual model number I found out that apparently Autechre used to use them.

roland-pma-5-797980.jpg

• Like 1

I realized yesterday the TX-6 is fully digital, so what you're getting is some converters, a processor and firmware, a few pots and a milled aluminum case.  I know the materials aren't the only factor that goes into the final cost of producing a product, and getting the cases manufacture without the economies of scale a company like Apple can take advantage of is going to cost a bit, but the price still seems really high even for Teenage Engineering.  I hope the people who work at the factory in China where it's manufactured are paid proportionately*.

TE already has a pretty big pool of existing code from their other products, too, so it's not like they had to develop the firmware from the ground up.

*riiiiight

It's already sold, but a few years back $1200 could have bought a brand new teapot shaped like Alestair Crowley

CrowleyTeapot-800x800.jpg

EDIT: yeah, I know Charles Krafft turned out to be an unironic neonazi but it's still a baller teapot.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

I am dying to see a demo of the TX-6 in "DJ Mode" for comedy purposes. Their description of the functionality, coupled with the size of the faders, got a legit LOL from me.

I'be been entertaining myself with the idea of a limited edition + 96 channel foh desk with 6 aux busses and 4 stereo send return pairs. When their chief engineer appears in the promo video recorded for a npr tiny desk with 10 piece band plus full orchestre to give some background on the technical/design challenges his team was faced with he sounds exactly like Rob Brydon's man trapped in a box. In the background we see a local crew manically digging through flightcases to find the one that has all  slimline minijack to xlr/audio over utp/ multisnek adapters.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:49 PM, iococoi said:

Stereo Field sounds so much better recorded on a Portastudio. Like pissing on a campfire.

Big lo-fi delay/reverb gatekeeping energy here. Whoever made this meme is really righteous about their MS-70CDR and MicroFreak.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:53 AM, psn said:
Be aware that the internal sound engine of the Tracker is about 25-30 ms delayed behind the outgoing MIDI sequences. A total pain in the ass if you want to work with hardware only, as the the only viable workaround is to monitor/record through a DAW and set up track delays for all the MIDI tracks.

Polyend has been trying to patch the issue since before version 1.3, and there still doesn't seem to be a fix available in the 1.6 beta:

god damn this is a serious bonerkiller. i'm currently selling my digitakt to buy the tracker because digitakt is an over hyped one-shot sequencer. thanks for killing my plans lol

hope whatever polyend are about to release will interest me more

• Burger 1

Roland has released the Juno X - A Fully DIGITAL clone of the Juno 106 and Juno 60.

This one with speakers integrated in the synth and a small screen to navigate thru your library of boring brass sounds and also DRUM Patches. 
It is not a joke, Roland still don't get it after so many years with Behringer and Korg producing fully Analog clones of classic synths! 

£1700 for this mess and Roland is digging their own grave. Rip Roland 

roland-junox-top-rear.jpeg

• Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, cern said:

Roland has released the Juno X - A Fully DIGITAL clone of the Juno 106 and Juno 60.

This one with speakers integrated in the synth and a small screen to navigate thru your library of boring brass sounds and also DRUM Patches. 
It is not a joke, Roland still don't get it after so many years with Behringer and Korg producing fully Analog clones of classic synths! 

you all are completely missing the "indie rocker from 2008" market that this is geared towards

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cern said:

Haha, wow at these stubborn idiots... 

• Like 1

Weren't there a bunch of other juno's before this that were also digital and didn't have that much to do with 6/60/106? I bet they just went with the esthetic and it's actually also a bunch of other classic vst's at the same time.

I fail to understand your disappointment btw, if roland would do an og rerelease of the juno don't you think it would cost about as much as a used juno? 808 & 909, I could see them retailing for around 2000,- local monetary units which I guess would probably save you a couple of grand but on a juno? I dunno. 

Korg doesn't do clones btw. Or did I miss something?

But yeah, flol at huge company not restarting production on some machines they made decades ago that are now being released by other companies at a pricepoint they will never be able or willing (this is is speculation ofc) to compete with. Especially after their ceo or chief of design or whatever has stated (several times, I believe) that Roland as a company want to look to the future and is not interested in going back to techniques they no longer use.

Edited by user

It's also ZenCore, i.e not even ACB which is their best modeling. A used Juno doesn't cost much more. I'm guessing this will fail and R will take that to mean the retro fad is over so they'll focus on new uninspired crap as usual. 

• Like 2

In a few years I wonder if you could get one of these used, rehouse a Behringer Deepmind in it, slap on a new logo and flip it for like $3k as a custom mod, kind of ike that guy who sells fancy, rehoused Korg Minilogues for thousands.

Just now, chim said:

It's also ZenCore, i.e not even ACB which is their best modeling. A used Juno doesn't cost much more. I'm guessing this will fail and R will take that to mean the retro fad is over so they'll focus on new uninspired crap as usual. 

I thought they recently rolled out a newer generation modelling tech that was even better than ACB so I assumed it was that (if it exists).

Im waiting to see what’s this new oberheim+sequential synth that’s about to be released/announced, that’ll determine destiny of my ob-6

4 hours ago, cern said:

That’s just plain sad

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chim said:

This new one is the perfect encapsulation of everything that’s wrong with Roland rn