IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Ive had a lot of gear go through my hands. Not cause Im rich cause Im stubborn. 

What did you GAS a bit over and it ended up amazing?   Synthi

What did you GAS hard over and it ended up a major disappointment?  The stuff I hate are things like menu diving. Anything that involves layers of menus and 400 page manuals. Ive had plenty of gear like that but can't remember it right  now.

What do you regret selling?  Minimoog, Eml 400 401, and the polymoog even though it had no midi retrofit

I wish more gear was built like the synthi. What would a Minimoog sound like with an unbuffered matrix and a ring mod ? I bet amazing. 

Edited by marf

On 9/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, Nil said:

What did you GAS a bit over and it ended up amazing? I've been wishing to learn Max for 2 decades, dreaded the learning curve and now that I've dived in (with v8.3) I'm astounded by its ergonomics and pedagogical value. Not to mention the possibilities. Needless to say though that I know now exactly what I want to do with it (a algorithmic / generative sequencer), which obviously makes a world of difference.

What did you GAS hard over and it ended up a major disappointment? Each and every hardware synths I've bought, without any exception. I'm a software guy.

What do you regret selling? Nothing I guess. 

Can't wait to hear what you'll do with Max/msp ! No regret about the monome Grid ? It can be a great controller for a Max homemade sequencer !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e-mertz said:

Would love a new drum-machine with some serious character and this seems to tick all boxes. Also a small mixer like on the 707. Finally manufacturers re-using that concept!

This sounds way better than the new Korg abomination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flacid said:

This sounds way better than the new Korg abomination. 

yeah, i was really looking forward to the Drumlogue but nearly everything i've heard out of the demos/whatever of it this week have been mediocre or weak. a few people did some interesting stuff with it and occasionally even made it sound good...but by and large it seems it's too compromised/bland for my tastes. i immediately started looking at the LXR as i'm trying to find something as a complement/alternate to my Rytm. LXR sounds pretty versatile and can get weird in a good way, but i'm not 100% sold just yet. it's surely solid for the price, just not sure it's for me right  now.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a real shame. I love Korg and I know that you shouldn't go off the factory patterns but I didn't like any of the sounds coming out of it. I know it's not very progressive but I'd have been happy with a Korg MS20 drum machine with parameter locks (I'm sure this can be done already). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Can't wait to hear what you'll do with Max/msp ! No regret about the monome Grid ? It can be a great controller for a Max homemade sequencer !

Thanks friend ! I'm learning as I patch, and make some nice progress everyday so I'm thrilled. I'm now getting satisfying melodies with generative sequencers I can freeze/unfreeze on the fly, totally or partially, which is something I've been dreaming of for 2 decades now. I rely a lot on some of the new 8.3 objects, lovely stuff : audio rate sequencing is awesome, so sharp and flexible.

While I loved my monomes, I don't regret selling them one bit. All my gear is easily replaceable if needed, I appreciate that. I was getting paranoid touring with my then super rare / hard to replace monomer(s).

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Nil said:

Thanks friend ! I'm learning as I patch, and make some nice progress everyday so I'm thrilled. I'm now getting satisfying melodies with generative sequencers I can freeze/unfreeze on the fly, totally or partially, which is something I've been dreaming of for 2 decades now. I rely a lot on some of the new 8.3 objects, lovely stuff : audio rate sequencing is awesome, so sharp and flexible.

While I loved my monomes, I don't regret selling them one bit. All my gear is easily replaceable if needed, I appreciate that. I was getting paranoid touring with my then super rare / hard to replace monomer(s).

Did you change your message. I could have sworn you said buffer manipulation:. I wanted to ask what you had planned for that. 

On 9/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, marf said:

Did you change your message. I could have sworn you said buffer manipulation:. I wanted to ask what you had planned for that. 

Nope ? To be honest I have no clue how I'd do it, I'm too much of a novice. But you just gave me tons of ideas and I now have to figure that out , so thank you !

Looks like I caused a GAS outbreak ?

The Drumlogue looks cool but I'm not amazed for the price. Sounds like some lesser version of a rytm.

My only concern with the LXR is that there seems to be several pages of a parameters for each instrument. Would have like the machine to be bigger with knobs per instrument.

Edited by e-mertz
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:45 PM, dcom said:

Now I'm torn between LXR-02 and 1010music Blackbox for my next GAS fix. Damn.

I've had the blackbox for a year. Very well designed sampler that somewhat lacked character for me. Felt more like a tool than an instrument.

But I seem to be in the minority as everyone praises it.

Edited by e-mertz

3 minutes ago, e-mertz said:

But I seem to be in the minority as everyone praises it.

I also think that it's more of a tool than an instrument, because it requires external gear to make things more expressive and approachable. If you feel like selling yours for a decent price, let me know.