IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

1010Music_nanobox-Razzmatazz_01c-scaled.jpg

Got myself one of these (1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz), it's fun in a very small package, altough the price point will make a lot of people avoid it. Based on it I'll most probably go for both the Fireball and the Lemondrop, too, and put off getting a Blackbox (at least for a while).

Sorry*, this looks like the remote control for those fancy japanese toilets.

* not sorry

Edit: on video it seems absolutely unusable for anyone with big fingers, too.

I guess I am kind of tired of the fad where they put a computer in a touchscreen thing with some buttons, and viola here is a new product. I think I get it though: making something physical means bigger profit margins than just doing an iPad app or a VST. ?

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exitonly said:

the apollos are great. the plugins can be a money pit though

I got a shit ton of plugins in a bundle so  I don’t plan on buying any other plugins.

28 minutes ago, Squee said:

I got a shit ton of plugins in a bundle so  I don’t plan on buying any other plugins.

It’s not that bad if you wait for sales etc

The one offer that expires for black Friday in a few hours you can buy any 6 UAD plugins for £259 (£43.16 each)

The big sales happen twice a year, so wait if you really wanted something.

On 11/29/2022 at 2:40 PM, dcom said:

1010Music_nanobox-Razzmatazz_01c-scaled.jpg

Got myself one of these (1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz), it's fun in a very small package, altough the price point will make a lot of people avoid it. Based on it I'll most probably go for both the Fireball and the Lemondrop, too, and put off getting a Blackbox (at least for a while).

Yowza McBowza!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of acquiring the rest of the Nanoboxes, but now I'm lusting over Erica Synths DB-01, not just a bassline, but a very versatile monosynth. My only gripe is the lack of MIDI control, like Arturia Brutes the DB-01 is a very hands-on device and a lot of the features are based on the sequencer, but there's a lot of them. The UI is very sparse and there's a lot of menu diving to get to everything, the display is just a simple segment one, but the menus are shallow and easy to access. I've been watching Richard DeHove's tutorial videos and the box is fantastic, maybe I'll get one at some point to accompany the LXR-02.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, dcom said:

SmplTrek's Kickstarter is in the shipping phase, I might get mine soon.

off topic but i would never in a million years press play on a video with that thumbnail the third link has. goddamn lol

On 11/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, dcom said:

ok, i'm intrigued by this

• Haha 1

Does anyone have a TR-8 + SP-404A combo? I'm keen to know if the SP-404A (M)FX are/can be applied when samples are triggered by the TR-8; there are some indications towards no, but I can't find a reliable source to confirm or deny.

Edited by dcom

1 hour ago, dcom said:

Does anyone have a TR-8 + SP-404A combo? I'm keen to know if the SP-404A (M)FX are/can be applied when samples are triggered by the TR-8; there are some indications towards no, but I can't find a reliable source to confirm or deny.

Have you tried broadening your search by finding out if the SP404's fx can be applied to externally triggered samples? The TR-8 just sends out regular midi notes when the pads are in external trigger mode.

On 1/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, thawkins said:

I haven't bought any gear since last summer I think. I am quietly trying to hype myself up to getting a Studiologic SL88 to have a real hammer action controller though.

Do it! I ummed and ahhed for at least a year but finally went for it, think about 2 years ago, and I wouldn't want to go without it anymore. I think I got the SL88 studio.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, user said:

Have you tried broadening your search by finding out if the SP404's fx can be applied to externally triggered samples?

Yes, no data. I know how the triggering works (TR-8 sends MIDI notes in the range of 47-106 in blocks of 11 on channels 1 and 2 to trigger the 11 pads [yes, no pad 12 at all] of each SP-404A bank [A-J], and TR-8's volume sliders send CCs to control the sample volume [among other things]), but whether the SP-404A effects can be manually applied or not is an information black hole.

Maybe I'll just get an SP-404A and find out for myself, then do a writeup on the combo to make it easier for everybody else. It's trivial to hook the TR-8 to something that displays all the MIDI it sends out even without the SP-404A, but I can't find anything on the effect question I have.

Addendum: I know I could go for a more general solution and trigger about anything you can think of with the TR-8 (I could whip up a Blokas Midihub pipe to rewrite what the TR-8 sends to do whatever I want) - but I'm specifically interested in the SP-404A mapping and functionality.

Edited by dcom

I don't actually WANT it but I definitely NEED a Behringer SNR-208 8 channel analog noise reduction.  The trouble is even though they show up pretty regularly in the $80 range, it seems like they're always in Europe and cost more to ship to the USA than the actual asking price. 

Overjoyed to finally find another TX7. It's the one gear I really regreted selling, punching way above its selling rate and has been nowhere to be seen in ages. The Plogue emulation is excellent but couldn't quite scratch that gunky itch of the original. Subtractives are a dime a dozen these days but old school FM is a unique beast. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, dcom said:

Oh, and my Erica DB-01 came in, it's an effin' beast of a box, I love it.

Is this your video mate? 

for the first three minutes or so, it bordered on a bit harsh for me but then the sub level went up and a bit of FM and it all went gooey and lush….nice

1 hour ago, Grain Bastard said:

Is this your video mate? 

No, but I've been playing with my unit and it's really easy to get that sound out of it, I've been able to get even better drones with some tweaking of the video's ideas, e.g. running a pattern with just one step and then removing it with the VCA fully open, so I can just tweak the knobs - and the best variation is to use a C0 note, I could make a demonstration at some point - there are some very interesting sounds you can get out of the DB-01.

Edited by dcom
  • Thanks 1