IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

40 minutes ago, e-mertz said:

Much more interesting than the smpltrek for me.

I got my SmplTrek a while back, and it's an interesting piece of kit, although the macro workflow is quite alien compared to almost everything else; micro level with piano rolls and step sequencing is familiar, but e.g. getting sends to work on a drum track's kit required a bit of sleuthing, as there are three places that control it (the kit's separate sample sends [required for the following two to have any effect], the track's automatable send and the channel's mixer send). Editing everything is a bit weird with the large postage stamp sized monochrome screen and the navigation/menu diving isn't exactly intuitive, but nevertheless it's a fun piece of equipment that's usable quite well on its own. I don't think I'll be able to integrate it with the setups I use with my other equipment, so I'll have to see if I care to keep it or will I offload it to someone else.

Oh, and there's a lo-fi mode for all samples in SmplTrek, too, and it's 12bit, so you can get that sound with it - but it's not as specific as the Liven Lofi-12, which has the same form factor and general layout as the other Livens (I have XFM and 8bit Warps).

Edited by dcom

On 6/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, dcom said:

When USB port's connected to the MX-1 with AIRA Link, the only auudio route through the E-4's effects signal path comes from the mic in. If you hook up the E-4 to your computer with USB, you get the E-4 as an USB out in your DAW, and if I understand correctly, this is the only way you get the effects signal path without the mic in.

Oh how wrong I've been with this, I should've just read the manual more carefully: the unit's 3.5 mm MIX OUT is actually also a HEADSET plug, meaning that you can use a CTIA 4-pole (TRRS) splitter, and get a line-level input and output you can use in whatever way you want. Here's a video from Free Beat where they use that, but they fail to mention that it's a CTIA (vs. OMTP) type adapter you need to have - but it's mentioned in the E-4 manual. I'm going to get an adapter and use the E-4 like I wanted to - as an effects box (with a looper to boot).

I've been eyeing the Roland AIRA eurorack effects, especially Scooper (the scatter effect in Roland's equipment), but the E-4 does that - and more, so I'm happy as a clam now.

Edited by dcom

Holy crap, apparently I've been living under a rock and didn't realize the -takts got song mode. Kinda want a Syntakt now. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 1

dsc06854-jpg.846819

Bought one of these badboys. trying to build a polyend tracker clock-synced envelope generator/trigger system in VCV rack and I wanted some control for the digital side of things.. it's been working pretty well, wonder where the limit is/will be with the software architecture or my CPU... :sleep:

• Like 4

I wanted an MX-12 but the price was too high.  In retrospect, I'm actually glad I didn't get it because the UC-4 form factor is so nice.  The only real issue is the same issue most fader controllers have, and that's no motorized faders (but that's obviously not a realiztic option on the UC-4 anyway).  

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'm actually glad I didn't get it because the UC-4 form factor is so nice. 

I guess you can have multiple scenes to control different things, just change the scene and you have different targets? MX-12 would be nice because of the 1:1 controls for each Bluebox (mono) channel.

Yeah, you can have a bunch of different scenes but honestly I use one really basic one 99% of the time and hardly even use the rotatry encoders, I could have dotten away with a simpler, cheaper fader box but nobody makes one that compact.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, dcom said:

I'm keen to know if the SP-404A (M)FX are/can be applied when samples are triggered by the TR-8; there are some indications towards no, but I can't find a reliable source to confirm or deny.

In the end the only way to find out if the SP-404A's M/FX are applied when samples are triggered by the TR-8 was to get a SP-404A, hook everything up and test it myself, and the answer is yes, they are, so it's all good. Next I will try out the SP-404A as an outboard effect processor with my DJ mixer, although without automatic tempo sync, but my sets usually have a constant BPM, so manual setting is fine.

5 hours ago, dcom said:

Modal Argon 8M or Cobalt 8M. Thoughts?

i’ve got an Argon8 (the X full keyboard version) and i’ve enjoyed it. the effects are better than they were but still not exceptional, the basic wave shaping and sound capabilities are strong. it can be the star of a track or sit back in a mix, or provide subtle ambience.

the build is….okay. some of the knobs seem to have gotten a bit ‘loose’ i guess, will skip parts of the turn. not terrible, but it’s there. connections (inputs outputs etc) section feels on the cheap side. however the keybed is a Fatar and it’s better than i can appreciate (not a keys player but learning v slowly).

workflow of sound design is a bit awkward….i’ve had it for almost 2 years i think, use it regularly, but i still have to hunt and read and dig around in the menus/shift system to do basic sound design that really should all be more simple.

for the price, it’s a solid buy. it’s got some great sounds, but not an instant classic or anything. i honestly bought it for the keybed more than the synthesis, but have come to appreciate the sound. i imagine they’ll get things better on a V2 if they’re working on that (pure speculation).

from i heard/read of the Cobalt it’s basically the exact same hardware externally with different computer guts and obviously the sound design is going more for a virtual analog thing than a cold wavetable synth of the Argon.

Edited by auxien
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, auxien said:

i’ve got an Argon8

Thank you for the comments, I've got an Argon8M on loan and I do like it, but based on video reviews and sound tests I think I'd like the Cobalt better. I found the Argon's sound design workflow quite easy to approach, I know it's different from the keyboard models as the module is smaller with a reduced number of buttons/encoders. The sound is a bit cold at times, but like you said, that's a wavetable feature. I've got another wavetable synth, 1010music's Nanobox Fireball, and it's the same compared to the soft analogue juiciness of a e.g. Dreadbox Erebus. All the MPE features are enticing, but I have only aftertouch at my disposal, so can't comment on those. Too bad I don't know anyone with a Cobalt, I would like to get my hands on one to make an informed choice.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dcom said:

I've got an Argon8M on loan and I do like it, but based on video reviews and sound tests I think I'd like the Cobalt better. I found the Argon's sound design workflow quite easy to approach, I know it's different from the keyboard models as the module is smaller with a reduced number of buttons/encoders.

i see...yeah the Argon8 sounds are solid, the recent updates over the last year have added a surprising amount of sound shaping options. and if the workflow is meshing with you, plus the sounds you've heard from the Cobalt are more what you're looking for....seems like the Cobalt is a good idea.

i've not heard much of the Nanobox series because they just look way too small for my tastes. i'm all for compact/desktop synths but palm-sized instruments don't seem to be great. (i've got a volca kick and it's only saving grace is that there's only a few things it does, so it's more of a set it and forget it thing)

but on the wavetable tip, anti-tiny-instruments thing, and just general GAS thread chat, i've been eyeing a Waldorf M. really not needing to spend that kind of money on a new synth right now but that also doesn't mean that i won't. :fail:

Edited by auxien

33 minutes ago, auxien said:

but on the wavetable tip, anti-tiny-instruments thing, and just general GAS thread chat, i've been eyeing a Waldorf M.

I've researched wavetable synths a bit, and ASM Hydrasynth variants seem to be the weapon of choice for many, the price point is a bit above Argon, but still much cheaper than Waldorf M.

I finally got a second power conditioner (another new-old-stock Ametek Powervar ABC830-11, same as the first one, but any of their standard power conditioners should work just as well as long as it's specced for your setup) because the basement studio I have now has two circuits and I have to run gear on both of them.

I didn't really expect it to help much with the ground loop problems I've been having at the new place, but I guess it really does its job well because it did more than help - it completely got rid of all the hum in my whole setup.  Night and day, from a noise floor above -70dB when all of my gear is turned on (which I don't do when I record because it's too noisy, but usually do when I'm streaming or writing) to compleyely silent - I can't even get anything on the meters unless I boost the main output from my mixer up all the way to +20 (the highest the interface will go).  That's too hot for most mic signals, much less line level, and even then it's pretty low. Lower than I used to get with a much simpler setup running on one circuit with everything powered from a typical Furman.

Really can't recommend these things highly enough, especially considering what a "pro audio" power conditioner that's in a rack case and maybe has some metering but otherwise isn't any better would cost. The standard models all have a medical grade counterpart (with a "MED" suffix on the product number - so mine would be an ABC830-11MED in that case) that's even higher specced than standard, but I doubt it would be worth it (not that they're much more - the used price of a MED model is usually comparable to the new-old-stock price of a standard). Maybe if you used a bunch of vintage tube gear and tape machines or something.

powervar-83-abc83011-productimage-0.jpg

Everybody needs one! I've brought them up before and I'll bring them up again and it will still be true.  

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I've researched wavetable synths a bit, and ASM Hydrasynth variants seem to be the weapon of choice for many, the price point is a bit above Argon, but still much cheaper than Waldorf M.

i've sure heard some good things out of the Hydrasynth, but overall it doesn't seem like something i'd personally get on with. M seems to be capable of a bit more unknown depths, i guess is the way i think about it. but without actually using either it's really hard to say....a lot of my personal experience enjoying an instrument or not comes down to workflow and allowing for immediate, intuitive reactions, which is hard to judge until it's on the desk, yknow? there's a plethora of machines that sound great tho, no doubt. 

also: any reason you grabbed the Fireball instead of a Hydrasynth or other wavetable options?

Edited by auxien

3 minutes ago, auxien said:

any reason you grabbed the Fireball instead of a Hydrasynth or other wavetable options?

The Nanoboxes are like Pokémon, gotta catch them all. I got a Bluebox first, and it's a cool little mixer, so I just went for the lot, I've got a Blackbox coming in next week. I just wanted to try them out and see if they're fun, and they are, and surprisingly deep and expressive considering the form factor. Like I've explained before, I like small pieces loosely joined, and they fit the bill. My GAS is not at all rational nor utilitarian, it's idiosyncratic bordering on idiocy. Here's my current Dreadbox family portrait.

Dreadboxes.thumb.jpg.d1a5609fa98c233001bf37e1fc236250.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an iRig 2 for 10 € and with that I can finally use the Roland E-4 with any input signal through the mix out jack, I just tortured the Erebus for twenty minutes going through the E-4's scatter, sounds great with the right ones. Now I'll have to run the whole gamut of scatter variants to learn what goes well with what. Noice.

Spoiler

I also have a TR-8 and a MX-1 with the same scatter effect(s), but I bought the E-4 for use as a general effects box, and now it works. I would prefer to find an AIRA Scooper modular effect, but this'll do for the time being.

Edited by dcom

Snagged a fully working Yamaha PSS-570 from the trash today, I forgot how good these things sound.  This might be the one that I finally use the old Highly Liquid UMRK that I've been sitting on for like 8 years in, it deserves MIDI.

I've been waiting for one to turn up ever since I was roommates with a friend who has one back in 2011 (he still has it and uses it), but I'd pretty much given up, especially when eBay prices started breaking $200 a few years back.

EDIT: I forgot this is the one that can make some of the most iconic banda and norteño tuba sounds, too.

Edited by TubularCorporation

I finally got my hands on a Roland AIRA Scooper (scatter + looper) modular effect, and first impressions are even better than I expected. There are scatter effects on TR-8(S) and MX-1 that are based on what Scooper does, but Scooper allows CV/gate control of the parameters so I can use e.g. Twisted Electrons' Crazy8 Beats to sequence it. I've been learning the ropes manually, next I'll hook it up with more than just sync to try my hand at sequencing the effect, then I'll have to look into the innards and how to virtually customize the unit's inner workings with Roland's software, it's crazy what the AIRA modular effect boxes can do. Joy. I'll most probably hunt down the other three (Demora = delay, Torcido = distortion, Bitrazer = bitcrush) too, then I'll need a 84 hp powered eurorack case to house them (although they're desktop compatible it would be easier to have them in a case because one wall wart is definitely better than four)...

Edited by dcom