IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

My gear is worth a lot but Im not going to sell it. 

Well maybe Volca FM the first one that is kinda toyish.. It sounds bloody good thru the Eventide Space Verb tho.

7 hours ago, cern said:

My gear is worth a lot but Im not going to sell it. 

That’s what I said about my Monomachine until someone offered me 3500 euros for it! 
Still, i miss it badly ?

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

None of my gear is worth anything because I'm not going to sell it.

Reverb's My Collection tells me that it's valued between 13,490.98 € - 17,639.38 €, and currently I feel that even though I would need to offload some of it, I most probably won't. I've been collecting records for over 30 years (Discogs median value low six figures) and I've sold any just once (to make rent, almost 30 years ago), and I still regret it (even though I've mostly reacquired the records I sold back then). So yeah, even though both have value, they're worthless for all intents and purposes because I'm not selling.

Useless GAS: just listened to a few of my tracks from a year ago which were recorded through the SP404 mk II I briefly had.

Now I want an SP404 again.

Not for sampling as its sequencer drives me nuts but only for one single effect, the 303 vinyl sim (IIRC). Makes *everything* sound good.

8 minutes ago, Limo said:

I got an SP-404A and not the MKII only because the TR-8 trigger support - nothing magical, just that when you connect the TR-8 MIDI out to SP-404A MIDI in, SP-404A:s audio out to TR-8 external in (with sidechain support) and configure the TR-8 instruments to trigger the sampler instead of internal sounds, you can mix and match TR-8/SP-404A instruments/samples (because the TR-8 sends hardcoded MIDI channel + note messages the SP-404A supports). I could've just upgraded to a TR-8S, but I also wanted to explore the SP-404A's effects and other bric-a-brac. The SP-404A is a fun piece of kit on its own, too.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, auxien said:

price sounds good for trying the Peak out, i imagine you can flip it for around that price again if it doesn't gel with you.

Sealed the deal on the Peak, I'll get it at the end of the month. Plenty of time to trawl the manual before that, thanks for the commentary. I'll let you know what I think when I get my hands on the unit.

• Farnsworth 1

3 hours ago, Limo said:

Useless GAS: just listened to a few of my tracks from a year ago which were recorded through the SP404 mk II I briefly had.

Not for sampling as its sequencer drives me nuts but only for one single effect, the 303 vinyl sim (IIRC). Makes *everything* sound good.

The mk2 is such a fun piece of hardware! One of my fav machines lately! Great combo with a Digitone or OP-1 

Edited by xox

1 hour ago, dcom said:

Sealed the deal on the Peak, I'll get it at the end of the month. Plenty of time to trawl the manual before that, thanks for the commentary. I'll let you know what I think when I get my hands on the unit.

cool cool! will be curious how it compares to the Hydra for you.

1 hour ago, xox said:

The mk2 is such a fun piece of hardware! One of my fav machines lately!

I can see why people would say that but I could personally never get over the clunky sequencer ? Especially not in a world where MPCs exist.

1 hour ago, xox said:

Great combo with a Digitone or OP-1 

With any sound source, basically ?

I have an MC-101 for this purpose. Though an iPad would work as well.

My own setup for the summer holidays is going to be an iPad mini as a sound source (YouTube, synths - and my collection of easy tune and exotica mp3s) and an MPC 500 for sampling and sequencing - it just arrived today and it’s soooo cute!

since 2016 I had the impression this topic is about Wolfgang Voigt - GAS which turned into a general discussion about ambient.

Edited by o00o
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Limo said:

I can see why people would say that but I could personally never get over the clunky sequencer ? Especially not in a world where MPCs exist.

With any sound source, basically ?

I have an MC-101 for this purpose. Though an iPad would work as well.

My own setup for the summer holidays is going to be an iPad mini as a sound source (YouTube, synths - and my collection of easy tune and exotica mp3s) and an MPC 500 for sampling and sequencing - it just arrived today and it’s soooo cute!

Sp404 mk2’s has a rudimentary sequencer but it’s good enough for me most of the time especially bc it has other ways of building a beat/melody/track. I’m somehow not interested in mpcs, at least not in the modern ones! At that point id rather just use a Macbook pro tbh, with Ableton and Max! Mpc1000 with jjos would be my pick if id go akai route. The mpc500 is great bc it’s quite a bit more mobile but should be paired with something else most of the times; an ipad mini is a great choice for a mobile rig, i agree ? 

My mobile set up for this year’s summer will be, used interchangeably in diff combinations, an M8, OP-1f, SP404 mk2, iPhone, Sony d100 (maybe with Usi mics)

17 minutes ago, xox said:

Sp404 mk2’s has a rudimentary sequencer but it’s good enough for me most of the time especially bc it has other ways of building a beat/melody/track

Yeah, this is on me.

17 minutes ago, xox said:

I’m somehow not interested in mpcs, at least not in the modern ones! At that point id rather just use a Macbook pro tbh, with Ableton and Max!

Depends on what you want to do, I suppose. To me there's a world of difference between a MacBook with Ableton and a modern MPC. The controls and the pad and the workflow just make an MPC more of an instrument ... dunno, for me it just clicks. Love at first sight, in fact.

19 minutes ago, xox said:

My mobile set up for this year’s summer will be, used interchangeably in diff combinations, an M8, OP-1f, SP404 mk2, iPhone, Sony d100 (maybe with Usi mics)

Nice ? If the M8 were more readily available, I might have considered it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xox said:

That’s what I said about my Monomachine until someone offered me 3500 euros for it! 
Still, i miss it badly ?

I love my Monomachine MK2 so badly also, It is just so deep and unique. 
I Just turn it on and start making weird beats and chords is so fun. 

I bought it second hand for 700 euro 2014 and have then just seen the prices going wild. 
Even If someone said "I buy it for 10.000 Euros" I know I would feel that same regret. 

Every synth I know "this is a good tool in every aspect" is not worth selling even if you get so good offer. 

My only one biggest regret selling is the Mono Evolver Key Pot Edition. 
Bought it for 1000 Euro and sold it for 1200 Euro. 

Even if you needed money the thinking of "why selling such a good machine?" will always hunts you. 
Lesson learned I guess. 

• Like 1

I was getting into a frenzy asking chatgpt to write supercollider code for all manor of things. Dream me up this fft app. Make a buchla sequencer. Make an arp 2600 . It was pumping all this code out. 

I was getting so excited , but none of it worked ?

Maybe someday. 

3 hours ago, marf said:

I was getting into a frenzy asking chatgpt to write supercollider code for all manor of things. Dream me up this fft app. Make a buchla sequencer. Make an arp 2600 . It was pumping all this code out. 

I was getting so excited , but none of it worked ?

Maybe someday. 

ChatGPT is useless.

Truly the tulip mania of 2023.

There's some rote memorization tasks (basic medical exams, bar exams etc) it can score Bs on and it can write answers to simple *and extremely common* college sophomore essay questions (and again score no higher than a B, which is hardly impressive) but that's about it.

Which shouldn't be surprising if you know a little bit about how it works.

• Like 1

Im rooting for it. It's going to get waaaay better. Tech advances more than anything I can think of. 

We might have to go back to driving old cars, using carbon copy for credit cards, paper filing systems again. I want to say make me an FFT app that has never been done before.

Make a voice turn into a spinning bowl and then into a vocoded vocal that has a carrier made of sounds sequenced from cellular automata's rule 30. Im not eloquent enough. That will be a skill. Being eloquent enough to describe what you want. 

Edited by marf

On 5/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, TubularCorporation said:

The DIY synth that sounds like a trombone is actually really cool.

Totally agreed. Sounds great on this demo as well.

They nailed the playing interface for that tone, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Behringer's Edge arrived, and I've probably never immediately spent this much time with a single synth. It's amazing even with the 8-step internal sequencer, can't wait to hook it up to the Torso T-1 or OXI One to get longer patterns and start patching and tweaking. I have a friend who has a DFAM, so I'm going to try and borrow it from him for a while, and check out the differences myself. I've also never thought I'd want more than one of any synth, but I really could go for a second Edge. It's oodles of fun.

can anyone suggest any creative uses for the sp404 mk2? i got it and doesn't feel like i'm jelling with the workflow very well - the sequencer is too archaic (after using digitakt) and i find it difficult to use besides as a resampling fx box, which feels like a waste considering how much it costs