IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Guest Chesney

I friend lent me his P6 while he was away for a month. I'll be honest, I didn't really like it and I don't even know why.

It sounded amazing once you got deeper into tweaking but it annoyed me that there was effects. It seemed too easy to go straight to them and make the sound glorious. I know, who cares as long as you get the sounds out right? Well, no not for me, it's more the enjoyment in learning an instrument and fine tuning the synthesis to get usable sounds. If you can slather nice effects on straight away for quick satisfaction then you're missing the point of an in depth synth.

Also, there is something about the DSI sound I don't get on with. It's been the same with every one I have tried and sold.

And don't get me started again on presets haha

Regardless of my hangups the P6 IS amazing sounding it's just not for me and i'm glad that I had chance to try it before I wasted 2k

It also makes me not want the OB6 too by default but damn, that sounds ace from demo's ha

Guest bitroast

just pour a wee amount of cement over the effects knobs and pretend it was never there !!!

not liking a synth because it's too easy making nice noises i swear to god :facepalm: :^) ;^)

Edited by bitroast

lol bitroast

I kinda agree, to a lesser extent, about getting a synth to sound good without effects before drenching it.. it seems like such a more rewarding experience to finetune a patch until it sounds lush by itself, and *then* chuck some reverb/chorus/distortion on it to make it even more awesome.

Having said that though, if someone uses a synth with onboard effects, and creates something amazing with that entire setup, then that's great too. Effects are as much of a sound design tool as pure synthesis imo.

I guess it's a similar argument to the anti-presets argument. I gave up on getting angry at people making banal music with awesome synths, good for them if it makes them happy.

Guest Chesney

yeah, I totally see my retarded opinion but it still stands.

My rules are not rules for everyone and vice versa. I'm not a nazi about it, horses for courses innit.

I had no GAS for 1,5 years since birth of my son. I have barely 1-2 hours a day for music making. Furthermore since the end of last winter i had to put major part of my gear into the big ikea box because that configuration had enormous amount of overhanging wires here and there. Kid could overturn my table one day (nowadays he would do this immediately). Also dozens of power supplies were lying on the floor so i had to free up some space on the table for them. 

Nevertheless i start to experience some sparks of GAS from time to time:

Audiothingies Micromonsta

and Elektron A4

But then i realize that i have no money due to nowadays exchange rate + lack of time and i stop GASing (i wouldn't mind to have micromonsta though lol).

Also i made most compact, flexible and all-sufficient (to me) configuration for today. Thanks to OT and it's posibilities.

Behold

30275624423_da581f5b7f_o.png

Edit:

I'd also like to get Eventide DSP4000 or H8000 and mess with it via VSig  :catface:

I've got something similar, got second axoloti on the way. OT + Bassstation II + axoloti/axocontrol for synth + axoloti w/ case for fx + effects unit + compressor + mixer + prophet 12(newest purchase!!!!!!!!). That's the setup I'm aiming for at the moment.

I also really want an old eventide DSP unit like you suggest? Are we twins? I want to build a stupid diagram like you have above.

Guest Chesney

I missed out on a Harmoniser a few months ago that was literally 1 mile away and was gutted. So I bought a space and a Pitchfactor.

The Space is amazing, much prefer it to the bigsky which people often compare. The pitchfactor is not quite as usable as you'd expect but it's really fun.

Ha, I keep looking at reverbs like the bigsky/space and thinking I need them. Meanwhile I have a quadraverb, midiverb III, behringer virtualizer pro and behringer RV600.. Maybe I should sell them all and get something L•U•S•H

Guest Chesney

Ha, I keep looking at reverbs like the bigsky/space and thinking I need them. Meanwhile I have a quadraverb, midiverb III, behringer virtualizer pro and behringer RV600.. Maybe I should sell them all and get something L•U•S•H

Those boxes have their own flavour and have a place in music for sure. I wouldn't sat The space etc is better just very different.

Lots of reverbs sound like an effect, not how you'd imagine playing the instrument or whatever in a real space. These effects hiss, fizz, sound metallic... sound like you have digitally affected the audio, which of course is great, like any effect, you get results that sound ace.

The Space is just different. It's smooth and almost real sounding, maybe a bit too smooth at times like being in a velvet cathedral. It sounds closer to what I want from a reverb and is fun too. I also use A PCM80 and a DP4 which are more harsh and bitty but just as usable in the right context.

Limpy: No I haven't.

Interesting. Maybe I'll see if I can try one out sometime. I like the velvet cathedral idea, and stuff like the BigSky is so damn lush it almost makes me cry.. 

Guest Chesney

I'd say that the way the "algorithms" on each pedal (Space and Bigsky) are similar that's why they get compared. They are both hugely "lush". But quite different texture wise. The bigsky is fizzier and sort of sits on or blankets the audio whereas the Space is smooth and kind of knits it's way into the sound a bit more. Depends on the wet/dry levels of course.

I've got something similar, got second axoloti on the way. OT + Bassstation II + axoloti/axocontrol for synth + axoloti w/ case for fx + effects unit + compressor + mixer + prophet 12(newest purchase!!!!!!!!). That's the setup I'm aiming for at the moment.

I also really want an old eventide DSP unit like you suggest? Are we twins? I want to build a stupid diagram like you have above.

Hey man. How do you find your Axoloti? I made plenty of FX to send to from OT via CUE output. I can tweak 'em via MIDI from OT midi pages:

30874611236_01abdbd770_b.jpg

Example of Grainverb with feedback path through Bode freq shifer:

https://clyp.it/qrp1nsyy

You can find my FDN implementation in style of Tom Erbe made of existing objects here:

http://community.axoloti.com/t/reverbs-creation/1071/27

There are some sound snippets also

Yeah totally forgot to mention 0-coast here

Edited by telefunken

Anyone heard the 0-Coast?

The filter on that thing gave me chills

Fucking great sounds out of that thing all around, yes. And not a bad price for what it is. Thinking I may grab one in a year or two used for half the price :)

Might as well ask this here.  I'd like to buy some FX units, and preferably pedals for a variety of reasons.  I'm really interested in the Red Panda Particle, but I'm wondering what else might be out there from the world of 'real' instruments that might transfer well into the world of synths/drum machines, or even just fucking cool units that would be good.  For example I still have the Boss RPS-10 on my list after seeing someone mention it here.

https://youtu.be/OXUfj6y4NO0

For example I still have the Boss RPS-10 on my list after seeing someone mention it here.

lol that may have been me. I just sold mine this week, after not using it for months. It's a good unit but just doesn't fit in to my sound..

aww man, i want one of them so bad....

Fuck yeah

This thing single-handedly restored my obsession with synthesizers

Yeah, they look really great.  It's been a great few years for affordable analog and it seems to keep getting better.

I think the plan is after I complete the Elektron dark trinity, I'll start a modular and the 0 coast will be the first thing I get for it besides the rack.

Does it even have a filter?

It's got a few, I think

But yeah, the reason I like it so much is because it gives you a bunch of different ways to manipulate overtones:

Both the 'east coast' and 'west coast' styles of dealing with overtones

(Hence "no coast")

Its probably more for the "crappy gear" thread than this thread, but for the last year or two I'd been kind of wanting to replace the old DR660 that was my first non-Casio electronic instrument back in the day, but didn't want to spend money on it, and it looks like after a month of silence a trade for the not quite as playable but vastly more ridiculous sounding DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Section is about to go down this week, so I'll have mostly scratched my 90s Boss drum machine cheese itch soon, and gotten a crappy guitar DI and pitch to midi converter too.

(minus some really nerdy shit I was obsessed with that any designer/engineer/architect in her right mind would nuke from project scope ASAP, with great prejudice)

I'd actually love for you to elaborate on this, potentially in a spoiler tag :) I used to be a heavy user of Buzz and Renoise.

As you wish...

The biggest difference from the OT was that I imagined all samples being part of the same continuous block of data, kind of like a wavetable. So you can use them individually but they actually represent addresses across the sample space and can be accessed as such.

Also, this block of wave data can also be used for modulators. So you can have an LFO that uses the same waveform data as your wavetable oscillators (or long samples, etc.). Maybe you could even put sequences, automation, or envelope in there. I was also thinking the data could be used as a source of commands like in a tracker.

A section of the table could also be recorded continuously, with feedback, in a circular way, so that it could be a delay. But the section of memory creating the delay would still be available for oscillators to use, so you could have an oscillator that evolves just by virtue of having a continuously changing delay waveform inside it. Or you could just use the whole the delay section as a loop and play it polyphonically. Of course you'd get clicks and pops but you could filter this out if you're using it as a raw waveform just like subtractive synthesis.

The modulators could run at audio rate, in fact they might be treated basically the same as the oscillators. And the oscillators/modulators could be assembled together as a patch/voice, so that what they're doing depends completely on routing.  That means you could do FM... but since it's a wavetable you could modulate the shape of the operators... and since it can also be a delay you could do Karpluss-Strong synthesis as part of the patch.

And now that I know a little more about filters since I had this though, I realize that you could also create a biquad filter out of said delay with the right coefficients. Those coefficients could also be part of the wave data, as long as it was scaled properly.

So it's actually a pretty simple idea but you could build up complexity and weirdness really quickly with it.

The interface is the problem though. All of this stuff would be nuts to control and you'd end up feeling like you're at the helm of a spaceship. I was thinking a tracker interface would be cool, but I also wanted lots of realtime control with MIDI, etc. If someone could create an interface for this that kind of unfurls and reveals its complexity gradually, this could be a really fun thing.

That said, the OT nailed the important bits of my idea:

- Recording samples spontaneously, or even as part of a sequence

- Sliding smoothly between parameters (slide p-locks)

- Variable track lengths and times

- Un-ganging a track from the master transport control and starting it spontaneously