IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

for the first 5ish years of my current project I never had a computer, I used a Zoom MRS1608 and it was wicked. Lots and lots of limitation but it was really fun. A few people I knew who were into recording, had studio's commented on how good the effects sounded on my stuff especially the reverb and were surprised when I told them. They were actually surprisingly good especially now in hindsight after changing to logic and being far from impressed by the effects and having tried many effects units since.

Haven't really messed with their digital stuff but Zoom's short lived line of analog guitar pedals was fantastic (at least the ones I've tried).  I've had this one since the mid 2000s and it sounds great on everything I've put through it.  I think they're generally an underrated company because of their reputation for budget multifx pedals.

I've got the PD, UF, and TM, though I never picked up the Hyper Lead (one day I'll complete the set!) and love them all for varying reasons. PD you've got is the best of the bunch no doubt, TM and UF can get fucking wild though. I've had a few of their multifx pedals that were often spotty and build quality was usually shit, but all had some bits of magic in them.

Yeah, an old roommategave me one of their cheapes multifx and I was going to rehouse it for a while because as bad as a lot of it sounded (adn not in an interesting way) the pitch shift sounded bad in a really great way.  Never ended up doing it, though, the optical expression pedal turned out to be more hassle than it was worth.

Honestly, I've got a soft spot for the reverbs in the late 80s and early 90s Digitech guitar multifx units, RP-1 era. I think like everything 90s they've started to get a little less cheap, there was a time not that long ago when it seemed like everyone I knew had one or two of their rack units and nobody had paid a cent for them.  The bypass always sounded terrible though.

Edited by RSP

I've always wanted a monotribe just to make noise swells and transition fx. Plus I love the aesthetic.

for the first 5ish years of my current project I never had a computer, I used a Zoom MRS1608 and it was wicked. Lots and lots of limitation but it was really fun. A few people I knew who were into recording, had studio's commented on how good the effects sounded on my stuff especially the reverb and were surprised when I told them. They were actually surprisingly good especially now in hindsight after changing to logic and being far from impressed by the effects and having tried many effects units since.

Haven't really messed with their digital stuff but Zoom's short lived line of analog guitar pedals was fantastic (at least the ones I've tried).  I've had this one since the mid 2000s and it sounds great on everything I've put through it.  I think they're generally an underrated company because of their reputation for budget multifx pedals.

I've got the PD, UF, and TM, though I never picked up the Hyper Lead (one day I'll complete the set!) and love them all for varying reasons. PD you've got is the best of the bunch no doubt, TM and UF can get fucking wild though. I've had a few of their multifx pedals that were often spotty and build quality was usually shit, but all had some bits of magic in them.

Yeah, an old roommategave me one of their cheapes multifx and I was going to rehouse it for a while because as bad as a lot of it sounded (adn not in an interesting way) the pitch shift sounded bad in a really great way.  Never ended up doing it, though, the optical expression pedal turned out to be more hassle than it was worth.

Honestly, I've got a soft spot for the reverbs in the late 80s and early 90s Digitech guitar multifx units, RP-1 era. I think like everything 90s they've started to get a little less cheap, there was a time not that long ago when it seemed like everyone I knew had one or two of their rack units and nobody had paid a cent for them.  The bypass always sounded terrible though.

Yeah the pitch shifting abilities blew my mind when I was 16, but they're still interesting for sure. There's another effect many of those old Zoom multi pedals did that was really unique, but I won't name names as to not give away any secrets  :fear: I'd love to revisit some of those old Boss/Digitech/etc. multifx pedals. One day...

Hey! This zoom pedal seems to be great alternative to half-rack and 19inch mulitifx units... Great price too! Maybe this is the one!

Yeah! Those videos you posted and some others I saw were all pretty solid stuff, sounds like a great deal for the price of it.

One review in particular piqued my interest with this little tidbit 

Some will not like this pedal because it’s digital and there is a known DSP error if too many resource intensive effects are used at once.

so if you get it, I want to hear if this is an interesting error or it just turns to pure shit.  :biggrin:

while watching mika vainio's show on youtube i saw these two machines/efx but i don't know which are they so can't someone pls identify them pls? thnx!

image.jpg

image.jpg

1_2.jpg

Edited by xox

Yeah the pitch shifting abilities blew my mind when I was 16, but they're still interesting for sure. There's another effect many of those old Zoom multi pedals did that was really unique, but I won't name names as to not give away any secrets  :fear: I'd love to revisit some of those old Boss/Digitech/etc. multifx pedals. One day...

Check out the Digitech Vocalist stuff if you get a chance.  I just passed the old Midi Vocalist on to a friend to fund a JV-1080because I wasn't suing it enough but it's really great for a certain kind of lo-fi, glitchy harmonizing and it's so basic in terms of interface that nobody really seems to want them (although they're pretty rare I think).  Most of the "intelligent" features are stripped out but that's fine because they're crap and all you want it for is the "vocoder" mode that detects the pitch of an incoming monophonic signal (well, tries to) and lets you pitch shift up to 5 voices relative to the original from a MIDI keyboard.  The whole thing is optimized for voice and when you feed other sounds into it you end up with this kind of hazy, ambient digital pad effect (or at least that's what I used it for) that sounds really distinctive.  Only down side is if it can't detect the pitch of the input signal it just mutes instead of glitching, but other than that it's pretty usable and a really unique sounding box.  I used to record single note guitar swells into a simple looper until I had one continuous drone, then run that into the MIDI Vocalist, turn the dry signal all the way down, and play slow pads on a MIDI keyboard.  Sounded great but I never really made any good recordings with it to share, unfortunately.

t8hp2lb3rg3ewxdeuahx.jpg

All the other, fancier Vocalist units just have more features for automatic harmonizing and or improved tracking and pitch shifting, and for misusing the thing all of that is either unnecessary or detrimental in my opinion.  I'd still get the entry level MIDI Vocalist if I ever wanted another one (not likely, since it's very much a one-trick pony, but it's a pretty good trick).

Edited by RSP

Oto biscuit and vermona-something

heh yes, thnx! ....vermona mono lancet 

damn this biscuit is great but exxxxxxpensive! ...and soldout :)

Edited by xox

I got a MS-50G (pic is in studio pics), it's basically the same as the CDR but with a bit more effects (including amp models and distortion/fuzz) and a mono input. They're nice little boxes, you can chain 6 effects and most of them are pretty lush, also lots of delays/reverbs with effects in the feedback loop, and stuff like that.

^^ do you know how good are distortion/fuzz effects? ever heard it?

i'm planing to use it on md and mnm and i want something extreme if needed, like smashing the stereo output of md. instant fun! :)

edit. a wait!!! the ms-50g has distortion and fuzz? sorry... :facepalm ok...so, how good are they?

Edited by xox

Been watching through a few reviews and demos of the Monologue lately because why not lust when I have no money...

Came across this series by Marc Doty going pretty in depth with the full functionality. This video in particular just sounds fucking great. Insane sounds that have a LOT of usable spots within them, very strong little machine for the price.

The monologue is dope... I think it's capable of being a future 303. Very live tweakable and relatively easy to create something weird.

Made this little jam with a monologue, volca bass/keys and 606. Should have used it a lot more.

https://soundcloud.com/606303/binman-is-a-sinman

^^ do you know how good are distortion/fuzz effects? ever heard it?

i'm planing to use it on md and mnm and i want something extreme if needed, like smashing the stereo output of md. instant fun! :)

edit. a wait!!! the ms-50g has distortion and fuzz? sorry... :facepalm ok...so, how good are they?

They're good IMO, can get quite aggressive sounding, which is a bit too much for me and my synths most of the time, but they do slight drives nicely, too.

You can see a full list of the effects here, a lot of them are imitations of existing pedals.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_MS-50G_FX-list_v3.pdf

The monologue is dope... I think it's capable of being a future 303. Very live tweakable and relatively easy to create something weird.

Made this little jam with a monologue, volca bass/keys and 606. Should have used it a lot more.

god damnit, I'm so close to getting one, I saw one in a store the other day and was amazed at how tiny they are!

Well now, that is interesting. Does it come with that little thing that makes the kick drum sound?

* nevermind, answered my own question with a google search. 

Edited by Auditor

seriously, FUCK youtube embedding fucking fucks sake fuck

edit:

Well now, that is interesting. Does it come with that little thing that makes the kick drum sound?

* nevermind, answered my own question with a google search.

aye, should put up their site

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=field-kit

Edited by MIXL2

The Field Kit is one of the most interesting modular things I've seen in a while, I wish you hadn't reminded me that they exist because I'm on a strict "no more gear" diet for now (other than, like, trades or free stuff of course).

It looks like it's all pretty simple stuff electronically speaking, but having it all in such a compact, well thought out little box would be wonderful.

Edited by RSP

Good sounds there for sure. The live tweakability is certainly a big plus for it. I mean, I can get some crazier and stronger sounds from my Evolver or Pulse 2, but I've often gotta do some digging to do so. This little beast seems like a unique, tight, versatile, machine.

Yeah you fuckers are giving me some serious monologue lust all of a sudden. I didn't realize it could run on batteries. I also didn't realize it could make such ridiculous sounds. FUCK.

hehe sorry  :biggrin:

Edited by auxien

Good sounds there for sure. The live tweakability is certainly a big plus for it. I mean, I can get some crazier and stronger sounds from my Evolver or Pulse 2, but I've often gotta do some digging to do so. This little beast seems like a unique, tight, versatile, machine.

Yeah you fuckers are giving me some serious monologue lust all of a sudden. I didn't realize it could run on batteries. I also didn't realize it could make such ridiculous sounds. FUCK.

hehe sorry
I have been thinking of getting a proper mono/poly synth for a long, long time.. waiting for the right thing to come along, the monologue sure looks sweet, but I think the dreadbox erebus is more up my street (since I have a couple of modular bits..)

if I could just blast 1k tho, id definitly go for this beautiful beast:

abyss-top.jpg

MIXL just fashion your own mono from a tiny piston and a guitar string or something with your KOMA Field Kit ;) that thing does look fun btw

The Dreadbox stuff always have such great sounds, but they're definitely not cheap, and to me they seem sort of designed for big ambient/lead/droning sorts of tones. Which, I love those sounds, and Abyss/Nyx/Erebus are all beautiful machines for that...but I'm way too into being able to recall patches on the fly and really modulate/fuck with the sounds in multiple ways. Dreadbox is going for an old school straightforward and distinct sort of sound, which is great. Just not for me at the prices they cost for how much I'd actually use them.