IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

I can't believe this only took a week to get to me from USA.. I've had things take longer when sent through the Australian postal system.. feels a lot more solid and even smaller than I expected!

20292634_651311508391737_108307907677327

ha yeah that's one of the videos that made me want it, even though his orgasmic cries are a bit much lol

I stumbled across the krell patch on my own, and just stood there in awe of it for a few minutes, pretty nice

It cost me $640AU including shipping, I ordered it on ebay using a 10% off discount code and saved nearly $150 off the price that the Australian distributor is selling them for.

Guest Chesney

Crazy, nice one. Do post some random sounds for us.

I put myself on a years waiting list for this, not sure why but It really punched me in the ovaries for some reason.

ohh I remember seeing that.. sounds insane!

Yeah, that thing sound fantastic, I'd never heard of it before!

It actually kind of reminds me of this stuff I got by running a CZ-101 through a bunch of parallel thru machines in the octatrack at the show I played a few weeks ago, but way lusher.

If I had an unlimited gear budget that thing would be right near the top of the list now for sure.  That and a Dreadbox Abyss.

Erica Black Wavetable VCO

The motherfucker has my gas for about 5 months now. There is a deal atm where its 15% off. I hate my life.

Crazy, nice one. Do post some random sounds for us.

I put myself on a years waiting list for this, not sure why but It really punched me in the ovaries for some reason.

this is one of the best, if not the best, drone machine i've seen so far!

Erica Black Wavetable VCO

The motherfucker has my gas for about 5 months now. There is a deal atm where its 15% off. I hate my life.

no wonder! that thing is crazy! i'm afraid that modular is the way to go but that trip is too expensive for me atm

My lust has chilled quite a bit. I dusted off LGPT and it never ceases to amaze me how nutty you can get with that thing. So now I just wanna do noisy rhythmic DUDE jams and come up with more sample fodder because I have fun samplers coming out of my ears.

So I'm not officially in the market for any new gear under normal circumstances, but a friend of mine has a line on a potentially VERY cheap Korg Poly6 or MonoPoly (he isn't sure yet which it is, but whatever, either would be pretty amazing to have around) so if it's not in unsalvageable condition because of a leaking battery Christmas might come early for me this year.

To counteract the GAS from all these little and nice mini-modular noise boxes I ended up ordering an MPK mini last week, which I then hooked up to my Raspberry Pi and my bikeshedded Pure Data implementation of a MicroBrute. I got this weird idea that I don't actually have to spend money on modular gear if I just build the stuff in PD.. of course it won't sound anything like the same thing, but it's great as a mental exercise and probably it will still sound good. I'm already excited about building some step-sequencer to control with the akai's 8 knobs, random generators and midi mangling.

I have to say I am really happy with the Akai.. 2 years ago I was looking for a small midi keyboard and I ended up getting a M-Audio Air32 (or whatever it's called), which is a total and utter piece of flimsy shit compared to the Akai and I wish I could go back in time to tell my dumbass self not to get it. The MIDI mappings and features are so nicely thought out and usable already without having to code up scripts for paging in order to actually use more than 8 parameters at a time. And the fact that it has an arpeggiator which can receive MIDI clock is perfect for some very simple fucking around. It's got some software to go with it as well, but I don't really care about that stuff (besides the MPC essentials, which might be a good way to try the fabled "MPC workflow"?).

I recorded some experimentation too if anyone's interested:

https://clyp.it/xte2ppjy

Sounds great! Reminds me of a CS01 or something. Has that same crunchy quality that I haven't heard in many other synths.

Care to share your patch? I really should get back into pd programming. I want to start building some sequencers/LFOs/envelopes/signal routers to control the 0-coast but am not sure if I should try pd+raspberry pi, or use the teensy 3.2 I have lying around, or the older arduino I also have, or get an axoloti so it has more direct access to the in/out pins via a pd-like interface.. I have trouble with arduino/teensy programming as I have a hard time figuring out what to work on first.

Sounds great! Reminds me of a CS01 or something. Has that same crunchy quality that I haven't heard in many other synths.

Care to share your patch? I really should get back into pd programming. I want to start building some sequencers/LFOs/envelopes/signal routers to control the 0-coast but am not sure if I should try pd+raspberry pi, or use the teensy 3.2 I have lying around, or the older arduino I also have, or get an axoloti so it has more direct access to the in/out pins via a pd-like interface.. I have trouble with arduino/teensy programming as I have a hard time figuring out what to work on first.

Sure, go ahead. I have an idea to publish the whole thing once I feel it's usable enough so that people can pick it up and modify without too much hassle.

Edit: actually forgot to attach. :)

bikeshed-brute.zip

Edited by thawkins

Even though I promised myself I wasn't going to spend money on modules any more this year, I did jump @ the eurorack Benjolin PCB group buy and dropped the cash for 2 boards and I'm talking with Magpie Modular for a set of panels while simultaneously getting myself on the Pusherman PCB/Panel group buy for a few other PCB/Panel sets  :whistling:

Edited by hautlle

I really shouldn't have watched that Make Noise Morphagene video lastnight.

Having said that, the octatrack can essentially do everything it does.

Though, it does raise a point, I think all of my future gear purchases should be weirder stuff, from smaller manufacturers etc.. I've got enough fkn subtractive synths.

Current GAS (kinda?) is for the knowledge to create a Teensy-based CV/gate sequencer. Elektron/nanoloop style, maybe with 1 or 2 gate outs and 4+ CV outs. I could make it in pd for raspberry pi but I'd need to figure out how to address the GPIO pins.. maybe I'll give that a go.. or just give up and get an axoloti lol

Though, it does raise a point, I think all of my future gear purchases should be weirder stuff, from smaller manufacturers etc.. I've got enough fkn subtractive synths.

Current GAS (kinda?) is for the knowledge to create a Teensy-based CV/gate sequencer. Elektron/nanoloop style, maybe with 1 or 2 gate outs and 4+ CV outs. I could make it in pd for raspberry pi but I'd need to figure out how to address the GPIO pins.. maybe I'll give that a go.. or just give up and get an axoloti lol

Have a look at the open-source eurorack module Ornament & Crime for inspiration re. a Teensy CV sequencer/generator

Wait, it's possible to send CV from the GPIO outs on the Raspberry Pi?!

The GPIO documentation seems to show that there's 5V, 3.3V pins, ground and I/O pins, but it says that the I/O pins are momentary. I'm wracking what little I know about electrics stuff and it kind of seems that it might be possible with some soldering. Going to google some stuff now, but if it's really possible, then *this changes everything*!