IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

wow I'm jealous, I love that vermona sound!!! Those are cool man.

I think I'm going to buy an analog 4, I found a used one for $600 today, prices are getting way too cheap for me to ignore. And to think I almost bought a roland SE-02!

Guest Chesney

Exactly what I expect to hear from it to be honest. Warm, round, silky, classy sounding matches exactly with the workmanship.

Nice one.

wow I'm jealous, I love that vermona sound!!! Those are cool man.

I think I'm going to buy an analog 4, I found a used one for $600 today, prices are getting way too cheap for me to ignore. And to think I almost bought a roland SE-02!

Wow, that IS a good price.

I was in Williamsburg and went to Control (small music shop), where Max Ravitz aka Patricia works. Walked in and he was jamming on a 5 row eurorack rig. Never been into modular but I asked some questions about sequencing in difference scales and that seemed to pique his interest. 30 minutes later we were playing a patch he made based on my requests, then he went in the back and I tweaked it for about ten minutes and got a pretty good recording.

Seeing someone work who has a more melodic sensibility like I do work on a small modular patch actually has me considering trying to build a small rig if I get some money some day. The patch I was using would have fit in one row, and I don't care about using the cheapest modules, tho the circadian rhythm sure is nice.

Edited by sheathe

op-z was initially slated for september release. no new news in months. i'm sure it's been pushed back but that's basically my gas

well that and a cheap octa or rytm mk1 and a heat

and... and... 

oh fucking speak of the devil. i literally pulled up the site immediately after posting that and they just updated the site from "sept 17" to "late 2017"

https://teenageengineering.com/products/op-z_preview

will be surprised if i get one before year's end

I was in Williamsburg and went to Control (small music shop), where Max Ravitz aka Patricia works. Walked in and he was jamming on a 5 row eurorack rig. Never been into modular but I asked some questions about sequencing in difference scales and that seemed to pique his interest. 30 minutes later we were playing a patch he made based on my requests, then he went in the back and I tweaked it for about ten minutes and got a pretty good recording.

Would love to read more about it! Not a modular-head myself, but I bet it could lead to some nice Numerology experiments.

Yes, 600 dollars is quite cheap and the a4 is head and shoulders above the se02

it's not that crazy considering the NEW price at the moment is 829 for the MK1 (sweetwater and guitarcenter, for example). It makes sense that used prices are going to fall, at least right now.

Damn that A4 price is tempting. Not really the type of thing I'm trying to work with at the moment but it seems like a very useful tool for modular. Also it seems to be a lot like an analog Nord Lead 1, in terms of voice architecture, polyphony, and drum mode, but with a sequencer and CV outputs. At the current price, that's a lot of bang for buck.

I'm proud of myself - this weekend I went close to walking distance from a shop where used modular synths are legally being sold at good prices (including a 0-coast and Moog Mother), and while I did check out the prices online before going, I managed to resist the urge of buying anything. Instead I will spend time instead to add a couple of new features to my Live template.

By the way, I also saw something called Roli Blocks. What's the deal with that? Seems like really overpriced control surfaces for a tablet or something? The shop had a demo setup, but it only made sound through the tablet's own speakers so I couldn't really understand what was going on because of all the ambient noise.

Yeah they're just controllers that pair with Roli's iOS apps, but apparently can be used with anything that can work with USB or bluetooth MIDI, which may be interesting for reaktor patches.

Yeah they're just controllers that pair with Roli's iOS apps, but apparently can be used with anything that can work with USB or bluetooth MIDI, which may be interesting for reaktor patches.

This got me thinking about Android and MIDI now. I've noticed my phone at least advertises that it's got a "Send MIDI" mode when it's connected to the computer using an USB cable. Why is that there are no apps for actually using this feature? Seems like sending MIDI over USB might have less latency than relying on OSC over WiFi or whatever it seems to be the most popular way to do it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't know how to search the Play Store for apps that specifically have MIDI over USB.

Guest Chesney

Try one out before you buy!

I was convinced I NEEDED a Prophet 6 and when borrowed one for a month, I felt pretty Meh about it.

Granted, the 12 has lots more going for it aside from analogue sound. DSI miss the point when doing all analogue I think.

Guest Chesney

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's fucking lovely but for me, it didn't have what I wanted soundwise. If I was going to spend 2k+ on a synth it would need to sound inspiring off the bat. This didn't until you really got deep and turned the fx on.

Im definitively more an OB 6 kind of guy anyway.

Tried both Prophet 6 and OB 6 at shop and spent 3 times more times on the OB and enjoyed it a lot more.

Its amazing.

But these are expensive machine....

I'll keep playing with my Tetra until i win the lottery.

What kind of stuff are you guys making with these lush analog polysynths? I sold my JX8P because all I ever used it for were cosmic pads lol. Not quite in the same league as an OB-6, but whenever I hear "analog poly" I always think synthwave or cosmic pads..