Like, if America gov't is alleged to have done something bad:

can you picture the Greenwald crew being like "well hold on now, let's wait 'til all the evidence is in"...?

Or would it be more like "lol not surprised"...?

Okay, now let's replace "American gov't" with "Russian gov't"

Say Russia is alleged to have done something bad:

which of those two (types of) responses do you see virtually 100% of the time from them?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, American journos are also a lot more likely to have reliable sources in/on/about the American government.

also, being american they likely 'know' their country better than russia so are more likely to have some cynicism embedded.. which probably does mean some bias but splitting hairs and getting into psychology here or something.  a russian guy i know is a recent immigrant to america.. though now moved to japan and he said they all knew/know putin is a shady fucker long before he essentially became president for life and they knew he was enriching himself and his friends but they were indifferent until the economy got shitty and life in general became unstable there for a time.. so they started paying more attention and letting less slide but now it seems more indifference is prevalent and there are younger people who are getting more nationalistic and thinking trump is a great guy because he 'wants goo relations with russia" and obama is a bad guy because he "talks tough about sanctions" etc. 

i'm split on 'the intercept' and greenwald and friends over there.. though i think jeremy scahill is pretty awesome. his "Dirty wars" documentary is pretty amazing. i assume the book is as well. if you haven't seen the doc it's worth a watch. he reported on some stuff that just sounded unreal and no way the USA army was guilty of.. until he went an interviewed the villagers and then the army confessed and admitted what they'd done... 

anyway.. i think it's good they're in the conversation and publishing things but should be treated with scrutiny like the NY Times or Washington post etc.. 

I mean, American journos are also a lot more likely to have reliable sources in/on/about the American government.

Yeah totally

For instance, when both JE and his sister were espousing 9/11 Trutherism

They simply had information we didn't

(Nevermind that they both quietly backpedalled, and now JE claims he was merely skeptical of the official story)

I don't know why folks wanna rationalize this

It's okay to admit people we like aren't perfect

Yeah totally

For instance, when both JE and his sister were espousing 9/11 Trutherism

They simply had information we didn't

(Nevermind that they both quietly backpedalled, and now JE claims he was merely skeptical of the official story)

I don't know why folks wanna rationalize this

It's okay to admit people we like aren't perfect

1. I was talking about greenwald and co., not the Martins.

2. I'm not rationalizing anything. If a journalist's area of expertise is the US, I don't particularly want him/her opining on Russia. That's what Russian journalists(rip)/Russia experts are for.

3. Acknowledging a journalist's shortcomings/limitations are part of the reason I don't want them overreaching. Like, I'm a big fan of scahill, but his patch is US national security, not the FSB.

also, being american they likely 'know' their country better than russia so are more likely to have some cynicism embedded.. which probably does mean some bias but splitting hairs and getting into psychology here or something. a russian guy i know is a recent immigrant to america.. though now moved to japan and he said they all knew/know putin is a shady fucker long before he essentially became president for life and they knew he was enriching himself and his friends but they were indifferent until the economy got shitty and life in general became unstable there for a time.. so they started paying more attention and letting less slide but now it seems more indifference is prevalent and there are younger people who are getting more nationalistic and thinking trump is a great guy because he 'wants goo relations with russia" and obama is a bad guy because he "talks tough about sanctions" etc.

i'm split on 'the intercept' and greenwald and friends over there.. though i think jeremy scahill is pretty awesome. his "Dirty wars" documentary is pretty amazing. i assume the book is as well. if you haven't seen the doc it's worth a watch. he reported on some stuff that just sounded unreal and no way the USA army was guilty of.. until he went an interviewed the villagers and then the army confessed and admitted what they'd done...

anyway.. i think it's good they're in the conversation and publishing things but should be treated with scrutiny like the NY Times or Washington post etc..

I think this bias comes from a genuinely good place

I think Greenwald is a sold journalist all things considered

And those folks are especially keen to avoid 'Iraq has WMDs' pt 2: electric boogaloo

And general US gov't evil

(And rightly fucking so)

But if you push that skepticism pedal to the metal

You get some weird results

(For example, you get journalists always giving the benefit of the doubt to a dude who regularly kills journalists)

I think this bias comes from a genuinely good place

I think Greenwald is a sold journalist all things considered

And those folks are especially keen to avoid 'Iraq has WMDs' pt 2: electric boogaloo

And general US gov't evil

(And rightly fucking so)

But if you push that skepticism pedal to the metal

You get some weird results

(For example, you get journalists always giving the benefit of the doubt to a dude who regularly kills journalists)

lyrical gangster

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus fuck - "why has no one investigated?" is his big investigative query?

Maybe because law enforcement agencies don't willingly give up information about investigations? FOIA that shit if you really want to know.

And he said that seconds after mentioning someone was actually sentenced...(dennis hestert) so there was no investigation... hmmmm yeah not so sure about that

Archived