IGNORED

2016 Album of the Year nominations

usagi

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously stop listing every single album yall have heard this year. it makes it really hard to wither it down to our top picks. i refuse to believe people can really think 30+ releases deserve to be the top. 

ps if i have to pick just one it's blank banshee - mega hands down. 

some people just love that music...

jenny hval - blood bitch

kendrick lamar - untitled unmastered

andy stott - too many voices

machinedrum - human energy (sorry, i love it)

and i'll second kuwait paragraphic - gravity [...]

Top 10 (in no order)

1991-No more dreams

Huerco S-For those...

David Bowie-Blackstar

Nick Cave-Skeleton Tree

Swans-The Glowing Man

Car Seat Headres-Teens of Denial

Plaid-The Digging Remedy

Tim Hecker-Love Streams

Loscil-Monument Builders

Whitney-Light Upon the Lake

10 honorable mentions

Avalanches, Angel Olsen, CassMcCombs, Leithauser, Biosphere, 2814, Radiohead, Kuedo, Bon Iver, Konx Om Pax

I've got about 80ish things that I'd say are great and worth hearing out of 274 total so far.  there was a lot of good stuff this year.

I feel like i'm looking at something I shouldn't be looking at. Like, it's too personal or something haha. Awesome spreadsheet tho, you do this all by hand?

thanks! it's mostly all by hand, I use excel for work so I'd wanted to learn a bit more about formulas so the number stuff is mostly all calculated but names and dates and whether its a first listen are entered by hand.

seriously stop listing every single album yall have heard this year. it makes it really hard to wither it down to our top picks. i refuse to believe people can really think 30+ releases deserve to be the top. 

ps if i have to pick just one it's blank banshee - mega hands down. 

I got mine narrowed to a top 25 and I still feel like I'm leaving things out. There's a lot of good music out there dogg. My honorable mentions list is like 50 deep.

I don't think I had this on either list, it's a odd format anyway, but nonetheless a favorite release of mine.

Okinawa Adventure Team c30 cassette

On Spotify too. 30 minutes of traditional Ryukyu music played. You can hear family and friends chatting between songs, it's a nice fun set of live recordings.

No particular order:

36 - The Infinity Room

TM404 - Acidub

Omar-S - The Best!

Steve Hauschildt - Strands

Crooked Man - Crooked Man

Daughter - Not to Disappear (sorry!)

Mary Lattimore - At the Dam

John Beltran - Everything at Once

Franz Kirman - Elysian Park

Shifted - Appropriation Stories

Odd Nosdam - Sisters

Scott Hirsch - Blue Rider Songs

Ulrich Schnauss - No Further Ahead Than Today

William Tyler - Modern Country

DIIV - Is The Is Are

Huerco S. - For Those Of You Who Never Have And Also Those Who Have

Steve Gunn - Eyes On The Lines

Jeff Parker - The New Breed

Gah, I've been so out of music this year, I don't know any of these albums and I barely have any that I can choose. Maybe none; every album I'm looking at is from late 2015. Is GFOTY's Dog Food an EP? I got into PC music this year, but it's mostly EPs from before 2016. I'm sure as hell not putting Painting With on my top albums. Maybe Splendor and Misery by CLIPPING? But I didn't even love that album. Man, 2016 has been fucked for me as far as music goes. Someone message me the albums I should listen to from this year, this list is overwhelming.

Gah, I've been so out of music this year, I don't know any of these albums and I barely have any that I can choose. Maybe none; every album I'm looking at is from late 2015. Is GFOTY's Dog Food an EP? I got into PC music this year, but it's mostly EPs from before 2016. I'm sure as hell not putting Painting With on my top albums. Maybe Splendor and Misery by CLIPPING? But I didn't even love that album. Man, 2016 has been fucked for me as far as music goes. Someone message me the albums I should listen to from this year, this list is overwhelming.

I felt the same way from 2011-2015. Most of my listening was using best of year lists, not from helping make them. I was helped a lot this year from spotify recs and people here and IRL telling me about stuff.

Ironically I discovered a lot of stuff through watmmers like you. I made a playlist that might be helpful to skim. I posted it earlier I think. I can pm you it. 

A list of albums I didn't like this year.

•           
  •      
  •     
  •        
  •          
  •         
  •             
  •              

In no order. Fav albums and eps

Various - Touched 3

36 - The Infinity Room

RX 101 - Like Yesterday