IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

Yeah at this point im pretty much tired of labels and categories and micro this, post-that, retro this, next level future that. I mean fuck me, does it get tiring. Just get lost and/or dance to good music and share it away. Thats it. Fuck all the pretenses.

Ps i say this now, 99% chance this next week ill be posting about genres, trends, labels etc.

Aren't you someone who found a decent amount of success joining a creatively narrow microgenre?  Vaporwave is like 98% pretense.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah at this point im pretty much tired of labels and categories and micro this, post-that, retro this, next level future that. I mean fuck me, does it get tiring. Just get lost and/or dance to good music and share it away. Thats it. Fuck all the pretenses.

Ps i say this now, 99% chance this next week ill be posting about genres, trends, labels etc.

Aren't you someone who found a decent amount of success joining a creatively narrow microgenre? Vaporwave is like 98% pretense.

Hehe indeed. Thats why i sometimes need to vent about all these "waves".. What better place than in the friendly neighboring hipster house thread to do that? :D

Also its only a fraction of the projects/aliases i have, but i will say its easily the most fun. Liberating, because i dont have to be afraid to be silly, which kind of was what the donovan thing was to begin with. So i mean yeah vaporwave is for sure 98% pretense, but its also 98% forgettable meaningless and wacky and it knows it is, which is why i think it gets a pass. I also wouldnt call it narrow by any means.. Theres certainly lots of diversity among the range of sounds and styles.. If looking at just its roman busts and az iced tea memes, yes youll think of it as narrow, but theres more to explore with it.

Aren't you someone who found a decent amount of success joining a creatively narrow microgenre?  Vaporwave is like 98% pretense.

>implying that vaporwave is creatively narrow

definitely not.. 

my first response ill say was agreeing on a surface level and self deprecating, like yeah people who pride themselves on "listeners of serious music" will never see past how they see vaporwave as a meme anyway, so it's often a useless argument, so to that, "hehe yup silly old vaporwave", but i think anyone that doesn't by now see that the genre is much more important than floral shop jokes hasn't looked past the very surface. on the other side, there is i think for anyone in a specific community/subgenre/"scene" whether that's deep house, vaporwave, goth, what have you, there's always going to be an agitation with some of the perceived check-listed mores of that community/genre, and the endless obsession with what categorizes as the genre or not. the tags, oh the tags. that all said, i've found myself loving vaporwave and associated styles as much as i found myself loving punk rock back in high school. also, i hope no one mistake's what i refer to as silliness and meaninglessness as void of legitimacy or importance as a genre/art movement. the anonymity, the over-the-topness, the ego-less, the obscure, the often effortless aspects of the genre are part of what makes it so magical. someone said it really well once, when they said vaporwave is more an approach than a sound. my exercise of corporate stock music/elevator ranges from serious ambition in terms of musical value/quality in a certain portion of my work, all the way to a dadaist, stream of conscious exploration into kitsch, environments, eras, highly specific concepts, and other non-musical qualities from a place of playfulness. in those cases, the musical uniqueness or standards come 2nd, while the inspiration/concept comes first. but that's only because elevator music is meaningless, vapid, drab and corny. vaporwave, for me, or at least with my own project, it's often about those things, and about embracing the mundane, the plain, the drab, the disposable, and making it into something thoughtful or fun. but if the music vibes with people (or me) in the process, that's an added bonus :) in some of the other dh releases yes, i do focus on the music / grooves first. 

Got genuine idea for a house subgenre, working name is Eurovision house. I can feel elements of music being rejected and forgotten from central and eastern Europe replaced by nice electro music and sounds that more accurately reflect life. These traditional sounds, tho, went thru machine removed meat process by some EDM festival of hired sluts to attract punters music, and workforce motivating radio tunes,fairground bangers..that fizzled out maybe. Now scrape up those bits to repurpose as a wholesome new house genre..

Haha cute thought. Im interested in the creation of a sub genre of intentionally generic dance music of no specific style (maybe it could be in the form of like freestyle mega mixes of the late 80s.. Or like a really bland fusion of techno / house / trance lol all the same 909 patterns and builds etc, totally lacking uniqueness or any signature elements. It cant be minimal tech or house though cuz thats already a thing. It should have vox mostly or at least a few samples.

The subgenre I'm proposing might have actually existed in 2008 but I can't remember it properly, nor any labels or artists related to it, still authentically pikey back then. I hate the 80s megamix format but maybe combine it with Scandinavian disco style 45 min crossfades. What I'm getting at would completely strip 'trance' from but maybe insert 'ukg' in that space... Shuffled beats m8

The subgenre I'm proposing might have actually existed in 2008 but I can't remember it properly, nor any labels or artists related to it, still authentically pikey back then. I hate the 80s megamix format but maybe combine it with Scandinavian disco style 45 min crossfades. What I'm getting at would completely strip 'trance' from but maybe insert 'ukg' in that space... Shuffled beats m8

haha nice! yeah i used to not like those megamix formats either, but lately have been digging the nostalgia of them and how they can be fun. 

oh fuck me, here we go.. this can be a start to the "generic dance" subgenre! .. its a little too specific, but its a good start lol

im slipping off topic here a bit, but this one's actually kinda good lol

The best is actually when they throw the word dance in the title too, as if "dance" is a another subgenre of dance lol

like this title i just saw on yt:

"Techno House Dance Trance mix 2013 (HD 1080p)" 

I guess just apply other disaplines like dozens of minutes of crossfades, from trance maybe use the very long 909 snare build-up but less trance, more boogey... More mulled wine vibes damn Xmas vibes take over thoughts

I guess just apply other disaplines like dozens of minutes of crossfades, from trance maybe use the very long 909 snare build-up but less trance, more boogey... More mulled wine vibes damn Xmas vibes take over thoughts

Haha exactly, and itll be sounds and mixing techniques to where its hard to tell whether its from 98 or 2011. Just straightforward ssl processed sounding tried and true 909 loops and all the lexicon verb and all that.. Prob some virus ti blips and sawtooth basses etc.

This what I'm getting at really .. I made with phone sounds shit. Eurovision house bot quite it, like low ranking Romanian entry from '98. Actually, I saw video of like, think it was Romanians fuckin getting mad for it some family party with dude playing lead instrument: an android phone. Was lush .. maybe trying get to something like that

Edit

Homeless House almost seems to obvious, traveller house.. static house? UKCaravan

Trailer Park.. house

Fuck can't find the right way words

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Temporary House!

Archived