IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

is there a name for this? distorted kicks and shuffley loops. pretty bland deep house pads, samples of 90s tv shows or hip hop vocals. slav seems to upload loads of this

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ron perlmans son makes lo-fi house that sounds like all that in the OP.

also L.I.E.S., hothausrecs, all the same stuff, it all sounds alright, which is almost worse than releasing shit no one likes. 

edit: as well as "DJ Seinfeld' there is also a guy who releases under 'Ross From Friends' hahaha

Think it's just lo-fi house/techno, i would say stylistically it's an echo of Detroit house. It deliberately lacks a face unlike those mad Detroitians. So it's enjoyable, but nothing to write home about, especially if it happens so that you already reside home

Think it's just lo-fi house/techno, i would say stylistically it's an echo of Detroit house. It deliberately lacks a face unlike those mad Detroitians.

i agree that there's no distinctive style that warrants a genre name, but it's coming from a different context than classic detroit house. like that ross from friends (lol) video slacker posted, there the vapourwave influence is quite obvious.

i guess this has been going on for a while now, maybe beginning of 2016, but i'm genuinely surprised that a lot of hip tumblr sadboii dudes are now making mellow lofi house. and i guess the emtpiness / fakeness of it all is what i kind of dig. like, everybody downloading the same x0x sample packs and putting it through foldback distortion, adding background noise etc. but not to make it seem authentic or anything. a bit like a full reverse of pc music

along with the out of the label L.I.E.S. mentioned earlier, most of what is on 100% silk fits the category I suppose, along with a lot of stuff on 1080p

though I'm a sucker personally for all of that stuff. Opal Tapes has a lo-fi sound too but that's mostly techno and darker releases in general

I like this genre.

I think a more accurate name for it as said above is Lo-Fi house. Could be wrong but seems like a lot of it is coming out of Russia, or it could just be that the Aesthetic is faux Russian. Just like Vaporwave is kinda of Faux Japanese. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuWndg7d9c

certainly puts me to sleep!

it's enjoyable, but nothing to write home about

i kind of dig

haha this isn't half bad TBH

it all sounds alright, which is almost worse than releasing shit no one likes. 

alright, so lets call it "meh house"

thanks digman, will check these out later

I like this genre.

I think a more accurate name for it as said above is Lo-Fi house. Could be wrong but seems like a lot of it is coming out of Russia, or it could just be that the Aesthetic is faux Russian. Just like Vaporwave is kinda of Faux Japanese. 

A lot of good stuff comes out of Russia lately in niche genres: grime, dubstep/future garage, footwork, vaporwave, beat music etc. Actually all of these are represented all of the world lately, it's a beautiful side of social media imo. Lo-fi house as we'll call it is just another example.

Agreed on the vaporwave angle though, I don't think it's necessarily faux Japanese but the same ethos of vaporwave to re-visit media from the late 80's / early 90s that quickly became dated, cheesy, and deemed forgettable. A lot of that happens to be Japanese influenced (as they were economically and culturally dominant and seen as futuristic at the time) but not exclusively so. 

a lot of hip tumblr sadboii dudes are now making mellow lofi house. and i guess the emtpiness / fakeness of it all is what i kind of dig. like, everybody downloading the same x0x sample packs and putting it through foldback distortion, adding background noise etc. but not to make it seem authentic or anything. a bit like a full reverse of pc music

jep lol

along with the out of the label L.I.E.S. mentioned earlier, most of what is on 100% silk fits the category I suppose, along with a lot of stuff on 1080p

If this is what we're calling all the Silk and 1080p releases then sign me up, those are two of my favorite labels right now hah.

certainly puts me to sleep!

it's enjoyable, but nothing to write home about

i kind of dig

haha this isn't half bad TBH

it all sounds alright, which is almost worse than releasing shit no one likes. 

alright, so lets call it "meh house"

thanks digman, will check these out later

house is already meh, so 'meh house' is what, 'meh hut', 'meh shack'. Maybe call the genre tent. Or more accurately, tent you took to the festival that your mate spewed in that you forgot about until you re-erected it at the next event.

house is already meh

calling an entire broad genre like that "meh" is ridiculous, even if much of it is mediocre or crap. that's what snobbery and music discussion forums are for after all. 

house is already meh

calling an entire broad genre like that "meh" is ridiculous,

You're not the boss of me. ;-p And this thread was about calling a genre meh, like fo cerial.

house is already meh

calling an entire broad genre like that "meh" is ridiculous, even if much of it is mediocre or crap. that's what snobbery and music discussion forums are for after all. 

yeah I can't remember how many times a loved something I thought I was supposed to dislike. I got into metal recently actually, I always thought I hated it

house is already meh

calling an entire broad genre like that "meh" is ridiculous,

You're not the boss of me. ;-p And this thread was about calling a genre meh, like fo cerial.

hah, that's a fair point

house is already meh

yeah I can't remember how many times a loved something I thought I was supposed to dislike. I got into metal recently actually, I always thought I hated it

there are very few types of music I don't care for and they are usually very specific joke or bullshit subgenres and/or trends, not genres/styles. as I've become older I've found it impossible to slag off any genre or style of music, and even I can't get into something I can find a reason to objectively respect it...a "i don't get it but I get it / to each their own" attitude

you dig deep into any genre and you'll find something that resonates with you

Archived