IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean there's some good shit itt, but "listening house" i mean, if you didn't know when this track was from,you'd think it was one of these newfangled thingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDEFtJIjy0

or this one

but anyways it's good to see that there's a new generation doing it, as long as props are given.

but the idea of 'listening house' is nothing new, splazsh by actress is one of the finest examples in my books,

Yeah, I was always of the opinion this scene/trend was seeded by that album blowing up.

Sheathe's little history of this 'scene' was noticeable to me by the absence of an Actress namecheck, skipped straight to Heurco.

^Jah, Herbert's been making great listening house (like dis) for years as well.  DJ Sprinkles' Midtown 120 Blues is also an amazon listening house album too.

When I first came across the DJ Boring - Winona track on YT, the rumour was it's Terre Thaemlitz.

91sn32Q.jpg

lol, exactly.

@drlo Nice track but rips off huerco s...

@spi actress is def an influence but not in this scene. His generation was about intellectualizing the dancefloor or taking dance music off the dance floor. The new dance music movement is post 2010 and is about reentring the dance floor in one way or another

All the stuff being called "listening house" here is in many, many mixes and being played in sets all over the world. Just listen to a dj haus set. I'm talking about new dance music, and BroFi—which accounts for 5-10% even if it is hugely popular on YouTube. Things are distributed differently on SoundCloud, and it's a different audience. The YouTube audience is a lot less educated about the house and techno canon.

this type of music is also known as bad music

there is no reason to listen to this music when ron trent exists

word

considering the genius of Ron Trent et al and the recent FACT mag doing an article on this nonsense, if folks get drawn into gimmicks, bad art and unfunny ironies eg: see names involved, personally these fuckwit producers should all be killed & asap @ dat

House is sacred, yo, fuck this mickey mouse cant produce for shit excuse-laden malarkey hipster TOSS

it sounds awful, it dilutes the genius that has visited this genre & when deep-house dons DiY Sound-System do their 30th birthday bash in 2019 NONE of this wank will get within a hundred miles of the turntables, thank fuck

fuckin kids, it should just be called "skinny jeans & ridiculous facial hair house"

Are some of these tracks actually recorded to tape or recorded in some other analog way (like mic to speakers), or is it all plugins?  Real as real.

Paging dude who said he is friends with the scene itself or whatever~

Are some of these tracks actually recorded to tape or recorded in some other analog way (like mic to speakers), or is it all plugins? Real as real.

It really depends, especially if you're talking about all post 2010 dance music as a whole. There's a healthy amount of people who produce within a daw and then bounce to tape. There's a healthy amount who use all hardware and then record to various mediums. The majority of the 2016 brofi crop are probably using all software.

There is a lot of hardware purism, but the initial spark of it is fading.

~

Man, no offense, but at times this thread to me reads like a bunch of 12 year olds talking about "aphex twins" and how "violin solo" is "their" best track.

(Redacted)

Are some of these tracks actually recorded to tape or recorded in some other analog way (like mic to speakers), or is it all plugins?  Real as real.

Pretty sure they're mostly live jams recorded to tape. Though Palms Trax's stuff is all in the box I think.

Here's a cool interview with Terekke about his production method

ahaha i read what you said before you edited it. not totally true but one could frame it that way, still hurts a little - me trying to prove my house bona fides outside of "a few OG black house pioneers" will only make things worse. 

i don't know - this is a very difficult subject because yes house and techno are, to me, inextricably linked to race, especially after rick rubin ruined rap and turned it into modern minstrelsy and now we're stuck we dem boyz chanting tip drill but its cool because it's the rappers' culture ... well it's not really but they have sadly fallen into that position. As we all know rap of the 80s and early 90s was not loaded with that boring, misogynistic, homophobic, song of myself garbage.

House (and to a lesser extent techno) seems like a weird time capsule where the white men of the record industry just kind of left alone - not sure how to market the music, especially when there is a strong gay current through all of it. because of that it seems like it's this really unique area of modern american music where the "OGs" are still around putting out music on their terms and they are still accessible to see live, talk to etc. the crass bastardization has happened across the pond (and maybe come back again with EDM or w/e) but that's so far removed that it's apples and oranges at this point.

But this whole "hipster house" feels like elvis all over again in such a cheap way. I'm not sensing much added to the music beyond

a e s t h e t i c and u saying  "I think there's actually a sentiment here that the people spending their life trying to evolve house music DONT know who Ron Trent is!" seems doubly insulting. Not that Ron Trent is the be all and end of classic house (far from it) but can't white hipsters leave ANYTHING alone? I guess not. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu guess i better buy my fav house records now before discogs becomes untenable. 

anyway <3

terekke is not the norm. That's a mircrocosm that exist(ed)s in the Brooklyn/bushwick scene.

Plus, he released pf pf pass over 5 years ago. A big portion of 2014 and onward producers started by just trying to copy him an others from LIES and proibito and Opal tapes etc.

This thread should stick to the trend that began, at the earliest, in mid 2015.

~

Dr Lopez at a lofi show

https://youtu.be/JisBusnrxzc

dumb because there is *actually* a video of dr lopez dancing with a gay boa at the most hipster event on earth - PS1 summer "warm ups"

dumb because there is *actually* a video of dr lopez dancing with a gay boa at the most hipster event on earth - PS1 summer "warm ups"

lol i remember that

basically i can sum my mood for 2016 by saying i will never use a 909 open hh sound again, nor will i ever alternate from a Cminor9th to an Fminor9th for an entire song...

the crass bastardization has happened across the pond

the key word here is "Allusion".....

theres been a myth perpetrated by a small American elite for decades now that anything produced outside of Chicago & Detroit either A) outside of a certain timeframe or B) by a European racial profile is inauthentic & therefore invalid. Granted - Acid House was most definitely a crass bastardization, but Charles Webster has been a massive talent for 3 decades now, Herbert continues to invigorate rather than dilute (like some of the truly inane bs tunes linked elsewhere in this thread).....& more than anything the music produced by American House elites has always been respected & appreciated here beyond the commercial 90's rrrrrave sheres. Besides, thats not even touching on all the other superb House music to come out of Britain, France & Germany, ie dozens of quality artists & labels who i doubt any of the producers linked elsewhere in this thread have fully immersed themselves with/in.

The biggest irony of all is just how many commercial European synth bands influenced this American elite in their formative years during the late 70's and early 80's, a consideration rarely discussed or acknowledged unless you actually attended gigs by these American DJ's/producers when they'd start pulling out Visage, Yazoo & Cabaret Voltaire rarities. Nuff said.

Also Krancois Kevorkian, a French bloke (ok in NY), almost single-handedly (sp?) pioneered dub versions of disco & 4/4 pop which eventually became the template for House jocks/producers like Tony Humphries, MK (LEGEND!), M@W, Kerri Chandler & Jovonn (his Jersey Goldtone label is a treasure trove of quality) .....the list goes on & on just like Jesse Saunders. It also detracts from the earlier contributions of folks like Chris & Cosey who virtually invented the sounds you hear as House today with their 1982 release "Dancing Ghosts".

Bastardization is accurate if you're looking at a generic view of 90's European "rave" culture, but if you dig a bit, like any respectable sound archaeologist should, there are deeper underlying & interconnected themes that are entirely trans-Atlantic in networking and influences, its a mutually inclusive not exclusive relationship. Just look @ Alfredo's setlists from the mid 80's for the scope of the trans-Atlantic melting pot concerned even at that early juncture. Equally, look at Dubtribe and San Fran's British ex-pat collective the Wicked Crew for other examples of trans-Atlantic to-ing & fro-ing, influences and the outstanding music produced & played to audiences.

Parenthesis - personally been buying House records since 1986 and i'm still find old records every month from 30-25 years ago that slipped under the radar and thats the main point.....theres so much good music from previous decades from all manner of locations that in comparison the quality of more contemporary tunes linked here is a bit of travesty, not because of their recent production age, but because they mostly fail to equate to the basic equation that "House is a feeling". I feel for anyone who wastes their shekels buying it tbh.

re: across the pond appropriation. would it be fair to say that autechre and afx and the like were initially making music out of longing for a distant scene? i mean, if you listen to early AE, it's like a more melodically accessible version of what was happening in the states at the time. it turned into some era defining music, but i think the point could be made that they started just trying to imitate what they were hearing from far away.

do you think people like mike huckaby are sad that there is another generation of people who like his music? is it so wrong for me to put a 4/4 in my tracks even though i'm not a 44 year old from detroit?

i'd say if you havent already if you REALLY REALLY did dig for the genius selections from the mid/late 80's into the early to late 90's, you'd find so much good music a lot of the shite listed in this thread would quietly evaporate from your audio hunting/listening realms. I dont think Afx or Autechre really fall into this field unless yer profiling Selected Ambient Works, so respectfully i dont think what they may or may not have been longing for is really relevant here.

disclaimer - edit fuck ups pre-empted the above should cover a few key specifics

Archived