IGNORED

that one hipster house genre

marian

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've loved house music since I discovered it in highschool, and have been been particularly into the deep house / chilled Ibiza sounds of Hed Kandi's Beach House series, Miguel Migs Salted releases, the Latin club vibes of Louie Vega and the tribal energy of djs like Steve Lawler. Of course I've always loved Dimitri From Paris, Roger Sanchez, Dave Seaman and other straightforward house djs, but I always returned to those dubby jazzy downtempo house cuts, and the beachy breezy stuff, as it resonated with me in a special kind of way, esp through out college in the mid 2000's, when my dormmates were listening to garbage rap like Lil Wayne or emo bands like Thrice.

So the point of the story here is fast forward 10 yrs and now that "deep house" (really just a particular variety of house music with dubby garage basslines) has made a comeback and tropical house has emerged out of the stew of Ibiza/island/carribbean dance tropes, it's been a mixture of excitement and annoyance.excitement cuz these are the sounds I've been into for a long time, and annoyance because some of this trendy shiny poppy house is really enjoyable to me (though 90 % of it is throwaway), and admitting it amonst my authentic house colleagues feels like blasphemy. But also idgaf because to me its always been about the music first. I actually have a single coming out that could be lumped into the most likely dying tired "thing" that is tropical house, but I like to think and I do believe that the melody, lyrics and musicality outshines the almost now irrelevent subgenre that it falls into. (Also, anyone that says they don't like that Kygo Firestone number is lying to themselves lol)

Anyway, I don't have a problem with anyone making good quality tunes whether theyre classic dance music with an original twist or theyre cutting edge or current fad type numbers that stand out, as long as youre doing it with passion, sincerity and that you respect the forefathers that came before you. :) After all, house music has always been a global movement, all races, ages, nationalities, flavors, etc. So white hipsters, black o.g.s, youngn's or veterans, underground or beatport top 10, doesnt matter to me, as long as it's jackin.

Also dont forget that ron trent, masters at work, ralphi rosario, etc etc were all considered "hipster" at one point and was the "trendy" thing to listen to back when it emerged. Of course there was nothing else really like it at the time, but still.

Speaking of Masters at Work, sick mix right herr

what do people in the 'suburban white boys making black music' camp think of berlin dub techno btw? just curious  :catrecline:

Good question. Techno is a bit less loaded in terms of social and cultural appropriation though, house was a more extension of disco and underground dance clubs. The scenes overlapped quickly (acid house was a big meeting point) but they were in different cities, Chicago and Detroit, and spawned from different scenes. IIRC there was even a skeptical producer in techno who was homophobic and dismissive of the Chicago scene while his peers were getting into the music coming from there. I think the Europeans were quite aware of this too which is why the first emergence of neo-nazi hooliganism in gabber / hardcore was addressed quickly by early breakcore (Atari Teenage Riot is a great example, Alec Empire was greatly inspired by anti-fascism when he started producing) as welll as an embracing of dub music via dub techno.

good house music is good house music. it doesn't matter the aesthetic whether it is dub or lofi, to me, if the song is good then i will listen. there is room for lofi and dub techno as long as it doesn't become too derivative and does something interesting. i listen to and love dub techno but new stuff is generally uninteresting so i still to a different era. lofi is still doing interesting stuff, its still sounding good to me.

and the new, this is groovy as hell to me

what do people in the 'suburban white boys making black music' camp think of berlin dub techno btw? just curious  :catrecline:

well they invented it first of all and berlin in the late 80s early 90s looked a lot like detroit does now (aka not suburban white boys)

mortiz and mark lived in south bronx for a while hanging with the jamaican boys as their dub education. they lived it..... and it shows imo. plus if you've followed mark's career post rhythm and sound he is the real deal - totally obsessed with african music in the least annoying way. ndagga is awesome imo

heyall so im doing a few donovan hikaru tracks for a split 7 inch vinyl release in like a week for adhesive sounds, and thought id do my own all-original sample-less take on this underground house shiz.. i went for an africanism / roger sanchez kind of tip.. lol at the vst sax i used to emulate what id imagine being a classic sample. love to hear your thoughts.. just a 15 second thing until i flesh it out. dont mind the kicks at the end, thanks!

edit: lol i totally just realized most of the stuff you guys posted is the legit outsider house like l.i.e.s., ambient / leftfield type stuff, not just lo fi or underground. woops oh well :D

new label E-Beamz seems to be leaning on this genre heavily:

https://e-beamz.bandcamp.com/merch

DJ Longdick, lol

VINYL ONLY RELEASE!..hmm..can't decide between respect,retro or retard

heh, I actually noticed that you added the option " respect" afterwards ...  I  was indeed wondering if the retro vs retard was a false dichotomy ...

long time ago I bought a big box set of Chigaco House ... the tune that has annoying retriggered vocal sample  "I-I - I got a i got a i got  bick dick i got a big dick" -- that's a classic right?

I once read that it was common with jazz musicians to give joke pet names, like  bald bassist might have been Curly Jackson ....

Aptly named DJ Longdick drops HAZE - lo-fi house anthem been doing damage online now for months

it's like a fuzzy polaroid snapshot of a tune ... not unpleasant

I wonder what would be the genre specific criteria that would allow one to extoll or condemn anything in that ...

of course You need a vinyl player to hear everything in its lofi glory, youtube doesn't do justice to real lofi ---

yep.."respect" was added later on..but overall it feels much more like an "artificial scarcity" - thingy.. but i can see now, why the term hipster house might be just the right thing to use/choose..i'm eagerly waiting for some sheet music - only releases..YASS

This is I think the first 'yearly trending microgenre' that I've really, really enjoyed. Never been really into vaporwave, witch house, seapunk and what have you. 

though I appreciate the lo-fi aesthetic of your work, I personally feel that I would enjoy this particular track more with a cleaner mix instead of the lo-fi noise sound, but that's just my opinion, however it's a brilliant track none the less, great work, and cheers for the DL, much appreciated :)

Archived