IGNORED

AFX at Primavera 2017

Lada Laika

Just wish he'd do a full-on set/gig romping through his own material some day.

Yeah, that'd fet me excited, I don't really understand why he doesn't.

Suprising that he gets booked for such high profile slots this way really.

not surprising to me at all. i mean, he's aphex twin, that allows him to do whatever he likes :-D

Yes plus his sets sound like nothing else I've heard from other dj's...

I think that is the main reason why.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not surprising to me at all. i mean, he's aphex twin, that allows him to do whatever he likes :-D

i like how he rushes through all kind of genres in electronic music, managing transitions also when the rhythm is pretty tricky. this isn't easy, so a few minor "mistakes" in mixing are gladly accepted. but i think the most impressive part is his choice of tracks in general, not many other djs playing the stuff he plays (lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records).

edit: regarding the question why he doesn't just play his own tracks, i think it bores him. if you hear your material a 1000 times during mixing etc. it's beginning to annoy you. that's at least my experience, there's so much great music out there, i wouldn't want to play just my own tracks to be honest, plus, djing is very flexible when compared to a live set..

not many other djs playing the stuff he plays (lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records).

Now I'm very curious to hear which DJ's you're (not) aware of to arrive at these kind of conclusions.

not many other djs playing the stuff he plays (lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records).

Now I'm very curious to hear which DJ's you're (not) aware of to arrive at these kind of conclusions.

Are you asking for a list? If you can give me some names that have these kind of sets I'd gladly take a listen.

I just meant to say that his sets tend to have a very high diversity of music in them that goes from very hard to more easy going stuff. And of course the anticipation of hearing some of his own tracks. I think the mix between these things makes it a unique experience in my opinion.

Are you asking for a list? If you can give me some names that have these kind of sets I'd gladly take a listen.

I just meant to say that his sets tend to have a very high diversity of music in them that goes from very hard to more easy going stuff. And of course the anticipation of hearing some of his own tracks. I think the mix between these things makes it a unique experience in my opinion.

Yeah, OK, let me nuance myself a bit here, not trying to be rude here. I mean, he's good live, I've always very much enjoyed it. I like the idea of his sets being a gateway to classics and new good music for people who aren't exposed to it yet. Huge respect for that, but let's not pretend he is the best DJ in the world here (I don't think he ever strived for that either so can't judge him on that, but the fangushing is too much). He's also not the only one giving history lessons with his sets like that.

He's also got the exact same structure to his set for well over ten years now (I've seen him 5 times from 2007 to last week). Again, that's not a bad thing because there's loads of people who never saw him before (as well as the set being very thought out with a professional high budget production for the visuals) but it's gotten a bit predictable, for me at least. Overkill maybe?

Anyway, the thing that triggered me most here was giving the literal definition of what EVERY proper DJ does and attributing it just to him ("lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records")? I hope I'm misinterpreting that though.

Check out https://www.intergalactic.fm/ , every DJ's secret weapon.

Yeah, OK, let me nuance myself a bit here, not trying to be rude here. I mean, he's good live, I've always very much enjoyed it. I like the idea of his sets being a gateway to classics and new good music for people who aren't exposed to it yet. Huge respect for that, but let's not pretend he is the best DJ in the world here (I don't think he ever strived for that either so can't judge him on that, but the fangushing is too much). He's also not the only one giving history lessons with his sets like that.

He's also got the exact same structure to his set for well over ten years now (I've seen him 5 times from 2007 to last week). Again, that's not a bad thing because there's loads of people who never saw him before (as well as the set being very thought out with a professional high budget production for the visuals) but it's gotten a bit predictable, for me at least. Overkill maybe?

Anyway, the thing that triggered me most here was giving the literal definition of what EVERY proper DJ does and attributing it just to him ("lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records")? I hope I'm misinterpreting that though.

Thanks for the clarification. I think Indulin is the right person to answer seeing that you were referring to his words more. 

But as for my post I guess I was focusing more on the diversity in styles of music and the extremes to which he brings it. 

I don't know jack shit about mixing or the technical stuff so wasn't remotely referring to him as best DJ as in technical ability. I do like to read about the technical stuff like the info he posted on Soundcloud, and learning from the people on watmm what it all means. Especially when I read that it takes hours and hours of practice to be able to handle that kind of setup. 

What I was talking about was purely the atmosphere he brings to a gig, and it's something I haven't witnessed a lot before. FD was the second time I saw him after the Pukkelpop set in 2002 with Luke Vibert, so maybe that also contributes to the awe inspired post. 

ps: too bad i didn't come across you on FD, were you wearing the avatar shirt? I was looking out for it but didn't see it. 

of course, you are right and i kind of wrote without thinking :-). every dj does this, true story. i think there are just a lot of djs not taking risks and always look for the same kind of tracks, i'm talking especially about the less underground techno and edm djs. of course richard also always plays his acid stuff, one could say, but then also tracks you wouldn't find if you just follow your routine and style.

but i also must say he can do this and play whatever he likes mostly because of his status. if he wasn't aphex twin and just some random dj guy, way more people would boo him off the stage or something. i like his mixes because it actually sounds like he's trying different things out and still manages to get from track to track fluently. i mean, all those super clean mixes with nearly unrecognizable transitions are impressive, respect to that, but i prefer the more "dirtier" ones :-).

so sorry for my statement, maybe the afx fanboy in me came through :-D!

i like how he rushes through all kind of genres in electronic music, managing transitions also when the rhythm is pretty tricky. this isn't easy, so a few minor "mistakes" in mixing are gladly accepted. but i think the most impressive part is his choice of tracks in general, not many other djs playing the stuff he plays (lot of research, listening to a shitload of tracks, owning very rare records).

This. It is always difficult to mix very experimental stuff but Richards music is also very experimental sometimes so he just nods to his own stuff by dropping unusual tunes especially at the beginning of the mix when the slow tempo allows you to do that (or if this is impossible to blend with the next track) 

So...this bunch of disjointed cunts can fuck right off, they probably never tried to mix anything themselves...

Yeah, I don't think everyone quite got my point there, that's fine though :^)

@Time Tourist: yeah, I wore my avatar on my shirt like a fool. You could also recognize me by the viking build and sunburnt neck. I met loads of chatmmers mostly, not enough watmmers unfortunately though, would've been fun meeting up with y'all. 

@induliun: I see what you mean. That's all cool, no need to apologize.

@Time Tourist: yeah, I wore my avatar on my shirt like a fool. You could also recognize me by the viking build and sunburnt neck. I met loads of chatmmers mostly, not enough watmmers unfortunately though, would've been fun meeting up with y'all. 

Me too re: shirt (not like a fool though), but didn't meet any wattmmers.  

Yeah, I don't think everyone quite got my point there, that's fine though :^)

Ha, cool. guess it'll have to happen on the aphex gig. 

Talk to anyone outside of the fan circle about seeing an aphex dj set and they will grimace and talk shite about mic in blender/sandpaper on decks.

I think the same goes for half of his own tracks... 

Me too re: shirt (not like a fool though), but didn't meet any wattmmers.  

Didn't see anyone wearing any Church of Ra stuff, and I always keep an eye out for random goffs.

So...this bunch of disjointed cunts can fuck right off, they probably never tried to mix anything themselves...

:unsure:

https://www.mixcloud.com/Richie_Sombrero/

It's sort of funny how people will defend anything. Not saying any opinion is right or wrong, least of all mine, but he could literally just play static headlining Glastonbury and a few would jump to defend it.

That'd be quite good actually...

Archived