IGNORED

Quora: why are so many musicians fascinated by autechre?

Draft78

I know many musicians who actually laugh at autechre. Like literally laugh. for a jazzman or guitarist, melodically, autechre is really ordinary

is this a new watmmeme?

no

and the fact that nobody has asked if autechre hand their sounds out in secrete is dissapointing

My wife (classically trained and professionally active musician) has said that although AE are not 100% her coup of tea and she understands why number of people are put off by their music (too alien, few melodies, too much noise), but she thinks that their talent demands respect. It's not easy and requires loads of imagination to sculpture sounds like this and create music where anything can happen. 

It was a-thunderin’ and a-thunderin’ and lightnin’

On the day that some poor boy was a’born

I ain’t never known nothin’ but your trouble

Well your trouble and your hate and scorn

My daddy died in a train wreck

My momma she was born to lose

My middle name is natural born trouble

My last name is the IDM

My last name is the IDM

Autechre is most interesting for their rhythms and strange sounds. Aphex and others may be far better melodically but as a trained drummer there are no musical groups I know of who have as much funky, skewed, controlled-chaos in their beats as Autechre. Also, their samples and other primary sounds are so manipulated, distorted, or altered that they sound truly original, unlike almost anything else, and often leave one guessing "how did they make that sound?"

Aphex and others may be far better melodically

I don't feel that way, IMO tracks like Further, Tilapia, Cichli, see on see, 1 1 is and freulaeux are at least as good melodically as anything I've heard from Aphex.

I know many musicians who actually laugh at autechre. Like literally laugh. for a jazzman or guitarist, melodically, autechre is really ordinary

"Fuck jazz too"

First time reading this thread but I have a timely thing to mention. I can't remember if it was a dream or recent vague memory when I was driving, but I heard someone say on the radio "jazz is the only important music America has contributed to the world" or something and I was like 'man fuck that shit, I get jazz is great or whatever but give me rock and roll and it's derivatives any day"

It took me a little while to realize this but Quora is kind of retarded.

I agree completely.  Most of the questions are worthless and many of them are asked as excuses for people to brag about themselves on alternate accounts it seems.  It's so quasi-intellectual

It took me a little while to realize this but Quora is kind of retarded.

I agree completely.  Most of the questions are worthless and many of them are asked as excuses for people to brag about themselves on alternate accounts it seems.  It's so quasi-intellectual

Yeah it's like Reddit for the Ted Talk audience. I used to think it was really neat and interesting until I discovered Hacker News and I was like holy shit how could I stand that drivel?

60% trolled.  but indeed quora is mainly a place for the heavily sedentary, sometimes that means very smart graduate students, sometimes that means tards.  it depends on the question

Archived