IGNORED

New Aphex Twin 10" [TECH-004]

Icct

This is kinda how Rephlex operated, with some releases being vinyl-only, and even when digital downloads became the norm, they were very hesitant to embrace that, preferring physical copies.

I'm gonna pirate the shit out of it, along with the Analords and other Rephlex stuff that's not anywhere to be found anymore.

same, fuck that blasé blasé shit

btw i am a nice pirate, i buy the plunderings that i like

This is kinda how Rephlex operated, with some releases being vinyl-only, and even when digital downloads became the norm, they were very hesitant to embrace that, preferring physical copies.

yea but they didnt sell the records exclusively from richard's grandma's bakery in Cornwall

yea but they didnt sell the records exclusively from richard's grandma's bakery in Cornwall

lol

Yes, that is true, but is similar to the "exclusivity" by which Rephlex operated...

the problem isnt that it's physical only, it's that it's only available in some derelict town in michigan lol.

I am still smh over that one...

Guy running this just got in touch with me to say this (he says he posted this on Facebook as well):

since lots of people are asking: to be more clear, some of the audio releases will be available outside of the store but many will likely not be because of all the arrangements/terms that many of the artists have on other labels and contracts. any that can be distributed, will be (at some point).

great new Aphex but what is this weird company Palace Skateboards ? clothes look like designed by some hobos from the 90´s , is this some new gettho style, pls explain cause its going to be cool in Austria in maybe 10 years.

their instagram seem funny, havent seen so much anti-marketing in a while
https://www.instagram.com/palaceskateboards/

Hey hey guys,

This is Todd Osborn. Yeah, so none of this is done with calculated exclusivity in mind. All artists are doing personal favors for us and so we can't distro absolutely everything because of legalities with other labels.

I realize things will get pirated and whatnot and that's fine; just makes for a nice thing to have in store all the same. If for some reason you see a release you want getting gauged in discogs or something, msg me and I'll sort you out - I want the people who love the music to have it, but this is a weird situation where I can't distro things like a normal person.

Let me know any other concerns, besides hatred of Palace, etc, ha

When you first listen to a record, there is a tangible effort made. You must put the wax on the platter, drop the needle…it has a feel and a smell, there is surface noise which is individual to your copy and turntable. There is more interface with what is going on, but with mp3s it’s often streamed on a laptop while you do something like eat a sandwich and read a buzzfeed article on the migration of owls. There’s less focus, less participation. I think this makes physical format music – vinyl especially – something more than just the music.

Secondly – vinyl retains value. You can look at your collection and see it in real space, not just data. There is something of a sense of digital entitlement since the Napster revolution – where we feel *because* something exists, somehow we are entitled to have it in our preferred format. It returns the joy of crate digging, searching out records in charity shops (and of course, the downside is Discogs scalpers – but nothing is perfect) There’s something special about having something the way the artist intended.

Let me tell you this: if a painter sold only a limited number of framed prints of their work, would you get angry with them that there wasn’t a lo-res .jpg of it for your iPhone wallpaper?

Hey hey guys,

This is Todd Osborn. Yeah, so none of this is done with calculated exclusivity in mind. All artists are doing personal favors for us and so we can't distro absolutely everything because of legalities with other labels.

I realize things will get pirated and whatnot and that's fine; just makes for a nice thing to have in store all the same. If for some reason you see a release you want getting gauged in discogs or something, msg me and I'll sort you out - I want the people who love the music to have it, but this is a weird situation where I can't distro things like a normal person.

Let me know any other concerns, besides hatred of Palace, etc, ha

Well said, Todd - thanks for clearing things up.

When you first listen to a record, there is a tangible effort made. You must put the wax on the platter, drop the needle…it has a feel and a smell, there is surface noise which is individual to your copy and turntable. There is more interface with what is going on, but with mp3s it’s often streamed on a laptop while you do something like eat a sandwich and read a buzzfeed article on the migration of owls. There’s less focus, less participation. I think this makes physical format music – vinyl especially – something more than just the music.

Secondly – vinyl retains value. You can look at your collection and see it in real space, not just data. There is something of a sense of digital entitlement since the Napster revolution – where we feel *because* something exists, somehow we are entitled to have it in our preferred format. It returns the joy of crate digging, searching out records in charity shops (and of course, the downside is Discogs scalpers – but nothing is perfect) There’s something special about having something the way the artist intended.

Let me tell you this: if a painter sold only a limited number of framed prints of their work, would you get angry with them that there wasn’t a lo-res .jpg of it for your iPhone wallpaper?

That's a good argument, span.

Most annoying post of the year? Top 10 surely

sup todd, before you get buried under pm's i think i can speak for most of us here by saying: we realy wanna blast these releases at home!!

i realy hope you can put the music on bandcamp with permission of the labels/artist after you sold the copies

all the best

your pal ooze

Most annoying post of the year? Top 10 surely

3ie3FcD.png

sup todd, before you get buried under pm's i think i can speak for most of us here by saying: we realy wanna blast these releases at home!!

i realy hope you can put the music on bandcamp with permission of the labels/artist after you sold the copies

all the best

your pal ooze

Yeah, for sure. Whatever ones can go out wider and digital legally, will.

I just posted (the post was only on my personal FB page - so wasn't trying to antagonize int'l crew, ha) in broad terms.

Also, everything being said, I always really loved Submerge where you had to go there to buy S.I.D. records. Mike wanted people to see the city and where the music was coming from. Obviously not exactly the same since Rich isn't from Detroit, ha, but I like the idea of there being something special at the store if you make the trek to get there. At my first store, Dubplate Pressure, I had Rewind #1 for sale exclusively there. Partly because no one knew/cared, but an alright residual effect was that there was something special for whoever came out. So yeah, this wasn't done with that intent but as it ends up I like there are some unique things in-store. Anyhow, I'd imagine things will change somewhat as it gets rolling, but I'll make sure you guys get sorted with whatever