IGNORED

New Aphex Twin 10" [TECH-004]

Icct

Why not just press onto a 10"?

Because 10" require different moulds, setup times, extra costs, etc. Same reason they charge more for XL sizes at the shops. Common sense, innit.

Actually, it's because Todd decided to press it at Archers Record Pressing in Detroit, and they don't have the capability to press 10"s.

Ah, good to know - although I think my point still stands - cheaper to press a 12" than a 10" (last time I checked). Might be wrong on that too though!

No it shouldn't be cheaper to press a 12" than a 10". Though in general, 10"s contain less music so seem to have less value than a 12", so I think many ppl expect to pay less $ than a 12". Same goes for 7"s. Basically 10"s and 7"s are less financially viable formats than a 12"... though in the case of an AFX 12", which I'm sure anyone would be happy to buy for $20 regardless of what format and how much music's on it, I don't think doing it as a 12" gave Todd any advantage other than the fact that he was able to press it at his local pressing plant, who don't do 10"s

maybe 10's cost more because you have less recording time but to counteract it you end up with better quality... and like joyrex pointed out the technology used in the process has to be changed from the usual 12's pressing which cost time and time is money... Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

FYI - @ TES

multiple copies of every Analord record. on sale next weekend

https://www.facebook.com/technicalequipmentsupply/

28516010_838601029660596_176882575778763

oh my :aphexsign:

I hope those aren't the PVC sleeves that yellow and stick to the records over time by being exposed to light...

For some reason or another I think the Analord sleeves are better and less sticky than other PVC sleeves I've had in the past. Or maybe it's just that the other ones have been sitting in there for 10+ years longer than the Analords. I have a couple records that have gotten so fogged up from their sleeves that they're totally unplayable now. At any rate I can't imagine being the vinyl-head he is that AFX would knowingly put out records in sleeves that would damage them.

my analords which sit in the binder are misted up. im considering trying the youtube solutions but im also quite scared. 

Nah man, they're ruined. I'll take them off your hands for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, are the PVC sleeves really THAT bad for the Analords ? mines are still in its binder, & yes have a bits of surface noises here & then but not that much (played them a lot) but well, life has surface noise - to quote John Peel. Nothing really shocking in terms of sound, or perhaps i should check my earing.

What i do like best with the binder is that i keep finding hair of my long time deceased dog between the Analords !  :doge:

Brillant series anyway.  

At any rate I can't imagine being the vinyl-head he is that AFX would knowingly put out records in sleeves that would damage them.

fucking lol

Uhhh.... let's travel back in time to the early 90's:

Richard: Grant - what's the cost for PVC sleeves on our vinyl releases?

GWC: One pound per sleeve

Richard: Fucking hell - any cheaper ones?

GWC: Yeah, there's a distributor that has alternates for 50p each

Richard: Sorted

Or something like that - honestly, humor aside, it was probably just down to ignorance from the perspective that nobody really knew the long-term effects of certain PVC formulations on vinyl, so I am sure Rephlex weren't the only label back then to have unknowingly used inferior materials for packaging.

Another fun example is how the mid-90's Warner CDs suffer from unusually high rates of disc rot... Releases like the US Selected Ambient Works Volume II are in that category.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...