IGNORED

György Ligeti, Bartok. anyone else?

watmmisdead

The Avant Garde Project is a series of recordings of 20th-century classical, experimental, and electroacoustic music digitized from LPs whose music has in most cases never been released on CD, and so is effectively inaccessible to the vast majority of music listeners today.

http://avantgardeproject.conus.info/mirror/index.htm

It's all about late Ligeti. Hamburg Concerto is a masterpiece. Also check out Benedict Mason, Hans Abrahamsen and Unsuk Chin.

I listened to the Hamburg concerto yesterday. Loved it. indeed probably the best thing ive heard from ligeti so far.

what other 20th composer youd recommend?

It's all about late Ligeti. Hamburg Concerto is a masterpiece. Also check out Benedict Mason, Hans Abrahamsen and Unsuk Chin.

I listened to the Hamburg concerto yesterday. Loved it. indeed probably the best thing ive heard from ligeti so far.

what other 20th composer youd recommend?

audit a 20th century music class at ur community college m8. you'll learn more than u ever could in here.

Did you listen to Ligeti quartets? They are mind blowing!!

Scriabin by Ashkenazy is unbelievable.(random shit anime artwork i know hahaha)

This is a guy i know,a Montreal contrabassist/improviser,he makes the craziest double bass impros,you might like what he does.

https://aaronlumley.bandcamp.com/track/low-country-blues

Not feeling all the Messiaen stuff I've heard (most of his stuff is organ and pretty heavy going, if anyone can suggest any entry points that would be appreciated) , but this is a stunning piece of music:

Tried to embed but I'm a forum idiot

Edit: Oh OK it worked duh

Not feeling all the Messiaen stuff I've heard (most of his stuff is organ and pretty heavy going, if anyone can suggest any entry points that would be appreciated) , but this is a stunning piece of music:

https://youtu.be/e3ZFE86QShA

The organ stuff is largely function music, not art music

But check out "Trois Petite Liturgies"

"O Sacrum Convivium"

"Preludes pour Piano"

"Trois Melodies"

The Avant Garde Project is a series of recordings of 20th-century classical, experimental, and electroacoustic music digitized from LPs whose music has in most cases never been released on CD, and so is effectively inaccessible to the vast majority of music listeners today.

http://avantgardeproject.conus.info/mirror/index.htm

Sweeeeet

The organ stuff is largely function music, not art music

But check out "Trois Petite Liturgies"

"O Sacrum Convivium"

"Preludes pour Piano"

"Trois Melodies"

Cheers man. Will add it to the list of stuff I need to check out. As it happens Ascension followed the one I posted on Youtube and the little bit I caught sounded in a similar vein, at least harmonically.

• 2 weeks later...

found this album when it was reissued by recollection grm / editions mego a few years back, more musique concrete but should fit the bill.  Parmegiani also came up in one of the recent autechre interviews, may have been the resident advisor one.  anyway, this album sounds shockingly fresh to my ears.  excited to check out some others in this thread too

Archived