IGNORED

New Nine Inch Nails EP, Reissues

Joyrex

Not related to the EP but the website, it's quite a shame that remix.nin.com is suddenly gone without notice (even though most tracks on there were quite honestly shit). Still, it was kinda fun to go there every so often. Didn't Rob promise like 4 years ago that the official forums and the remix page would be overhauled? I wonder where that went. Probably with Tension 2013 and the Wave Goodbye releases.

yeah! I just tried visiting that page yesterday for the first time in probably 6 years and was sad to see it is gone.

How shit is this going to be, I wonder? Osc is right in the Tetsuo track being the best thing he'd done in a long time. Though it does make me laugh how even when he does noise it's the softest, least abrasive noise ever.

RIP Trent. I didn't even bother with Hesitation Marks after hearing a couple of tracks and liking none of the tracks from that album he played live.

How shit is this going to be, I wonder? Osc is right in the Tetsuo track being the best thing he'd done in a long time. Though it does make me laugh how even when he does noise it's the softest, least abrasive noise ever.

RIP Trent. I didn't even bother with Hesitation Marks after hearing a couple of tracks and liking none of the tracks from that album he played live.

Best part of that Tetsuo track is the 'chorus' part, definite Ruiner vibes on that.

lolwut:

"Hi Rob,

Thanks for ordering from Nine Inch Nails. This email confirms your order of the following items:

THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1 2017 LIMITED EDITION 4XLP + HI RES DIGITAL x 1

Your Order ID is NIN16817 and your payment has now cleared. A receipt has been emailed to you separately.

You can download your digital products from *LINK*

This link may be used up to 3 times before it expires.

Thanks,

Nine Inch Nails Store"

I clicked the link, downloaded the zip, and within the zip was a JPG of the cover mockup from the site, and a PDF containing the following message:

15626097_10154529145880073_2421769213251

why couldn't that just be an email? Why even need an email anyway? I came home excited to hear this lol

From what I can actually make out, it's certainly better than Hesitation Marks. The thing is that the mix is so goddamn claustrophobic that it's really hard to understand what is going on a lot of the time, especially the vocals. It sounds like a fucking demo.

EDIT: lol at Trent trying to do the Roger Waters thing. Also the way Trent talks throughout the rambling of Burning Bright reminds me of Option 30

EDIT 2: Where is the impenerable stuff, by the way? The chorus on Burning Bright sounds like it could fit comfortably on any angsty teen nu metal album

Edited by clarktrent

I think he just meant murky.  Actually, listening to the song now, I haven't yet noticed which part is supposed to be the chorus.  That's an impenetrability of sorts.  I heard "break through the surface" repeat a few times.  Is that the chorus?  I like that this doesn't sound a lot like several other things he's done (which tends to be the case for anything since Fragile).  Could see it being pretty cool in the context of an EP, and with successive listens.  Seems like a bit of a filler song (ie if you took the production away it wouldn't have much to stand on), but I'm still interested.

Guest bitroast

i dig the song. it def starts off a bit rambling and whatever but at this point im more listening to the fat bass riff and melodic hooks in the song. and then boom chorus comes in and pretty NIN outro. not sure it's impenetrable or greatest thing ever but i enjoyed :^) 

I haven't listened to the new EP yet, but the Fragile deviations thing is pretty great. Some of it is a little frustrating, where it sounds like the tracks have regressed to demo versions, but there are some genuine moments of interesting new parts or melodies suddenly revealed by the lack of vocals. Also, it's funny how much my mind fills in the blanks; I could swear I heard faint traces of lead vocals in a few tracks.

This is making me wish even more that he would release the stems of The Fragile, like he did with a few other releases. It'd be massive, but for a Fragile fanboy like me, it'd be lush as fuck.

The EP is super murky.  Many bassy layers with his voice just barely poking through.  It's got kind of a cool vibe, but nothing about it is really rekindling my interest in where NIN's headed.  Old NIN on the other hand... I really need to hear those Fragile leftovers.

• 5 years later...
On 12/16/2016 at 3:56 PM, beerwolf said:

I'd like to start a thread (maybe in the new year) about our thoughts on how much new and old music we can consume. Because right now I find it something I'm struggling with the the goddamn weight of it all (maybe its an age thing, I'm a fucking old cunt lol), I definitely think I've reached the point where I'm zeroing out. The double-edged sword of having every record in the world being accessible online and all these old classic records released as hefty expensive vinyl reissues. I dunno....where does it end? It's not as much fun as it used to be, imo. There are only so many hours in the day.

The new year will see me totally change my approach to listening to music, possibly just going back to old school methods of simple but more refined ways of listening. I know there's an issue when I've been spending two years just listening to an endless whirlpool of new (lets be honest most of it shit) music which I never revisited more than once and yet I haven't in those two years listened to the first 5 Sabbath albums once in full (which to me is sacrilege), or Surfing on SIne Waves, Geogaddi, Velvet Underground and Nico, Low, even Reign In Blood and LP5! What the fuck is that all about? That is bollocks. It's cool though because I downloaded 10000 tapes recorded from a Brixton pirate radio station in 1991 and 40,000 mixtapes. Meanwhile my beloved copies of Remain in Light and KLF CHillout gathers another inch of stagnant dust What the fuck is going on?

And now I've reached the age that all my old favorite albums are going to be released as £100 vinyl special editions!! Fucking brilliant!

Sorry for the grumpy thread (that's a lie tbh) I'll get back into my grumpy cave. Goodnight.

Bastard :diablo::biggrin:

This is necro'd all to hell but I had a funny (to me at least) revelation when I saw Tront n' the gang live last month. They do a pretty badass reimagining of "Sanctified" lately and for whatever reason, I haven't really revisited that track closely since I was basically a kid.

Well, the lyrics are emerging out of my brainstem on autopilot as I bop along and then the "AND IF SHE SAYS 'COME INSIDE'!/I WILL COME INSIDE FOR HER!" line hits. If there are any Bing Bong/Gorilla NEMS fans out there, my brain immediately pulled the needle off the record and I said "ayyy yo! noooo". Funny how the reddest flag possible sounds so romantic or alluring when you're young.  

yawn (it's 5am)

wow, indeed a grumpy post (I'm not that old in 2016!)

glad to report in the years since I have a very happy relationship with my music, 60% old music and my albums in my cd collection (as in music released from 1965 to mid 2000) and back catalogue releases of artist's I like but may not of heard, all Aphex and Autechre, 30% new music releases and 10% BBC 6music

also spend a lot of time tinkering with my beloved Spotify playlists curated by my own good self

and don’t buy vinyl anymore 

that's it! Simples ?

? 

Edited by beerwolf