IGNORED

Shobaleader One in Los Angeles - WOW

pabs

Went to the Shobaleader One show last night in Los Angeles.

WOW, this was probably the best show I've ever been to, no exaggeration.  The players were excellent.  Of particular note was the drummer, who literally played every single note in Squarepusher's fast tracks.  The tracks were actually done at the same tempo as the originals, which was astounding.  I couldn't understand how that drummer did that.

What's awesome is that they played a wide variety from Tom's repertoire...the tracklist was basically immaculate.

There was only one track that I think was brand new, the rest are listed below.

Tracklist (written the next morning, while my memory's still fresh)

Deep Fried PIzza (Squarepusher Plays...)

Squarepusher Theme (Feed me Weird Things)

Cooper's World (Hard Normal Daddy)

E8 Boogie (Hard Normal Daddy)

A Journey To Reedham 7 AM mix  (Big Loada)

Iambic 5 Poetry (Budakhan Mindphone)

Anstromm-Feck 4 (Do You Know Squarepusher)

Tetra-Sync (Ultravisitor)

Hello Meow (Hello Everything)

Delta-V (Just A Souvenir)

Megazine (d'Demonstrator)

Listed the albums they come from to show just how varied the tracklisting was.

So who here went?  Let's nerd out!

I was so stoked when I heard Deep Fried Pizza, it's such an obscure one...good to know he hasn't forgotten about it!

Tetra-Sync was amazing and the drumming was just insanely spot on...but surprisingly I thought his other more melodic songs worked better than Tetra-Sync.

''Twas a great show; socks blown off. I remember the set list a bit differently (journey closed the main set), but I was cold without my socks so my memory might be foggy.

Also, yeah, the drummer is ridiculous. Absolute perfection. Was trying to identify through the mask, but I failed. Burly beard dude, looks fairly metal (no surprise).

And the more rock oriented 'pusher tunes absolutely slay in this context (finally!).

Hey baph,

You're right, Journey closed the main set.  I wasn't listing the tracks in order of performance, but rather in the order of when the tracks were released.  It made it easier to write the list!

oh man, wish i could go to one of these shows. anstromm-feck must be absolutely insane live

This drummer is so incredible! Absolutely amazing, I can't wait for this record.

EDIT: Need to verify after a couple years of forgetting to ask, the name is pronounced "Show-Buh-Leader One", correct?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived