IGNORED

Squarepusher at Day For Night

joshuatxuk

Excellent show. Nothing was going to top RDJ's set for me emotionally or in visceral impact but fucking hell Squarepusher's show was incredible sounding (well done whoever set that stage up) and the visuals were brilliant. Loved the reaktor patch shots mixed in with the other visuals. Tom was having a lot of fun up there as well.

No bass or full band but he still ripped, especially when he was playing around with a track in the middle of the set, speeding up and slowing down breakbeats live and being cheeky.

I haven't been as well versed in Tom's discography for years now so beyond the obvious cuts from Damogen Furies I didn't recognize everything by name immediately, though I swore he played some older tracks in there.

couple snippets my wife and I took:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOOQDJGgb9Y/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BONUVlPAfHoDLFTk8SQrdakI4MGkoJi4LgQGnA0/

still kicking myself for sitting through garbage (liars) to get a glimpse of bjork's awful set. by the time i swam out of the crowd sp was ending. heard about 10 seconds of it. 

:sad:

Apparently Bjork played a completely different set than on Friday. Atom mentioned seeing her on Friday and that was crazy tribal stuff that was actually quite good. From what I gathered it was straight up dull ass ambient on Sunday, right?

Yeah we ditched Liars (so dull) to get to Squarepusher earlier. We left after that, I figured Butthole Surfers, as much as I have a nostalgic love for them from high school, were going to be at best "ok." It was nice actually getting back to my inlaws, eating leftover meatballs, then getting sleep before driving back to work in Austin the next morning.

I dipped out of Liars early and got there right as Squarepusher was starting. It was so good, not AFX good (but who is?) but fucking excellent and sounded incredible.

Wish I had a photographic memory for those Reaktor patches!

The insanity of the strobes near the end made one of my friends hurl into a trash can. She sat with her back to the stage for the last couple songs lol

https://instagram.com/p/BOLynGqBqlH/

I stood for squarepusher where i SHOULD have stood for aphex twin. Right in the middle and like 100 ft from the stage. Perfect sound balance and visibility of everything. His live manipulations got better as the set went on. And he did fuCKIN KWANG BASS which was magnificent. He also kept doing that forcefully point into the audience thing which was an lol every single time

Edit: phudo you should definitely let me know about that recording when you do figure it out...

Liars are fantastic yo.

I wasnt feeling it at DFN, I'm sure they have been in the past. I saw them open for Radiohead (2007) but it was mixed quietly so I dont really remember it. Just one of those bands Ive never given a proper chance.

I stood for squarepusher where i SHOULD have stood for aphex twin. Right in the middle and like 100 ft from the stage. Perfect sound balance and visibility of everything. His live manipulations got better as the set went on. And he did fuCKIN KWANG BASS which was magnificent. He also kept doing that forcefully point into the audience thing which was an lol every single time

Edit: phudo you should definitely let me know about that recording when you do figure it out...

100% agree - the sound was amazing centre/centre

Did anyone else notice that they sound checked a bass guitar? I was sure he was gonna whip out the bass! Still a fucking fantastic set. I was up front and center with bubbhasdance. Not Aphex good, but it was one of the highlights of the fest for me for sure.

I was wondering if bubbha was there. I didn't see him. :( I also missed this set because I wanted to be close for the bjork set that turned out to be a little disappointing. I was sort of hoping Bjork would be something magical and different that I hadn't experienced before. Oh well, I guess I have to catch Tom some other time.

Adieu I was originally planning leaving early to go to Bjork, but Tom was going in so hard I couldn't bring myself to leave. I'm glad I stayed. It was the highlight of Sunday for me.

Archived