IGNORED

Squarepusher at Day For Night

joshuatxuk

This is a new track. I don't recall it from his discography.

Is that not Venus No. 17? sounds like the other clip with matching background.

Also, are there any soundboards of SP live?

Adieu I was originally planning leaving early to go to Bjork, but Tom was going in so hard I couldn't bring myself to leave. I'm glad I stayed. It was the highlight of Sunday for me.

yeah I was gonna catch some of Björk but Squarepusher was insane, def the best of the fest behind Rich

my thinking was kinda like SP is more of the same type of stuff I've seen and enjoy and Bjork is something vastly different so the experience could be more interesting. alas, it was not. Not to say it was bad, but I didn't stick around for her entire set either. Ended up running around to different stages and socializing with some folks. Met some friends I hadn't seen in years and chatted with them for a while. 

The sound quality for aphex for me was kind of bad. Really bassy and washy and it was hard to hear the high end. Some of the recordings sound better than what I heard live. I think it was partially the weather, partially my positioning.

squarepusher on the other hand was fucking incredible. The sound quality was clear as day for me. Not that I didn't enjoy aphex, I did, it was a big deal for me to see him, but I was also really impressed with mr. pusher.

The sound quality for aphex for me was kind of bad. Really bassy and washy and it was hard to hear the high end. Some of the recordings sound better than what I heard live. I think it was partially the weather, partially my positioning.

squarepusher on the other hand was fucking incredible. The sound quality was clear as day for me. Not that I didn't enjoy aphex, I did, it was a big deal for me to see him, but I was also really impressed with mr. pusher.

I had my earplugs in as I was very close to the stage for aphex, and even though they are decent earplugs I couldn't hear some of the higher end stuff. Like, the track before the acid rain song, I couldn't ear that it was saying "acid" over and over. I also felt like it was kinda quiet to start off. Dunno if that was my positioning or not, but I was slightly right of the main big ass speaker and very close to front stage.

Personally, I thought for the parts where Aphex was tame, Tom made up for it. There were a ton more glitched out squelches during Squarepusher than AFX and it really scratched that itch for me.

Anyone have footage of the whole thing?

Squarepusher was easily the highlight of Sunday for me. I was watching the RZA which really warmed me up. The crowd was excited but didn't seem that familiar with the material. Really enjoyed seeing him with a live band. Stuck that out until the last minute while my friends got prime spots for Squarepusher, i timed it so i was in the crowd the moment he started, and quickly moved in a center spot probably 70 feet back. There were some gentlemen smoking a joint when i first walked up, between songs i tapped him on the shoulder and said in a way as to sound helpful "hey let me know if you need any help with that thing"

He laughed and passed it back to me. I raved and raved and eventually i was probably only 20 feet away!

It was very emotional and joyous for me, the entirety of the experience of the weekend really hit me watching him perform.

I have never danced like that in my life!

Went inside right after to check out Bjork (whom i love) and was feeling a couple songs but then things kinda fell out for me. The fact that Little Dragon was outside performing live was in the back of my head so i just said "screw it" and went out and caught most of their set. It was really dope! It was weird going from dancing to hip-hop, IDM and then the funky pop-soul sounds of Little Dragon.

Also, are there any soundboards of SP live?

The best recording s I have are mostly Japanese  - not soundboard but nice and  clear plus you need the Japanese crowd sound for full squarepuhser effect:

The MOST epic is 2hours: https://beta.mixcloud.com/keyfumbler/squarepusher-laforet-museum-roppongi-japan-2004/

Squarepusher was my fave at the entire fest. Aphex's set was indeed pure magic but Tom took me there. Possibly because I knew the tracks. The shrooms helped. Going on to Björk's set was perfect after the Pusher's set. She had that room transfixed from what I could tell. I was completely lost in her track selection. I loved it. Wish people were celebrating her set as much as Aphex's but........he is wizard master. She is the Galactic Goddess. Squarepusher is the fucking man. Day For Night Festival was overwhelmingly inspiring and incredible.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Squarepusher was awesome. I nearly died of excitement when he played Venus No. 17

I didn't expect that track at all. When I saw him in the past, he usually did albums song for song in order. Throwing Venus into a DF set was surprising and I think caught everyone off guard.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived