IGNORED

THE OTHER PEOPLE PLACE - Lifestyles Of The Laptop Café REISSUE!!!

pizza

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting that they're calling this a james stinson solo project now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_gG_clpWU

Who is?

"Originally released back in 2001 as part of the Drexciyan off-shoot Storm Series, Lifestyles was one of the various projects of one-half of deep sea electro pioneers Drexciya, James Stinson.[...] Where Drexciya's sound was focused in the deepest corners of the ocean, James's work as The Other People Place was a solo project that turned its gaze elsewhere, most notably in the direction of love."
- Bleep

“...arguably the most complete transmission from Drexciya's James Stinson [...] a yardstick by which pretty much every electronic music album should be measured.”

- Boomkat

"The much sought-after LP from Drexciya’s James Stinson has been hard to come by for many years, with prices for secondhand copies fetching up to £185.79 on Discogs."
- Fact

Well yeah TOPP is a Stinson solo project whereas Der Zyklus is one of Gerald Donald's side projects isn't it ?

I don't understand why you linked a Zyklus track with press talk about the Laptop Cafe reissue :psyduck:

interesting that they're calling this a james stinson solo project now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_gG_clpWU

Who is?

"Originally released back in 2001 as part of the Drexciyan off-shoot Storm Series, Lifestyles was one of the various projects of one-half of deep sea electro pioneers Drexciya, James Stinson.[...] Where Drexciya's sound was focused in the deepest corners of the ocean, James's work as The Other People Place was a solo project that turned its gaze elsewhere, most notably in the direction of love."
- Bleep

“...arguably the most complete transmission from Drexciya's James Stinson [...] a yardstick by which pretty much every electronic music album should be measured.”

- Boomkat

"The much sought-after LP from Drexciya’s James Stinson has been hard to come by for many years, with prices for secondhand copies fetching up to £185.79 on Discogs."
- Fact

Sorry. I knew that already.  I read your comment as Der Zyklus being the Stinson solo project.  Does sound like Stinson.

I hadn't  heard of this till the reissue announcment so i had a little listen last night and...sorry guys, it isn't doing much for me at all. I guess you had to have an attachment to it from 2001, it sounds ok but it's pretty basic

I hadn't  heard of this till the reissue announcment so i had a little listen last night and...sorry guys, it isn't doing much for me at all. I guess you had to have an attachment to it from 2001, it sounds ok but it's pretty basic

drexciya universe is an acquired taste for sure but it rewards discerning listeners. i first listened to this album probably about 7 years ago so w/e nothing to do with time mate. 

pretty basic hurts a little - its charm and skill are in its simplicity. give it another go

No love, you serious?

The Drexciya universe is an acquired taste for sure but it rewards discerning listeners.

Its charm and skill are in its simplicity. give it another go. 

The last 2 tracks always do me in in the most righteous of ways.

WRT whas been sed above, I agree this isn't the best entry point to the Drexciya and Stinson's work, but it's definitely lush AF and so fitting as a capstone to it all.  I always thought Neptune's Lair was a great place to start - first proper album, both immediately accessible and adventurous - and from there you could venture back into the earlier raw ish (singles compiled on The Quest, Deep Sea Dweller series) and onward through the Storms and to this.

WRT whas been sed above, I agree this isn't the best entry point to the Drexciya and Stinson's work, but it's definitely lush AF and so fitting as a capstone to it all. I always thought Neptune's Lair was a great place to start - first proper album, both immediately accessible and adventurous - and from there you could venture back into the earlier raw ish (singles compiled on The Quest, Deep Sea Dweller series) and onward through the Storms and to this.

^Yup that's exactly how I got into all of it. The storms are my favorite but you really gotta listen to em all to get the full effect. Really couldn't go wrong with Harnessed the Storm as a starting point either, bit darker than the early stuff though.

WRT whas been sed above, I agree this isn't the best entry point to the Drexciya and Stinson's work, but it's definitely lush AF and so fitting as a capstone to it all. I always thought Neptune's Lair was a great place to start - first proper album, both immediately accessible and adventurous - and from there you could venture back into the earlier raw ish (singles compiled on The Quest, Deep Sea Dweller series) and onward through the Storms and to this.

^Yup that's exactly how I got into all of it. The storms are my favorite but you really gotta listen to em all to get the full effect. Really couldn't go wrong with Harnessed the Storm as a starting point either, bit darker than the early stuff though.

Started with Neptune's Lair as well but it was Harnessed the Storm who really hit me HARD.

Digital Tsunami is one of my favorite tracks, so much emotion put in it...It started my love affair with Drexciya & Co. !

Listening to the repress and reminded how gooooood this album is. I totally agree it can take some one to settle into enjoying this properly. When I first heard it in 2001 I was super into my crazy IDM discovery mode and its simplicity actually turned me off. A couple years later and I felt like an idiot dismissing it before.

Legendary stuff, RIP James Stinson

For anyone who's an obsessive completitionist like me - the Transllusion 12" repress, Mind Over Positive and Negative Dimensional Energy, is becoming very difficult to find. Every other repress still seems to be in healthy stock, but they probably didn't press a lot of those.

I know right? I can't understand the hype over this thing, other than it was released on Warp. It's just dull.

Archived