IGNORED

the Day for Night aphex twin 12"

Ivan Ooze

I think Ivan described it best as mass murder in the club music. I've never been a huge fan of straight up rave tracks but this one goes hard as hell and does a great job of morphing subtly throughout to create momentum and appears to build for a ridiculous 10+ minutes. The humming buzz and those tribal drums with the fluctuating volume and oscillation death rays gives it an intense vibe. Every time I listen to it I listen to it full blast and it's great. Another seemingly simple track that slowly builds into a mesmerizing groove is Acrid Avid Jam Shred. Of course I like the more convoluted composition with twists and turns and intertwined melodies, etc. but this is more abrasive, intense side to Aphex that's always welcome too. Especially when it's this unrelenting. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ok. Probably going to sell mine after seeing what they're going for, wow...

Hopefully you didn't open it to listen to it and grabbed the rip instead. Although I'm sure an open copy would also sell for quite a bit. What's the highest they're going for now? I saw a few go for like $250.

*moved posts to the right thread*

Also, too bad to hear about more discogs-fodder exclusiveness even though the idea of special releases per gig is cool. Might be good to reconsider watmm's stance on allowing rips of these then? I deleted / hid links to the rip of the Houston 12" so far (with a proper release of them in mind), but this changes things maybe?

Also, too bad to hear about more discogs-fodder exclusiveness even though the idea of special releases per gig is cool. Might be good to reconsider watmm's stance on allowing rips of these then? I deleted / hid links to the rip of the Houston 12" so far (with a proper release of them in mind), but this changes things maybe?

total bum but would be funny if he put it on soundcloud after the gigs

in the mean time i'm happy with a decent vinyl rip, new fuckin music yo guys :beer:

in the mean time i'm happy with a decent vinyl rip, new fuckin music yo guys :beer:

Yea, as long as someone can execute a proper quality rip of these. The rip I currently have of the Day for Night 12" is atrocious. 

If one was to properly play their cards with this in mind they could ostensibly pay for all the costs associated with seeing Aphex Twin shows simply by attending them.

Yea, as long as someone can execute a proper quality rip of these. The rip I currently have of the Day for Night 12" is atrocious. 

we prob all got the same rip and i tought the same like you at first but it sounds great on speakers when you screw the volume knob whole the way up

If one was to properly play their cards with this in mind they could ostensibly pay for all the costs associated with seeing Aphex Twin shows simply by attending them.

Yeah, that's pretty fucking cool. Unfortunately, however, it looks like the scalpers have caught on and obtaining one of the 400 copies or so that will be available is probably gonna be a lot harder at subsequent shows.

Have I committed a faux pas? I mean, I actually want the record for the record itself, not to resell it on Discogs or the like. Really not sure how else I could get a copy as I don't plan to physically attend the European fests...

Not sure if he was assuming you were gonna sell it or what. If someone could get their hands on a couple copies and hook you up for double the price that would be cool. Although I recall someone saying there was a 1 copy per person limit on these exclusives anyways right? If that's the case I could see how making $250-400 for a copy would be a better deal for a WATMMer that doesn't own a record player and came out of pocket to attend the show. Good luck though, I'm sure there's a few golden hearts out there that might do you a big favor if they can.

Rich on SC:

the other ones planned.

2360c96c1a.png

Rich on SC:

user18081971 says at 3:12:

@wildblunthickok: i t wont be released again in my lifetime anyway, it was just for that gig only like the other ones planned.

Does that mean: other white lables planned at coming gigs?

Or simply new planned releases through warp? Both?

Thinking it's the first, btw.

Rich on SC:

user18081971 says at 3:12:

@wildblunthickok: i t wont be released again in my lifetime anyway, it was just for that gig only like the other ones planned.

Does that mean: other white lables planned at coming gigs?

Or simply new planned releases through warp? Both?

Thinking it's the first, btw.

I think it's the first too. Next-level merch that serves as a cool collectable for diehard fans and a financial opportunity for broke motherfuckers alike.

it's a cute idea. still hoping he'll also explore the bleepstores thingy and go digital with it. vinyl for the happy few. and digital tunage for the rest of us lower lifeforms. (kill the ebay market! it's about the music, not the money!)

*awaits some anti-entitlement comment*

it's a cute idea. still hoping he'll also explore the bleepstores thingy and go digital with it. vinyl for the happy few. and digital tunage for the rest of us lower lifeforms. (kill the ebay market! it's about the music, not the money!)

*awaits some anti-entitlement comment*

100% with you on this.

a bleep store similar to what Autechre have would be great. It would also be cool if he just uploaded them (and made them downloadable) to soundcloud after touring is complete (although I don't expect it from him). Don't really give a shit about what's happening with the ebay market, just so long as at least one owner uploads a quality rip for the dirty heathens like myself. 

would love to hear his thoughts on it. although, I'd prolly have to start posting on his soundcloud for that. don't think he's going to come out of his vault especially for us watmm folks.

guessing watmm is more like a guilty pleasure for his royalty. ;-)

Archived