IGNORED

Run The Jewels - RTJ3

Perezvon

Pretty good stuff.  I give it a 7.8 out of 10 after a couple listens.

Lyrics all sounding good, beats have that El-P bump, but nothing sensational or wild about them.  He has the ability to BLOW YOU AWAY with his stuff, didn't exactly happen this time to me.  And I expect that with any of his releases.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got to absorb this in my car and running. It is def better than my initial impressions. I think it definitely has some of El-P’s best production yet. Even amongst his solo stuff, his beat and production work on this is through the roof. I think it could have been shorter and a bit tighter. Maybe 4 tracks could have been an EP but that is really nit-picking. 

01 Down – pretty meh on this one. Kind of a weak / soft opener, especially compared to the way the first 2 records start

02 Talk to Me – pretty good. Almost run the jewels by the numbers though. I like the end a lot

03 Legend Has It –  this one kind of drifts by too. Nothing bad. Nothing special. Cool beat.

04 Call Ticketron – finally. This is rtj shit. Probably my fav beat on the album and mike’s 3rd verse or so, the shama lama shit. That is super nice.

05 Hey Kids (Bumaye) [ft. Danny Brown] – absolute trash. Danny brown sounds like a dumpster fire. What a waste of a beat.

06 Stay Gold – decent. Again ia little rtj formulaic. That’s not a bad thing, but it just kind of drifts by again. Not a fan of the chorus. Beat is super nice though.

07 Don’t Get Captured – This is awesome. Probably some of Mike’s best verse’s on the album. This is the killer mike that makes me want to put on a ski mask and rob shit. Super sick beat too. Almost has like old 808 drum sounds. Old school action but nasty synths underneath. “you aint gonna need that chain. You aint gonna need that rang. You aint gonna need them thangs” fuckin a.

08 Thieves! (Screamed the Ghost) [ft. Tunde Adebimpe] – I love the way this track transitions from the last one. More killer production work. Feels dark and awesome. Love this one too

09 2100 [ft. Boots] – another A+ production. The way the beat comes in is one of those hit rewind moments. El-p wraps his rhymes around that stutter snare intro and then the beat crushes. Love that type of shit. I swear he has some old moog or old synth on a lot of these. Most of the synth work sounds really warm and analog to me. I love it.

10 Panther Like a Panther (Miracle Mix) [ft. Trina] – another fire beat. This is more of what I expect. Sounds like the RTJ I love. I noticed every time I ran I was almost double my normal pace when this was on. “I got banana dick yo, bitches go ape shit when they eat it” flol. Genius.

11 Everybody Stay Calm – more slower and darker awesome stuff. The synths in this are just disgusting. So much of the background stuff in a lot of these is A+.

12 Oh Mama – again, the synths. Super dope. Same type of slower paced stuff. Dig it.

13 Thursday in the Danger Room [ft. Kamasi Washington] – ok track. Almost sounds like a reprise or something.

14 Report to the Shareholders/Kill Your Masters – super super dope beats and production. Id kill to hear more stuff like this. Progressive stuff. The change up in the middle is super nasty.

Overall, the second half is much more my speed. If I had to rank them, I would say this would be 3rd out of the 3. But beat and production-wise. This is number 1 by miles. I def would like to hear these instrumentals.

13 Thursday in the Danger Room [ft. Kamasi Washington] – ok track. Almost sounds like a reprise or something.

the verses on this one really hit me in the feels though

'Report to the Shareholders/Kill Your Masters' was a hell of a closer

08 Thieves! (Screamed the Ghost) [ft. Tunde Adebimpe] – I love the way this track transitions from the last one. More killer production work. Feels dark and awesome. Love this one too

this was the first song to really hit me; i actually found myself nodding to that beat (not to mention a few killer quotables)

also loved the beat on '2100'. btw: on 'panther like a panther' was that trina tha baddest bitch?

gotta agree with jules that the second half (from track 8 onwards for me) is when i really started feeling this record. before that i was just meh

also, really enjoyed 'thursday in the danger room' although i wish it was more in vein of 'intrigue in the house of india'

Another great one from Jaime and Mike... 2nd half is definitely a bit stronger, but I don't think there's any track that's particularly bad. The beats and production are super on-point, Panther Like A Panther is such a banger! I feel like lyrically El kinda shined a little more than Mike on this one, not to say that Mike's verses were bad by any means, I just think El really came through on this one.

after one listen I thought it was fine, nothing really jumped out at me though, doesn't really seem to bring much new to the table. will give it a few more listens before I decide what I really think though.

panther like a panther hot damn.

I tried not to let RTJ2 influence me in listening to this - it's a different story (tough though, RTJ2 was fucking ridiculously good).

"I don't study war no more, i don't hate the poor no more"

Anyways, the production on this is on point, some of El-P's best shit going.

This is almost exclusively what I've been listening to for the past week. And I've been a fan of El-P's work since right after high school, starting with Cannibal Ox and his debut solo album, Fantastic Damage.

They maintain their usual aggressive approach, but the album still has so much depth, raw emotion, and relevance to today's affairs. Honestly not sure whether any other hip hop from the past year are on par with RTJ, aside from the latest Tribe.

This might be my favorite one yet production wise. 2016 was sorely lacking in great hip hop save for a couple of releases for me, so it's great to kick 2017 off right with such a badass album. Praise RTJ

• 3 months later...

I love this album. Definitely super impressed with the beats, and some of the verses are just perfect. I love how direct they are with their approach. I think my favorite moment of the album is when El-P's vocal style goes all Rage Against the Machine in the very last verse of the album. I gotta give RTJ2 a relisten, because this one is just awesome.

Archived