IGNORED

Amazon Echo

BCM

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so many potential uses i've been thinking about for this: like hooked up to some kind of wifi doorbell and able to unlock your front door when asked, some sort of security feature that guards your home when you're out, maybe connected to a wifi camera...real time translation would be cool too. maybe voice controlled banking, but that could be dangerous i suppose...perhaps just checking your balance or something. i keep asking for alexa's opinion of things too, but she claims not to have one.

lol

I just bought the Ring! so I can have a look at who's at my front door. And when I buy a new front door I'll buy the August Door Lock so I can unlock and lock my front door via my iPhone - also simply when I approach the door. I'd also be able to give people timed keys via the app.

I want everything to be connected! Hell, my new sous vide machine has an app so I can start it when I'm not at home.

I still can't get siri to call my wife, because her name isn't written in English, but the OS language is English. Fucking stupid.

Just ask Siri, "Who's my wife?" and then it'll go, "I don't fucking know?" and then you get to choose her from a list. Then from now on you can simply say, "Call my wife".

I still can't get siri to call my wife, because her name isn't written in English, but the OS language is English. Fucking stupid.

Just ask Siri, "Who's my wife?" and then it'll go, "I don't fucking know?" and then you get to choose her from a list. Then from now on you can simply say, "Call my wife".

Doesn't work, Siri won't recognize languages that aren't at least based on Latin alphabet.

Doesn't work, Siri won't recognize languages that aren't at least based on Latin alphabet.

OOoooh! So it's the alphabet that fucks Siri up... huh? I don't have any bright ideas how to circumvent that problem.

I don't think there are any. Siri is just functionally retarded.

"Siri,why do you choose to ignore half the world's population?"

Just does a web search for why people ignore other people.

Then when I ask her why she's so stupid she just says "I try to be good".

Just put her in your phone as "my wife"?

She has a name, which I like to use, cause she's not an object?

I could use the Romanization, but why should i have to, technology is supposed to work for us, not inconvenience us. Luckily the only time I ever need hands free is when I'm in the car, and I know where she is in the directory (on another tech issue, the car OS does not support 2-byte languages, fucking ridiculous) so it's not really a huge problem to call her there.

It would still be better to be able to speak though, because using the directory on the car system means I have to move my eyes from the road.

the chinese alexa knockoff is [at least the male version] called ding dong.

they have to have a separate one for mandarin and cantonese. that's how big languages are. so it's a first world problem if you are not basically calling out 'penis' to alexa to address it, and can only access half [?]the language of your country.

Me: Hey Siri! Send text to Ja...

*bing*

Me: Send text...

Siri: I'm sorry I didn't get that. Could you repeat that?

Me: Send text to Jamie.

Siri: Send text to Janet. Is that correct?

Me: No. Send...

*bing*

Me: Send text to...

Siri: Ok, playing songs by Amy Winehouse.

Me: ?

i agree that caution/skepticism with these products is healthy. it's a mistake to view the purpose of state or private surveillance as being solely intended to catch deviants and trouble makers. beyond the stasi gas lighting and public image destruction that phling mentioned, we should also be concerned with how information about our behaviors enables other parties to manipulate our fears/values/goals etc. to strengthen their own objectives. paranoia of that sort of manipulation is no longer a tin hat affair in an age where almost all of our perspective comes from the internet and memes can decide who wins elections.

'they have no interest in me' is an older/out of touch way of thinking imo. reminds me of a history teacher i had in high school cautioning us about investing in companies like google bc they provided a free service with no product. this was cpl years post net bubble, so naturally he was suspicious. but what he didn't really realize was that the users are the product.

all that data that is being gathered and the models they are able to make of us will likely be (already is?) more accurate about who you are than you would care to admit to yourself. it's an incredible amount of power we are giving up.

anyone bothered to opt out etc? it's not too hard and something like 0.1% has bothered. lol, idiots.

i've been opting out of almost everything since i worked at a tracking/advertising tech startup. they call [opt outers] 'them' and everyone else 'us' go opt out ffs!

Archived