IGNORED

Making Electronic Music in 2017 and Beyond - WHY?

Guest Ralph Nolte

i thought about just eating ice cream until i die. 

also, thought about selling everything and spending my time flying drones as a means to piss people off and draw them into arguments about stuff.. because that's basically how cycling in a city feels these days.. 

maybe i'll stop music and cycling and just eat icecream, fly drones and get the diabeetus. i'm american.. isnt' that what i'm suppsed to do? 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like synths- amongst the masses, presets are king.  That being said, I also use default ringtones.  I don't want my phone to play the Enter The Dragon theme every time I get a text message about whatever.

Also, the default alarms are quite good.  So good that it's sort of hard to wake up, cuz I listen to the jamz.

I think it's become kind of dorky to change your ringtone, it's like those guys that customize every goddamn thing on their Windows desktop and build up these cheesy custom themes like it's some kind of achievement. 

A few months ago I was on the bus and this guy had changed his text message notification sound to a gun loading a round in a chamber and firing it. And it was getting a lot of texts and had his sound up all the way. I wanted to sock him in the face but I figured it was likely that he was packing anyway so it was just as well that I went on my merry way to work. 

I use two of the classic Windows sound effects (chord.wav and tada.wav) for my notification sounds and a dial-up modem for my ringtone... so you might hate me if I was on the bus with you. Fortunately, I don't get many calls.

Ha, I would've smiled knowingly at the tada.wav. A couple years ago I helped a buddy get the AOL "You've got mail" sample set up as his ringtone and it was amusing for quite a while.

The guy who made the Devil Fish mods was talking about the psychoacoustics of analog signals, particularly with regards to how capacitors do not discharge their energy completely when receiving different response curves (like repeating high frequencies and resonance), mimic that of a distressed animal cry and that there is a primal attraction to that sound. You could probably write a whole set of books on the topic.

Could you point me in the direction of said interview?

The guy who made the Devil Fish mods was talking about the psychoacoustics of analog signals, particularly with regards to how capacitors do not discharge their energy completely when receiving different response curves (like repeating high frequencies and resonance), mimic that of a distressed animal cry and that there is a primal attraction to that sound. You could probably write a whole set of books on the topic.

Unfortunately not. This was back in 1999-2001 or so.

The last time I changed my ringtone was during season one of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It was the mind laser quote:

Fuck, that episode is hilarious.  Not even playing the video brings back memories of cracking up until I was kicked into another dimension.

Money is boring...

BTW I read somewhere that deadmau5 said something about this - he makes his cheezy stuff because it sells and makes him money but he really loves creating synth heavy music that no one buys.

Ergo you do x to create $$$ and you do y for your real passion.

• 5 weeks later...

But aren't there much easier ways to make money than trying to be a popular artist and you won't compromise your artistic integrity or whatever?

I mean if you just want to make money to support your art I don't think making pop music is the best way at least income stability and stresswise.

This brings back a memory: around that same time I was in my university computer lab using their internet connection (couldn't afford one at home back then, so I actually got things done in those days) found an abstract for a study a some research group in Japan published in '88 or '89, and the basic idea was that they used real time EEG monitoring to demonstrate that the human brain responds measurably differently to analog and digital signals that are not audibly different.

Didn't have the presence of mind to write down anything an I don't remember anything identifying that would help me find it again and eventually I gave up trying to find it again.

Turns out I had the decade wrong and it's a lot easier to find stuff on the Internet than it was a decade ago, because here it is.

Not exactly what I remembered but still pretty interesting, thanks for inspiring me to track it down finally!

This brings back a memory: around that same time I was in my university computer lab using their internet connection (couldn't afford one at home back then, so I actually got things done in those days) found an abstract for a study a some research group in Japan published in '88 or '89, and the basic idea was that they used real time EEG monitoring to demonstrate that the human brain responds measurably differently to analog and digital signals that are not audibly different.

Didn't have the presence of mind to write down anything an I don't remember anything identifying that would help me find it again and eventually I gave up trying to find it again.

Turns out I had the decade wrong and it's a lot easier to find stuff on the Internet than it was a decade ago, because here it is.

Not exactly what I remembered but still pretty interesting, thanks for inspiring me to track it down finally!

Interesting, have not read the whole article yet but I wonder if this explains to some degree why old samplers that lack anti-aliasing filters and have artifacts way up there often sound more musical and alive than high quality interpolation.

Interesting, have not read the whole article yet but I wonder if this explains to some degree why old samplers that lack anti-aliasing filters and have artifacts way up there often sound more musical and alive than high quality interpolation.

I played a good Balinese gamelan for about 3 years (the bass player in my band was staff at MIT and got us in to their gamelan ensemble) and I can definitely vouch for there being some kind of VERY pronounced psychoacoustic business going on with those instruments (that were developed over centuries of trial and error to produce trance states in listeners) that simply doesn't happen with any recording I have ever heard, no matter how well recorded nor how good the playback system.

Archived