IGNORED

Making Electronic Music in 2017 and Beyond - WHY?

Guest Ralph Nolte

Guest Ralph Nolte
Hey everyone, greetings from Southern Africa and Happy 2017!

But enough with the pleasantries, let me get to the point...

Serious musicians, studio owners, established artists, bedroom producers, hobbyists, enthusiasts, freelancers, pro, amateur - whatever you call yourself, how do you see ANY kind of future creating electronic music for anything else than "for the love of it" going forward?

CDs are dead, digital (paid) downloads are dying, streaming is paying less than peanuts, vinyl is just a fad and "going on tour / playing live" is not a practical option for everyone. Maybe if you've been working in a field like TV, film or advertising you might make some money - but for everyone else, especially those starting out from scratch? What's the point - except to be able to say "I've made some tracks and they're available on the interwebs"...?

Let's assume you're fine with not actually earning anything from your work - what would be the rewards, the payoff for you? And how do you go about just establishing an appreciative audience for your music? I know this has been discussed previously here at WATMM and on other forums, but what still worked a couple of years ago might no longer be feasible right now. I know the mantras of putting your stuff on SoundCloud, Bandcamp, YouTube, etc. and working social media to grow your supposed fanbase - but in the end it seems only luck really determines if any significant number of people find (let alone "support") your music... I know, I know, there have always been struggling musicians who couldn't make a living with their art and still toiled in obscurity - but is this where we are basically still stuck in this day and age? Are the only people making money in music today those who run the music schools, produce DAW tutorials/courses, program plugins or presets, compile "sound packs", write/produce for mainstream mass-media, work for / are shareholders in one of the big labels or who specialize in copyright lawsuits - with actual creatives existing on the fringes of all this.

It's obviously the best of times to be a consumer of music - as you can get basically everything for free with just a bit of googling or youtubing. But even so, how is the current situation sustainable? People still enjoy the experience of music, but mostly won't pay for it. And many (possibly crazy) people still love creating music - maybe getting an upvote or nice comment here & there - but have no realistic hope of ever making a cent out of it all...

Thoughts?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet never before have so many people made music that I love. The list of 'albums that I think are a works of pure genious' doubles nearly every year. Electronic music is, despite what many people think or hope, moving even more to the 'hobby' instead of the 'professional' side of the arts spectrum. And I'm lovin' it.

Hey everyone, greetings from Southern Africa and Happy 2017!
But enough with the pleasantries, let me get to the point...

Serious musicians, studio owners, established artists, bedroom producers, hobbyists, enthusiasts, freelancers, pro, amateur - whatever you call yourself, how do you see ANY kind of future creating electronic music for anything else than "for the love of it" going forward?

CDs are dead, digital (paid) downloads are dying, streaming is paying less than peanuts, vinyl is just a fad and "going on tour / playing live" is not a practical option for everyone. Maybe if you've been working in a field like TV, film or advertising you might make some money - but for everyone else, especially those starting out from scratch? What's the point - except to be able to say "I've made some tracks and they're available on the interwebs"...?

Let's assume you're fine with not actually earning anything from your work - what would be the rewards, the payoff for you? And how do you go about just establishing an appreciative audience for your music? I know this has been discussed previously here at WATMM and on other forums, but what still worked a couple of years ago might no longer be feasible right now. I know the mantras of putting your stuff on SoundCloud, Bandcamp, YouTube, etc. and working social media to grow your supposed fanbase - but in the end it seems only luck really determines if any significant number of people find (let alone "support") your music... I know, I know, there have always been struggling musicians who couldn't make a living with their art and still toiled in obscurity - but is this where we are basically still stuck in this day and age? Are the only people making money in music today those who run the music schools, produce DAW tutorials/courses, program plugins or presets, compile "sound packs", write/produce for mainstream mass-media, work for / are shareholders in one of the big labels or who specialize in copyright lawsuits - with actual creatives existing on the fringes of all this.

It's obviously the best of times to be a consumer of music - as you can get basically everything for free with just a bit of googling or youtubing. But even so, how is the current situation sustainable? People still enjoy the experience of music, but mostly won't pay for it. And many (possibly crazy) people still love creating music - maybe getting an upvote or nice comment here & there - but have no realistic hope of ever making a cent out of it all...

Thoughts?

How is any of this only applicable to electronic music?

I make it because I become increasingly intolerable if I don't.

At this point I don't care about making money off it, as long as I get to show it to a couple of friends and play it loud in a bar every now and then.

Guest bitroast

I make it because I become increasingly intolerable if I don't.

At this point I don't care about making money off it, as long as I get to show it to a couple of friends and play it loud in a bar every now and then.

but WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ?

Guest Ralph Nolte

Sure, the whole "music industry" has a problem - in fact, anything that can be digitally reproduced is potentially affected.

But WATMM is primarily about electronic music, is it not?

What's the point - except to be able to say "I've made some tracks and they're available on the interwebs"...? Let's assume you're fine with not actually earning anything from your work - what would be the rewards, the payoff for you? 

And how do you go about just establishing an appreciative audience for your music?

The process, challenge and meditative feeling of creation. To create something beautiful. To exorcise my unconscious. To listen back to something that you've created and know that no-one has ever heard this before (even if it's shit). To connect with others who might understand/appreciate what you've done. To maybe even make a quid or two out of it...

How does anyone establish an audience? Create some fucking great work and share it. If you create something undeniably amazing you won't struggle for listeners or money (probably...)

Sure, the whole "music industry" has a problem - in fact, anything that can be digitally reproduced is potentially affected.

Yes it is. But throughout your entire diatribe, you're going on and on about electronic music.

I think the whole thing is a hell of a lot more nuanced than you seem to think, for example - there is a thriving cassette renaissance at the moment.

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure I can be bold enough to say that every single musician here on WATMM makes music because they are deeply passionate about it. So at the end of the day, none of the points in your argument mean very much.

Guest Ralph Nolte

Yes it is. But throughout your entire diatribe, you're going on and on about electronic music.

I think the whole thing is a hell of a lot more nuanced than you seem to think, for example - there is a thriving cassette renaissance at the moment.

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure I can be bold enough to say that every single musician here on WATMM makes music because they are deeply passionate about it. So at the end of the day, none of the points in your argument mean very much.

Diatribe? Sorry to have left you with that impression...

But I'm not here to pick a fight or win an argument - I'm genuinely interested to hear from the WATMM community about this topic (which I'm also passionate about).

Diatribe? Sorry to have left you with that impression...

But I'm not here to pick a fight or win an argument - I'm genuinely interested to hear from the WATMM community about this topic (which I'm also passionate about).

Maybe diatribe was the wrong word...

I dunno...just seems like this is the wrong place to bring up monetary concerns. So many talented people here make music, and it seems like they're not really concerned with making money.

I'm sure many here have aspirations to be signed to their favourite label, for instance. Or to be able to get their album pressed to vinyl (funny that you mention it's a fad - I've been collecting now for nearly 10 years, and still going strong). I don't think making a shit ton of cash is the aspiration for many here.

Sorry if my tone was uncouth. Welcome to WATMM, enjoy the memes and lols. And of course, the music.

if u r a tru artist u ask yrself that question every day

"why am i still alive? why haven't i killed myself rather than keep living thru pain?"

but then you make a track and u remember "this is why i'm alive."

and if u are still doing it in 2017 u either very delusional or what your doing is working

(or both)

there are lot's of serious musicians who aren't making a living on it. lot's of great tunes get into the world from these people. 

if your goal is to make money then pick a different job. get into banking or real estate speculation. make a bunch of money then retire young and enjoy your hobbies. 

there are lot's of serious musicians who aren't making a living on it. lot's of great tunes get into the world from these people. 

if your goal is to make money then pick a different job. get into banking or real estate speculation. make a bunch of money then retire young and enjoy your hobbies. 

Answer to the thread right here right now

Guest bitroast

anyone who goes into making electronic music in 2017 and beyond, with the sole purpose of making lots of money and to be successful ... is probably delusional.

people make music cos they wanna :^) 

anyone who goes into making electronic music in 2017 and beyond, with the sole purpose of making lots of money and to be successful ... is probably delusional.

people make music cos they wanna :^) 

lol great avatar choice.

Guest Ralph Nolte

Maybe diatribe was the wrong word...

I dunno...just seems like this is the wrong place to bring up monetary concerns. So many talented people here make music, and it seems like they're not really concerned with making money.

I'm sure many here have aspirations to be signed to their favourite label, for instance. Or to be able to get their album pressed to vinyl (funny that you mention it's a fad - I've been collecting now for nearly 10 years, and still going strong). I don't think making a shit ton of cash is the aspiration for many here.

Sorry if my tone was uncouth. Welcome to WATMM, enjoy the memes and lols. And of course, the music.

Thanks for the welcome oscillik :)

And I personally don't think that music should be all about the money - clearly it has to be about something else in light of the current "business trends"...
But getting signed by a label or having an album pressed no longer means what it did just a few years ago, when there was still a chance of earning some kind of living out of your success as a musician. Now it seems to mostly be about the personal satisfaction one gets out of the creative process and eventually hearing the end-product. As for total audience, is a small circle of fans consisting of closest mates and family really good enough for most WATMM musicians? Why then spend any time and effort marketing yourself to a wider group of potential listeners (when you could rather be creating more music instead)?

About vinyl being a fad: I grew up with LPs and was one of those who re-bought most of their collection when CDs appeared on the scene... Of course vinyl and cassettes will be a niche market for some music fans, but personally I don't miss the surface noise and tape hiss. Electronic music especially lends itself to digital reproduction, since that is its "home turf" so to speak.

And it does seem that most of those commenting are resigned to the fact of doing this for the love of music (nothing wrong with that I must add).
But is there ANYONE here who actually sees some other approach to this in the near future?

i have no answers to this, but i think it is a valid concern.

do you think autechre would be at the level they are at creatively if they had instead just been making music in their spare time outside of their day jobs? no way.

so does that mean from this point forward we will no longer have artists who are able to devote full time to their art and thereby reach a deep level of artistry and move their art form forward? instead all artists will just be hobbyists who are able to create only when not working for the man all day? depressing to think about.

Archived