• Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
    • Datach'i - System
    • David Bowie - Blackstar
    • Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
    • Demdike Stare - Wonderland
    • EOD - EODS
    • Future Sound Of London - Environment 6
    • Gold Panda - Good Luck And Do Your Best
    • Huerco S. - For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
    • Ital Tek - Hollowed
    • Jega - 1995
    • Konx-Om-Pax - Caramel
    • Kuedo - Slow Knife
    • Lone - Levitate
    • Machinedrum - Human Energy
    • Mark Pritchard - Under The Sun
    • Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep Of Reason
    • Odd Nosdam - Sisters
    • Oval - Popp
    • Patten - Ψ
    • Pilotredsun - Achievement
    • Plaid - The Digging Remedy
    • Pye Corner Audio - Stasis
    • Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    • Roly Porter - Third Law
    • Swans - The Glowing Man
    • The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time
    • The Orb - COW / Chill Out, World!
    • Underworld - Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future
    • Venetian Snares - Traditional Synthesizer Music

gotta say allowing only 1 vote per person when there's already a clear winner from the getgo isn't the best of ideas

it would go to elseq anyway. if multiple votes had been allowed, it would've simply been a reflection of the nominations, and elseq was cited like 20+ times. (AMSP and Banny Drown were next.) I figured it'd be more interesting to have people decide on one individually and see if elseq was really what they wanted to go for.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be cool if there were different polls tbh. Album of the year is cool, but it would be nice to have newcomer of the year, metal album of the year, etc. And also in General have like best TV show of the year, Best movie (by genres), best TV villain, etc. 

EDIT: Not the greatest example but something akin to this: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=b57059a7af68659758a35b32e1f27570

Would be cool if there were different polls tbh. Album of the year is cool, but it would be nice to have newcomer of the year, metal album of the year, etc. And also in General have like best TV show of the year, Best movie (by genres), best TV villain, etc. 

EDIT: Not the greatest example but something akin to this: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=b57059a7af68659758a35b32e1f27570

agreed, so hard to rank things that are so vastly different. best soundscape, best shredding guitar riff, best mindmelting beats... it's much easier to rank specifics than on a broad spectrum.

The Fall of Troy - OK is probably #1 of the year for me but obviously that'd never get any votes on a WATMM poll.

Plaid gets my vote from the poll.

Maybe it's just you I heard it from, but i've definitely heard this sentiment echoed elsewhere before. I don't really get it. As far as I can tell it's an album, the only thing that kind of "complicates" it is that it's broken up into 5 different parts and the track lengths often exceed 10 or even 20 minutes at times. But there's no abundantly clear stylistic departure from one part to the next. It's an album. It's a long ass album, but it's just an album.

I guess I'm just caught up on the idea of an album in the traditional sense. 4.5 hours pushes it a bit for me. Plus Ae themselves don't call it an album - doesn't follow their naming format, didn't have a physical release, etc. Plus I do think it stands for 'edited live sequences', which if we're counting those then I think AE_LIVE should count too. Or was that 2015? At any rate, I dunno. Just complicated to classify I supppose. Still fucking great though.

gotta say allowing only 1 vote per person when there's already a clear winner from the getgo isn't the best of ideas

it would go to elseq anyway.

AOTY on WATMM is essentially "best featured artist release of the year" with few exceptions, the interesting picks are the top runner ups.

Tough pick for me this year, a lot of excellent releases. Just getting down to a couple dozen favorites was difficult.

that album was pretty boring I thought

From the nominations thread, I'd say at least two other members would disagree with that assessment...

Either way, plenty of good stuff to choose from, to each his own.

that album was pretty boring I thought

From the nominations thread, I'd say at least two other members would disagree with that assessment...

Either way, plenty of good stuff to choose from, to each his own.

Great album

angel olsen in the watmm poll.

what the fuck? Whitney I could have understood, but angel olsen?

next we will see frankie cosmos, julien baker?

Why is all the good ambient/downtempo album this year missing in the poll?

Archived