Norway Is Abandoning FM And Going All Digital

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/06/508501366/norway-will-be-first-country-to-shut-down-fm-network-go-all-digital

The Norwegian government also says that digital radio is less likely to fail in extreme conditions, which lawmakers saw as an advantage for emergency preparedness.

The CEO of Digitalradio Norway says the country's FM network is antiquated and would need massive investments to maintain — so, to allow investment in digital radio, the FM network needs to be shut down.

But NPR's Frank Langfitt reports that the public in general isn't happy about the decision to abandon FM entirely.

"A recent poll shows that two-thirds of Norwegians are against ditching FM," he reports.

"Among the concerns: people may miss warnings for emergencies that are broadcast on FM.

"In addition, two million cars in Norway — a country of just five million people — don't have digital audio broadcasting receivers.
"A digital adapter for an FM car radio costs about $170."

Reuters reports that the shutdown of FM signals will begin in the northern city of Bodø on Jan. 11, and extend across the country by the end of the year.

Some local stations, however, will continue to transmit over FM signals until 2022, The Local reports.

Oh course it's a Scandinavian country that's stuck 20 years in the future compared to the rest of the world. For better or for worse I suppose.

Edited by Brisbot

Makes sense. It would be like the transition from VHS to DVDs at the turn of the millennium. The world can eventually phase out FM radio, so long as we keep FM synthesis.

Will this open up the FM bands for pirate radio stations? Would be cool if a new scene emerges.

that'd be interesting

Will this open up the FM bands for pirate radio stations? Would be cool if a new scene emerges.

Maintaining the FM transmitters is apparently expensive as hell, on the scale of a few hundred million NOK a year IIRC. So unfortunately no.

Maintaining the FM transmitters is apparently expensive as hell, on the scale of a few hundred million NOK a year IIRC. So unfortunately no.

:sad:

This will probably happen worldwide in time. Sad to see FM go. Such an amazing format. How about AM? The home of shortwave communications, numbers stations, spooky EVP transmissions. As a kid I was blown away to be able to listen to stations from half the world away.

This will probably happen worldwide in time. Sad to see FM go. Such an amazing format. How about AM? The home of shortwave communications, numbers stations, spooky EVP transmissions. As a kid I was blown away to be able to listen to stations from half the world away.

Yeah I'm wondering about this too. I suppose with FM and perhaps AM stations eventually going away, will those frequencies be opened up for radio operators/enthusiasts? 

The idea of pirate radio and people using old tuners/radios seems fun. I'd be bummed if they go all digital here in the states TBH all of my radios and tuners at home are old thrift store finds.

Personally I can't stand FM anymore as HD radio sounds so much clearer and better - I can always tell when my car radio switches from HD to FM when the HD signal gets blocked occasionally.

when the HD signal gets blocked occasionally.

which happens because most digital stuff runs on higher frequencies, so it doesn't travel as far and doesn't penetrate buildings and other obstacles nearly as well. Might be clearer, but you need to be able to receive it to start with!

Seems a bit "Cash for Clunkers" upgrading for its own sake to me, don't really see the point in actually shutting down FM transmitters unless there are massive savings to be made from doing so

when the HD signal gets blocked occasionally.

which happens because most digital stuff runs on higher frequencies, so it doesn't travel as far and doesn't penetrate buildings and other obstacles nearly as well. Might be clearer, but you need to be able to receive it to start with!

Seems a bit "Cash for Clunkers" upgrading for its own sake to me, don't really see the point in actually shutting down FM transmitters unless there are massive savings to be made from doing so

I'm going to guess freeing up the radio frequency bands is one of the reasons. Digital transfer generally requires less bandwidht than the analog modulation. Plus you can compress the data to require even less. 

And since every communication is becoming wireless the free frequency bands are badly needed. Also the government can sell the licenses for the bands that have been freed to make some money.

The only Norwegian radio you actually need is Raaadio Fenriiiiiiiiiiz

Looking forward to 20 years from now when we'll go back to FM for the "warmer sound".

lol

Edited by Leon Sumbitches

pirates still run FM transmitters in the uk [sometimes covering the whole of london etc] - so i am sure Norway can too

more likely or not they'll sell the bandwidth in the fm spectrum to telecomms so it will be full of netflix and facebook data rather than idm.

• 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By thawkins
      https://detund.bandcamp.com/album/ab

I found this album while going through a poll for best Estonian album released in 2017. While most of the stuff there was basically usual suspects and boring hipster pop, this double LP (running length 2x37 minutes) is to me personally a jaw dropping pearl and I was instantly hooked.
      The concept is actually not a new one - trying to marry classical instruments and electronics, but it is really rare to see it executed so tastefully and dynamically as Taavi and Kristjan in this case have. There are step sequencers, but they are guided by the warm and loving hands of a human, so they do not force themselves nor do they attempt to dictate the mood in the same way that a repeating melody in a traditional house or techno track would. On the analog/classical yang, opposite of the electronics' ying, the woodwinds/brass/flutes/what have you do not stand alone, trying awkwardly to make friends with some metronome - instead somehow they manage to keep up a very dynamic and interesting dance, slowing down and speeding up.
      I think this album achieves what many attempts to combine traditional instruments and modern electronics do not - the music sounds raw, alive and very dynamic, but at the same time avoids using too many tropes associated with either classical or electronic music.

In my opinion it's one of the most interesting and innovative albums I have heard in the past 4-5 years. This has probably a lot to do with my personal taste, but I felt the need to share this thing nevertheless. I hope there's people here who will enjoy it as much as I did!
    • By splesh
      In the merchandise section of the AE_STORE website, one of the items they had for sale (before it sold out) was a screen print based on the artwork for elseq. Here is the blurb, emphasis in boldface mine:

"AS PART OF TDR™'S 30 BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS THEY HAVE PRODUCED A VERY LIMITED EDITION TDR™ elseq 1 – 21 PRINT, WHICH COMPILES ALL OF THE TDR™ DESIGNED BUNDLE AND TRACK ARTWORK FOR THE DIGITAL RELEASES, UNAVAILABLE AS A COMPLETE SET ELSEWHERE."

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/merch/74580-the-designers-republic-ae-elseq-1-21-tdr-86-16

This seems to suggest that there may be future installments of elseq ahead! Perhaps some of the sounds we've been hearing in the live sets of their one-six tour!
    • By kichiguy
      Format: 2LP, CD Release Date: 23 Sept, 2016 Preorder: Vinyl and CD Preview Track: https://soundcloud.com/smalltownsupersound/biosphere-sweet-dreams-form-a-shade Tracklisting 01. Out Of The Cradle 02. Well And Purpose 03. Down On Ropes 04. Free From The Bondage You Are In 05. With Their Paddles In A Puddle 06. Than Is The Mater 07. Sweet Dreams Form A Shade 08. Aura In The Kitchen With The Candlesticks 09. Departed Glories 10. Whole Forests Of Them Appearing 11. Invariable Cowhandler 12. Behind The Stove 13. You Want To See It Too 14. In Good Case And Rest 15. Tomorrow Then We Will Attend 16. With Precious Benefits To Both 17. Fall Asleep For Me Promo Text It’s easy to forget that Norway shares a short stretch of frontier with Russia, right at the northernmost tip of the country. That region is where Geir Jenssen, the Norwegian electronic producer behind Biosphere, comes from, and where he has been composing his austere, disturbing and deeply textured ambience since the early 1980s. Biosphere has released many albums to date including Substrata, voted the greatest ambient album of all time on the Hyperreal website, and has collaborated with Arne Nordheim, Higher Intelligence Agency, Deathprod, Pete Namlook and Bel Canto. His 12th album Departed Glories is his first in almost five years and marks a new deal with the Oslo independent label Smalltown Supersound. On the cover is a photo of the Russian landscape taken more than a hundred years ago. It’s part of an incredible cache of recently discovered images by the photographer Sergei Prokudin-Gorsky, who pioneered a form of colour photography using three sheets of glass, and left us with a collection of hauntingly beautiful pictures of a vanished world that could have been taken on an iPhone. These are one of the inspirations for Jenssen’s latest project, which he began working on this project around five years ago, while he was based temporarily in Krakow, Poland. Living near the Wolski forest, his daily walk took him past sites – beautiful and at the same time terrible – where Poles had been executed during the second world war. After researching the area he discovered that a Polish medieval queen Bronislawa, had hidden among the trees with some nuns in the 13th century to escape the invading Tartar hordes, and that a monument to her memory had been built and then destroyed by invading Austrians in the 19th. It made him speculate about what kind of music someone like Bronislawa might have heard while trembling among the trees? Not real music, surely, but something the fears in the mind might conjure up. He went in search of local folk music, from Poland and Ukraine, and began to work with that material to transform it into something reflecting psychological trauma. Around the same time he stumbled on Prokudin-Gorsky’s photographs and was immediately struck by the way they brought history, with its long departed souls, a little bit nearer. One image in particular, of an Armenian woman in a forest in what is now Turkey, especially got under his skin. ‘The crystal clear yet haunting atmosphere fascinated me,’ he says. All of these inspirational elements came together to provide the necessary propulsion to make Departed Glories, an album that sets the back of the neck hairs quivering in just the same way. It’s almost entirely constructed from hundreds of snippets of Eastern European And Russian folk music recordings, melted together to transform them into 17 unsettling and occasionally blindingly radiant beatless tracks. Each sample fragment is like a sliver of glass plate, and like the photos, it has left a music that is radiant, ghostly and unforgettable.
    • By auxien
      the anisotroph sequence of singles begins with two tracks; IDM-style uptempo tracks with hints of modern electro, dark ambient, and glitch.

[bandcamp]2487596580[/bandcamp]

available at https://tsrono.bandcamp.com/album/anisotroph